Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 02-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Torza

Car: Mazda 323 Astina 1999 1.8
Send a message via MSN to Torza
Speakers For a Mazda Astina

hey guys i own a mazda astina 1999 model and i'm after some speakers 4 it i'm planing of putting polk momo speakers in it i was just after the size of the speakers i can use i think the fronts are 5" by 8" and i was planing to fit 6" by 9" in the back i know there a diffent size mount in the back but i was planing to cut it out let me know if that possiable
thx
Old 02-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
1999 is BJ? so the front speakers are 5x7, rears are 6x9 i think.

momo make speakers?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #3
Hebz
Funkoars - C.O.T.Y

Car: '96 Mazda Hardtop 323 Beast-Version
Haha no momo don't make speakers. Polk make speakers and the type he was referring to was the momo. Just like Alpine has 'Type R' Polk have 'Momo'. Atleast I assume polk makes momos I haven't checked it out yet. I know polk make some very nice speakers and even a cheaper pair of polks would be a nicer set than some cheap pioneer/sony speakers.

Some nice 6.5 inch speakers would fit snugly into that 5*7 Inch space provided.

Heb

Tha Hardtop Beast -- Gallery
Hebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
spend your money on the best 6" splits you can afford - forget the rears.
The standard speakers are 5x7 and you can fit a 6" in there with a wooden baffle
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
or you can just put 5x7 splits in there also, saves chopping up stuff and making moulds.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
milehigheric

Car: mazda astina 323 BG
a 5 x 7 speaker will NEVER sound as decent as 6",,,Installing a 6" speaker into any car thesedays is very simple. In most cases you don't even need pods, just a simple MDF spacer will do.

-Eric
milehigheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Question - why is 6" better than 5"x7"? I know nothing about ICE...

Ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
DavoAust

theory is that the round speaker design is superior for crisp smooth performance to the oval style speakers. mid-bass being better for round ones is another argument i've heard.

the general rule: if you buy crap speakers they will sound crap, no matter what shape. unless you are a true audiophile paying $$$ for speakers you don't really need to worry about the shape.

if you want to fit 6" speakers it shouldn't be an issue, i have 6" and there looked to be enough space for 6.5". all you need is some MDF and a jigsaw (oh, paint them to water proof them and they'll look better, then again, who looks in your doors).

EDIT: definately go for splits, with the tweeter up high. mine are on the door sill, right up next to the mirror almost. if you get 2/3 ways it'll sound like the music is at your feet not at head height
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
The difference between oval and round speakers is only apparent at high volume. Simply because round speakers are typically more rigid than oval.

However unless you're buying some very good speakers, backed by a good amp/head unit - any speaker will distort at high volume regardless of the shape.

If you're looking for a simple upgrade and prefer convenience over loud music - the oval 5x7s will be fine. I had a set of Eclipse 5x7 in my car and was happy with their sound - and I have picky ears !

I guess it depends on what you want from the stereo and how much effort you're prepared to put into installing it ( or $$ for a car audio workshop to do it )

Dave
Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
DavoAust

even if you do the install yourself, follow the fhrx studios install thats in this forum. It'll help get you the best result from whatever you buy. its not hard to do, took me a couple of hours to make speaker spacers/gaskets, remount my tweeters and begin to sound deaden my doors. thats including trips to bunnings and supercheap and for food for me and my mate. the only hard bit is getting the template for the spacer right.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
Torza

Car: Mazda 323 Astina 1999 1.8
Send a message via MSN to Torza
Yer i dont all my own work so far i got a amp in 4 it already and its all wired up just got get the speakers and put them in i might go 4 the 6" and make the mount i blow the frount speakers up so i will need to do it soon thx guys