Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 20-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #21
SHANNON
AstinaGT Regular

Car: bg astina 1993
ok i will have a whinge .... im a cabbie! i work beenleigh logan errors

most friday saturday nights i end up around marsen areas and im gettin sick to death of these moron cruises that happen as there are ****loads of wankers driving like dickheads up browns plains rd

i have been dangerously cut off, i have been rammed from behind , i have had 2 or 3 cars at once high beaming me because i wont go any faster than 60 kms ,doin do nuts at intersections then tail me because i have nearly hit them. it never stops...

yeah some cabbies do drive like dickheads ...but in defence for the australin cabbies we work 12 hours shifts for bugger all money put up with heaps of **** ,that doesnt excuse bad driving but alot of us get very aggitated after 12 hours of driving and 400- 500kms later ..u do do some silly things

i have done some stupid things myself inthe cab like stopping the morons around yatala beenleigh racing where they try to block of all four lanes, i will speed between them to stop this and get in front of them...i did that all the way back from southport to beenleigh one day! just to piss these idiots off there

i will be carrying a camera soon see if the police would like to look at some off this stuff
shannon
SHANNON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #22
SHANNON
AstinaGT Regular

Car: bg astina 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIlversp20 View Post
Dont forget the Taxis!!! Had one pull up past me (while on the highway doing 100klm) cut right infront of me, i was exiting, he cut accross the big white lines and almost ran into the hill / bridge. whats worse is it was a mazda mpv and he had pasangers in as well. he then proceeded to brake as hard as possible for the red light that was green!!!!! good thing i slowed down to avoid hitting him the first time. i think ill install a megaphone on my car for the next time that happens
it was stupid thing for him to do ....but u get wanker customers scream at u last minute GO LEFT OR GO RIGHT and the cabbie ****s himself and does it...people expect u to be mind readers and if u dont make the turn they will complain and cause **** for you..

in defence of cabbies
shannon
SHANNON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #23
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Well.... not a cabbie, but as sh1te as half of them are on the road, i try not to give 'em too much grief, as mentioned above, they r on the road 8-12 hours a day, u probably drive 1-2 hours a day so imagine your issues compounded 8 fold!!! Same for truckies, courier drivers and all the regular road users.

I wish i could practice the zen like wa i preach but i get bad road rage... often... very often, but on thursday evening i had an eye opening experience. Was driving down the highway doing a 110kph in the right lane overtaking some trucks. As i approach the off ramp this L plate driver in an acredited ABC driving car with all the advert boards sticking out every which way pulls across 2 lanes, then proceeds to sit in the right lane doing 80kph in a 110 zone. I wait a few seconds, doesn't move, so when i pulled around the left, wound down my window i politely asked the instructor if he had any intention of getting his student to change back into the left lane. I was told off for interfering, informed the road was there to share and that he had every right to be in the right lane doing 30 bellow the limit.

What's left to say, since that harrowing experience i seem alot calmer. Most of these dolts on the road simply don't know any better, and now i'll scare you! they never will. No cop will give them a fine even though by law he should, th3ey'll keep on driving well bellow the posted limit in whichever lane suites them.... and nothing you or i will ever say will have any affect on what they do! Life sucks, live with it.

Oh yeah, please be kind to us Motor bike riders. The vast majority are good drivers/riders, the rest are merely temporary Australians, soon to be organ donors, so lets not hurry the process. God 'ill sort 'em out soon enough.

P.S. i also hate 4wds. No curb is so steep that a normal car can't mount it, buying 2 ton cars for city driving is a crime.

End of rant, c u on the roads, and take care of yourselves peeps

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 20-08-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #24
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinncinatus View Post
i get bad road rage... often... very often
i dont get the road rage as such, but i have no issues will getting behind someone who has been pissing me off (crazy lane changes, driving way too slow, things that are more than slightly annoying) and hitting the high beams and spotlights for an instant.. combined effect apparently shocks ppl.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #25
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
i get really bad road rage.....my girlfriend has always wondered why until she sat in the passenger seat for the first time and nearly got taken out by a trady in a ute that wanted to get INTO the merging in lane....WHAT THE!..suddenly she had more road range in her then homer on a bad day.....another pet hate is yes...Couriers....even if they do spend alot of time on the road, i have been cut off, tail gated and even sworn at because i wanted to do the speed limit and he had somewhere to go....dont we all...also YES there are alot of people that dont know that you should keep left unless overtaking and if the instructor doesnt know it how are the rest going to learn.....People movers and GIGANTIC 4 wheel drives should be band, especially the ones with the bull bars....half of the idiots that drive them only do so because if they had a car they would have been killed by now....

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #26
Plutonus

Car: Traitor vehicle
Heavy raining tonight... get tail gated. Majeebus christ, I'd expect it in dry weather, but when its pouring down and really dark. I wonder sometimes...
Old 20-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #27
DavoAust

from what i've seen, the majority of people leave their brain at home when they get in the car. so many crashes with this rain we're having, yet i had a MACK TRUCK up my ass tonight. not even a 4wd, which can stop in a reasonable distance, but a big ass 18 wheeler that would go straight over the top of me..
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 21-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #28
zappy65

yeah dont worry i saw a motor bike rider that was weaving through traffic side swipe a 4x4 and didnt he fly.....all in the wet too....

Old 30-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #29
superduki

Car: 98 Nissan Patrol GU
Send a message via MSN to superduki
4wders

I myself own a mazda but also one of these big dirty ugly 4wd's. You will always get dickheads in them doing city driving, as you do with kia rios with bodykits thinking they are skylines. Everyone is entitled to drive on our public roads no matter where we are. Us 4wd'ers get sick to death of these rice daddys travelling from one side of the speed bump to the other just to get there stupidly low car over it, while we wait impaitently behind. Everyone has there problems with any other car that isnt the same as what they are into. So at the end of the day, cabby's are wankers, 4wders are wankers, ricers are wankers. Lets all get over it and give each other a big hug?? and just enjoy what we do.

My 2c, Superduki.
superduki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #30
GISS-90BG

Car: 1990 BG Astina
Sorry, but no. You can't compare modified cars to 4WD. People don't hate 4WD's because they think the drivers are wankers. They hate them because they cause major vision issues, they're dangerous to pedestrestians and cars in accidents and use a stupid amount of fuel. I don't care about the fuel, that's your problem if your prepared to spend the money, I'm not going to condemn you for burning huge amounts of fossil fuels to drive the kids to school. I will say that people should be more considerate when they buy a 4WD just because they like to be above everything, have good visibility and plenty of room without considering other road users.

I'm not telling you to sell your 4WD and that nobody should buy them, even if all they do is drive them in the city, but you can't compare them to modified cars because, in most cases, it's the DRIVERS that cause problems, not the cars themselves.
Old 31-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #31
superduki

4wd's

Exactly, so your saying its the drivers not the cars!? why blame 4wd's then?. Burning heaps of fossil fuel is not an issue here as my 4wd is a diesel and im sure many of these turboed or madly modified 4 bangers will use more fuel than my car. Also they will easily excel the speed limit and can cause i serious accident. If a 4wd was to crash, yes maybe a roll over would occur but I can tell you now I would feel safer in a 4wd than a car in a accident.

Superduki.
superduki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #32
zappy65

our point exactly....most people buy 4x4's because of the higher is safer factor...im pretty sure that i would feel safe with 2 tons of steel and bullbar compared to a honda civic....like i said in my last post if half the people who drive those big somewhat dirty things were in anything smaller they would probably be dead.....

Old 31-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #33
superduki

Probably but why does it matter? Everyone has a different opinion about every different car. Some people may like ford lasers, others might only like mazda 323's. I think each forum should just focus on what they enjoy and obviously in this case being astinagt should be on mazdas. I will keep driving my 4wd in the city at my own expense, i will also being driving it off the road as well. Each to there own.

Superduki!!
Old 31-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #34
zappy65

yeah like you said its just an opinion....but know i love all cars from 4x4's to H/backs....i work on 4x4's at work as well as Mazda 2 and if i only liked one type i vehicle i wouldnt call myself an enthusiast....oh and love the sudden pic of the fourby....lol..while where on the subject i have just finsihed helping my mate cut a patrol in half and fabricate a ute end for it ....it also got a 6" lift kit and a new supercharger.....isnt it a ball of fun...hits 3000rpm and puts you in the rear end of your seat...lol

Old 02-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #35
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduki View Post
Exactly, so your saying its the drivers not the cars!? why blame 4wd's then?. Burning heaps of fossil fuel is not an issue here as my 4wd is a diesel and im sure many of these turboed or madly modified 4 bangers will use more fuel than my car. Also they will easily excel the speed limit and can cause i serious accident. If a 4wd was to crash, yes maybe a roll over would occur but I can tell you now I would feel safer in a 4wd than a car in a accident.

Superduki.
Sorry champ, that's because you don't really understand how cars are built and with what purpose in mind. Big serious 4wds are built with flexibility in mind so that they won't snap their back going over rough terain, further, they are built very sturdily so as to be able to absorb the bigger hits and again, not brake. The payoff for this comes in lack of crumple zones, while the car is made to flex, it is deffinatly not made to crumple, so while it was true 20 years ago that it would be preferable to be in a 2 ton monster, today things are rather different. True your 4wd will suffer less apparant damage in an accident with a car wieghing 40% less, however, you'll notice the intrusion into the cabin will be far greater. In the smaller, modern car, alot more apparnt damage will be noticed, but the safety cell should be far more intact. This doesn't apply to older cars, pity is it still aplies to 4wds.

I'm putting my wife and kids into a modern people mover thanks. A car which might look sh1te but is built to protect its passengers not go over rough terrain.

I appologise if this post offends anyone. Being a little bit more informed can't hurt. Please don't take my word for it. Look for yourselves, there are plenty of technical articles relating to this very topic floating on the web which are easy to find/access.
Have a nice day.

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 03-09-2007 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Can't spell for sh1t
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #36
DavoAust

true 4wd's were never designed for day-to-day city use. there is no real good reason to have one as your city driver:
- lower safety factors in most 4wds as they have higher centres of gravity (and hence can roll much easier) and smaller crumple zones than a toyota echo
- higher fuel consumption. desiel or not, they suck more fuel
- less safe for other drivers. line up the front of a 4wd with your side intrustion bars. for all those ba drivers, i know that my side intrusion bars are LOWER than a pajeros front bullbar. i'm dead if i get hit side on, so are you.
- they are a pain in the ass for visibility, both for other drivers and the 4wd drivers themselves. take a look at the fatalities for children getting backed over by parents in 4wds, then compare it to cars.

i really dont like seeing 4wds going around the city, they are a hazard. softroaders (mini-4wds, terios style things, lower, smaller) are much more suitable for the city.

now could you please tell me a good reason for driving your big 4wd around the city?

oh, in regards to lowered cars going over speedbumps, yeah its annoying to ave to wait for them, but not as much as not being able to see past the 4wd parked next to you at the shops.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #37
GISS-90BG

Car: 1990 BG Astina
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduki View Post

Superduki.
I was referring to the drivers of modified cars, not the drivers of 4WDs. Modified cars don't make people speed. People do. You only have to take a drive around your local city on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll see that there's 5 beat up commodores for every one "ricer", driving at ridiculous speeds and in dangerous ways.

Your car isn't good on fuel because it's diesel, either. It just uses less fuel compared to a 4WD powered by petrol. Besides, I've said that doesn't bother me, that's your budget.

Fact is, peoples greed and lack of empathy will mean that the majority of people will not sacrifice their better visibility and feeling of security of a 4WD, even if they were aware of their problems. However, there is alot to be said for your comment that all road users should try and co-operate, and not see every other motorist as an enemy whenever you pull out of your driveway. As for the hug... we'll wait and see on that one.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #38
SIlversp20

Car: 2002 BJII sp20
Got cut off again yesterday on the highway to logan (tafe) from city. guy in a astra cut inbetween myself and a semi i left a Sh*t load of room between the semi and me (bout 3 to 4 seconds gap) theres noone behind me and he speeds up to cut infront of me and almost runs up the back of the truck!!! the looks at me in his rev mirror and smiles as i flash my high beams at him.
some people.
i dnt usually give people a hard time but its just getting worse with everyday that goes by. talk to anyone you know that drives a car and they will tell you that the were cut off, side swiped or something to that effect at least once a week.
i used to love drivin my cars round but now with sooooooooo many MORONS on the road it is too dangerous.
hope something gets done soon.
cheers great thread.

SIlversp20
SIlversp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #39
superduki

4wd's

Yeah fair enough as for poor visability and pain in the arse for parking behind or whatever. Driving it around the city as I described obviously led you off on the wrong foot. To go to 4wd tracks usually you must drive on a city road. Taking the car there does mean going through the city. Poor visability yeah i guess so. Covered in mud is also poor visability. So is covering your rural ute in stickers. Driving it to work is also a city trip. So all in all i have a 4wd that takes me to work, takes me up rugged terrain and also takes me there and back safely. Each to there own mate. Crumple zones..... Well you could debate this for hours cobber. You may have a ba or a people mover with all the jazz on it to protect you in a crash but i believe the bullbar, and air bags on my nissan may also help me in a crash. I dont want to annoy people in what i have said but as the chick on here that drives a cab has explained each type of vehicle isnt to blame. All cabbys arent dickheads, all 4b drivers arent dickheads and i guess some ricers arent dickheads. We are all entitled to drive on the roads just the same.
Oh and as for the sudden pic of my 4wd, i had no idea i could put it on there till recently.

Cheers Superduki.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #40
bozalina

Car: 01 sp20
Send a message via MSN to bozalina
4wds

I agree with both parties on this, as I drive my boyfriends 4wd at times, and i own a sp20 I can see the good and bad in both. Yes I hate not being able to see around 4wds sometimes but I also curse vans for that reason too, and nobody is bagging them out on here? On the other hand, being in a 4wd is just as good too, as it feels safer to me and I love having a change sometimes! Here in tassie though, driving a 4wd in the city is not as bad as say sydney or melbourne, because our city obviously has less people therefore less traffic!
bozalina is offline   Reply With Quote