Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #21
rolly

Car: Hirsch SAAB, Clio RS, Lantis R
You did a fantastic job George.

4 things I have learnt.
  • Don't turn up with a full tank of gas (I can still do another 200ks after driving home)
  • Loose the A/C for wieght savings
  • Do something with the standard suspension to enable the tyres to get some decent temperature in them.
  • Don't get in George's way

oh and the civic is not being excluded yet. If he turns up next time with a more standard suspension setup he will retain his points
rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #22
Badger

Car: Lantis-R
All good findings Simon And I fight fair... I'll hold my ground in the corners because I can't rely on my straight line speed to make up for quarter given around the curves. Unfortunately my incident with the Celica was an error of judgement on my part, I had to choose a side and chose the wrong one!!

It's a bit silly really, the Civic on supposedly non-legal suspension and running obviously bigger brakes (callipers hard up against the edge of 15" steel wheels!) and the Pug running 195 width tyres.... the rules have been published for 6 months now, everyone knows the deal, we've had to fall in line, I hope this is the end of leniency for blatant breaches of the regulations.

Last edited by Badger; 01-10-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolly View Post
You did a fantastic job George.

4 things I have learnt.
  • Don't turn up with a full tank of gas (I can still do another 200ks after driving home)
  • Loose the A/C for wieght savings
  • Do something with the standard suspension to enable the tyres to get some decent temperature in them.
  • Don't get in George's way

oh and the civic is not being excluded yet. If he turns up next time with a more standard suspension setup he will retain his points
turn up with half tank and 2x20L jerry cans. do 10L fills when required.

a/c parts = 30kg all up. loose it if it doesn't work.

get camber bolts or tops.

no advice re george's way.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
rolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
All good findings Simon And I fight fair... I'll hold my ground in the corners because I can't rely on my straight line speed to make up for quarter given around the curves. Unfortunately my incident with the Celica was an error of judgement on my part, I had to choose a side and chose the wrong one!!

It's a bit silly really, the Civic on supposedly non-legal suspension and running obviously bigger brakes (callipers hard up against the edge of 15" steel wheels!) and the Pug running 195 width tyres.... the rules have been published for 6 months now, everyone knows the deal, we've had to fall in line, I hope this is the end of leniency for blatant breaches of the regulations.
Mate I know you fight fair - was just given you a rubbing.

Both 205's have been warned about tyre size - and beleive it or not it's not the fast one kicking up a stink!

Tyson is being good about it - I think he is within the rules (just), he basically gets caught up in the 'over developed car' category. The car is boardlerline eligible anyway (standard) - so the extra development on top just makes it worse. I don't know enough about honda brakes to say either way.

I think I am hooked now, so will be happier to take out the luxury items like you to get a bit more speed.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
Badger

A/C is a reasonable weight saving and the shorter belt helps, although you've already got that Simon. It does help to clear airflow to the radiator too. It obviously doesn't make a massive difference to anything though, although it makes things in the engine bay much tidier and easier access.

project.r.racing, camber bolts etc aren't legal. as you have to retain original struts and geometry only using whatever factory adjustment was in the car in the first place.

Don't know what the pug guys are complaining about, tyre rules have been fixed for months.... tyre size was one of the big attractors of the Lantis which helps in longer races. The shame is the fast Peugeot is far too nice to race really, poor little thing's going to get a massive beating
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Rubbing is racing! Thanks for keeping us all up to date.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
Lantis racer

Car: 95lantis
All good points Rolly, we need to find 5 to 10 HP, what spark plugs are you guys using? I have heard good things about the Denso spark plugs but they are pretty pricey for a spark plug. After the season I want to take the engine out and see if I can get it on a dyno to have a play and see what we can do.

Tyson should have to carry 100KG more weight as the SIR engine that he is using the car was 300lb more than than the model he now has. I think that would make a bit of difference and suspension will slow him down.

That's funny about the 2 Pugs I don't care much about the slower one as he was miles behind me but the rules are the rules. The fast one is very very quick for a "standard car"

I'm not doing much development at this stage going to take the Air Con out and change the alternator as I developed problems during the races and that's about it maybe Simon we could get together and do the air con together over a couple of Saturdays as I'm guessing when you have done it once the second time will be much quicker.

It's been really interesting watching your videos George I think I can get to a half second from improving my lines. It's hard when you get behind the Celica and Currens as they slow you up on corners and if you get past them I have to run like the gingerbread man or else they swallow you on the straight.

Thanks for the tip on the Brakes they were the best part of the car.

I was happy with my weekend, got a couple of 1:29 lap times, drove the car home, found the problem which caused heat to raise in race 2 and made me take it easy from half way through the race and I finished in the top half in both races. I just need to sort the tyres out as I need to get into the 1:27's to start to make the top 10's that are my goal before seasons end.
Lantis racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
projectb10

Car: eunos presso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
A/C is a reasonable weight saving and the shorter belt helps, although you've already got that Simon. It does help to clear airflow to the radiator too. It obviously doesn't make a massive difference to anything though, although it makes things in the engine bay much tidier and easier access.

project.r.racing, camber bolts etc aren't legal. as you have to retain original struts and geometry only using whatever factory adjustment was in the car in the first place........
What is the braking performance of the Lantis like over the race distance? Is that something you could "develope"?
projectb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #29
Badger

Braking hasn't proven to be a problem at all, it's probably the strongest car in the field under brakes.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #30
rolly

Yup, the three of use use the same pads and I agree it would be a strength compared to the other cars.

Too bad we aren't along side the toyotas and hondas by the end of the straight to out break them!

Apart from the 3sge toyotas I would also say we have one of the least stressed engines as well - can't wait for the one hour to watch them start to drop off.

Mark - the tyres were the biggest factor in getting me in front of the celicas and currens. They basically took me from 'also ran' to in the top 10.

The other biggest factor in my results was qualifying well. I have the 12th fastest lap (actually it is worse than that because he has not put in lap times of cars that DNF'd), and yet I am 6th overall.

If you see me on race mornings in a grass skirt a bone through the nose and a stick jumping around and chanting, i'm just trying to make it rain.

The SAAB just got scrapped in the car park, so new springs may be off the menu now
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
How much are you allowed to change the engines?
The 2.5 KL in Japanese spec had larger port heads (KL-101 and KL-1A1). You would probably need to match a Millenia intake to it at the same time. See below

Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
rolly

Not allowed to change anything in the motor, otherwise all the honda boys will be putting type R parts in (they probably are).

If there is any questioning about your motor making more than stock HP it will be put on a dyno for you to prove.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #33
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Shame, I'd like to see how much power that combo would make.
Another option is to add a VRIS controller so you can tune when the valves in the inlet manifold operate. It'd need a little dyno time to tune but there may be gains in acceleration without changing power.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
if you guys need to drop a little bit of engine temp, i'd suggest removing the rubber strip at the front of the scuttle panel - i used to see a few ° drop.

Also a bit of extra rear toe will help in the corners, too. There's enough adjustment in the standard system to get +2mm which makes a world of difference. I'd even think about going to a (thinner) 1.8 front swaybar as that'll make it seem like the rear is thicker...lol

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #35
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
if you guys need to drop a little bit of engine temp, i'd suggest removing the rubber strip at the front of the scuttle panel - i used to see a few ° drop.
I'd argue against that. The more air you can push through the radiator the better, bypassing won't help as the engine isn't designed to be air cooled. That's just my view.
The ZXi front splitter (standard Mazda parts), if you can find one could see some benefit.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #36
Badger

Out in front, where she belongs!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #37
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
I'd argue against that. The more air you can push through the radiator the better, bypassing won't help as the engine isn't designed to be air cooled. That's just my view.
Perhaps, but it just means the hot engine bay air escapes from the back/top of the engine bay as well as the back/bottom area - still going through the radiator the same way as i see it.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #38
project.r.racing

i'd be looking at weight savings. if you cannot touch the suspension, engine or brakes. the dropping as much weight is the key to this comp.

carbon bonnet.
loose all interior.
loose all a/c components.
use soft compound tyres. mediums or hards wont get enough heat in them to work properly.
find a type r gearbox with lsd.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #39
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
i'd be looking at weight savings. if you cannot touch the suspension, engine or brakes. the dropping as much weight is the key to this comp.

carbon bonnet.
loose all interior.
loose all a/c components.
use soft compound tyres. mediums or hards wont get enough heat in them to work properly.
find a type r gearbox with lsd.
Clearly haven't read the thread or the thread title.

It's already a type R with the Type R box.
Interior must be complete,
A/C is already removed,
Tyre compounds are regulated, we're already using one of the better compounds available.
Bodywork must be stock, we have already removed the optional sunroof and replaced with carbon.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #40
project.r.racing

Yup read the whole thread. I guess since you haven't even thrown up a link to the supp regs that we're all guessing on ways to help.

I guess the comp can be pretty lop sided since you need to keep things completely stock. I also guess when deciding to compete in this type of comp, that vehicle selection really need to be though out before purchase.