Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 09-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
MMM323

Question Manual Conversion

Heya Guys,

Im considering "maybe" converting my auto SP20 to a manual. I was wondering what will be an estimate on costs to get it done? Bear in mind I wont be doing any of it myself. Also how long would someone need my car for to get it done?
I know Chicaboo has already done this so I await his answers and those others who have some knowledge on this topic.

Cheers Colin.
Hollandia 700 Sunroof.Kenwood MP3 Player
Kenwood 7inch monitor.Stubby Antenna
Upgraded Tail lights.Phillips Crystal Vision Bulbs to Parkers,Low Beam & High Beam.Clear indicators
Slimline PS2 custom installed in glovebox B1 blue interior light B1 VIP Moody Interior light(purple)
Brake Calipers painted silver Ferodo Excel Rear pads EBC Greenstuff Front Pads
MMM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The Chicaboo method would be the best option.
Buy a manual SP20 and swap all your good stuff across before selling the auto SP20. With the amount of ECU control the auto setup has it's just too much stuffing around.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
MMM323

Hmmm. Im just not prepared to buy a manual and swap everything over. too much trouble for me personally. so this isnt an option.
Upgraded Tail lights.Phillips Crystal Vision Bulbs to Parkers,Low Beam & High Beam.Clear indicators
Slimline PS2 custom installed in glovebox B1 blue interior light B1 VIP Moody Interior light(purple)
Old 09-12-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hey dude,

Yes I ended up swapping the car and put the mods across, that was enough of a pain, but now I know the differences of the auto and manual, it was definately the easier option. I haven't been having a great time with my manual, the clutch is rooted and my drivers door needs adjustment, sounds easy, but turns out nothing is...
Anyhow, I don't get the smile out of my mildly modded manual that I did from my gay auto. And I have quite a bit of work to do on the car to get the same feeling I once did. As slow as the auto was, it was a smoother more refined car (heavier in the nose you see)...
If you want, I have a very rare Ford/Mazda automatic shop manual that I could sell you for $15. It goes through the gearbox assembly and removal for the purpose of maintenance, etc... But if you read my rantings from a few months ago, you'll also know that I found the SP23 auto gears fit your gearbox! This would've been a much nicer mod for my 1.8 than the whole car swap...

Cheers,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #5
dfvadr

Car: ss , sp20 , 94ba
man if you think swapping so accesory's over is a hassle , wait till you try the conversion , i no you said you wont do it but think off the cost you will encounter clutch $250, gearbox thousands pedal master cylinder slave cylinder probly different engine mounts at the gearbox end im not sure the computer is the same im sure the labour is going to be at least what the parts cost on top [oh yer is the cranksharft the same for the input sharft in an auto /manual ]
there is a thread in the 4sales off some-one crying to get an auto , so i would find a good manual an sell them yours for the same money , good luck
- 18"ame's
- custom interior
- kenwood head unit , pioneer speakers driven by 800 watt amp , kicker subs driven by 1000 watt amps each sub [135.2db at supernats], two 1th caps 4 tv screens dvd player
- xbox
- airbag suspension with gas strut towers
- custom plates an airbrushing on bonnet
dfvadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
another vote for buying a good manual sp20 and swapping stuff over then selling the auto
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Just doing a manual to manual conversion is painful enough with a Mazda. I'm still in the process of doing one.

Realistically, your best bet is take out a loan, buy a manual, transfer your stuff across and then sell the auto (as Gav did). Or even finding a nice manual and trading yours in. the $ cost might be better than the hassle of doing all that

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
MMM323

Thanks guys. Ive now come to the conclusion that its just going to be too costly and too much of a hassle to go ahead with. Looks like ill keep me car do a few other mods then when im ready to upgrade I will buy a manual. That seems like the most logical thing to do.

Colin.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
dfvadr

Car: ss , sp20 , 94ba
thats wise good luck
- 18"ame's
- custom interior
- kenwood head unit , pioneer speakers driven by 800 watt amp , kicker subs driven by 1000 watt amps each sub [135.2db at supernats], two 1th caps 4 tv screens dvd player
- xbox
- airbag suspension with gas strut towers
- custom plates an airbrushing on bonnet
dfvadr is offline   Reply With Quote