Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 04-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
tacety

Car: 1992 astina 323, 1990 astina turbo
starlet gt turbo

hay guys
sorry if this has been discussed before but would i need much work to my internals and computer and if so a estimate of the cost??

my car is a bg 1992 sohc
the turbo is a c12 out of a toyota starlet 1989 and since the starlet turbo isnt that big or powerful i thought it could work on a sohc engine, maybe?

please any advice is very much welcome

cheers
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
no different to turboing a dohc motor...
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Yeh but a starlet is a much smaller motor so adding it to a 1.8 could create peekie boost at best.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Cie_SP20

Car: Mazda 323 SP20
Send a message via MSN to Cie_SP20
As far as i know (my b/f owns a GT Starlet) they come out with a CT9 Turbo. This Turbo is even too small for the 1.3 litre motor and runs out of puff at about 5000rpm, and is useless for anything the over 14psi. If you're going to do a turbo conversion i'd go for somthing bigger. I believe the CT12 is one of the two turbos on the supra 3L engine.
Cie_SP20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
SOHC V DOHC when it comes to FI - it means BUGGER ALL.

it's just that with DOHC more valves you can achive better head flow simple as that.

but look qat al lth RB30 -SOHC do alot better then the DOHC most DOHC conversion really have not done a whole lot better and Definatly NOT WORTH the extra cost IMO.

best turbo 2nd hand right now would be any BB off a 2L factory.
cheap look at RB20 Turbo's or stock BP etc.

as noted the turbo is small already on the startlet. great for small low boost application. thats about it.

Alos consider looking into say a SAAB turbo 2nd hand. some the latter 93's with the hi output option ran some decent turbochargers. most sit on shelves for years doing nothing at some wreakers.
I used and older 9000 turbo model one had T3 rear and it was perfect match on a cordia.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
wat bout second hand ones of a CA18 or SR20swhats wrong with a small turbo but? wouldnt it b better to have power straight away than massive lag for power later? most ppl with turbod cars never take their car to a track nor is there alot of open long roads where one might take advantage of a bigger turbo with power later on. imo if you have a auto get a bigger turbo cus u wont have much lag then cus of lack of gear changing n not lifting throttle . most turboed cars in SE QLD are used to show off of a set of lights anyway (apart for a few thursday nites ) in which case a smaller one would b better for 0-60 km/h cus most roads here have a 60K limit anyway
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
wat bout second hand ones of a CA18 or SR20swhats wrong with a small turbo but? wouldnt it b better to have power straight away than massive lag for power later? most ppl with turbod cars never take their car to a track nor is there alot of open long roads where one might take advantage of a bigger turbo with power later on. imo if you have a auto get a bigger turbo cus u wont have much lag then cus of lack of gear changing n not lifting throttle . most turboed cars in SE QLD are used to show off of a set of lights anyway (apart for a few thursday nites ) in which case a smaller one would b better for 0-60 km/h cus most roads here have a 60K limit anyway
a little turbo can restrict flow as you go past its peak limit. on the upside it does spool up faster so less lag. problem is you're restricting your power band and putting a lot of stress on the turbo.

you could always get a big turbo and run an anti-lag setup

am i right in thinking that the starlets have a 1.3L turbo motor? so that turbo would be way to small for the BP
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
rodhog

Actually if this were 1992 it would not be considered too small if you consider the factory sized B6 and BP turbo chargers from IHI used. Again same on the larger F series motors.

Things have changed. But also the technology has changed.
IMO anyone do modern FI add on is silly not to take advantage of the situation.

70NYD Your right in alot of ways. Many a person does put on a oversized turbo. Usually for more of WANK factor.

Depending on ones limitations - Be budget - 90% reason or due to what they are trying to achive.

straight line - drag racing ( lets not mention street here)
You are looking at keeping yor car on song on boost across the 1/4mile. Large turbo chargers and depending on setup- anit-lag if manual - nitrous shot - Transbrake -stall converter. All help out.

But they limt you in daily use if in a car that does not have enough to cover. In effect anything below 3 or 2.5L and not RWD.

A good street setup or Improvment should be based on overall power across the range. It's very easy and cheap these days to do a simple turbo charge install. but many still get it wrong. Moslty because budget is waste on things not needed. EG monster coolers and turbochargers too big ofr the application - EG one desgined for 18- 32PSI running 5psi.
Or having ignition timming retarded so far from off bosot and idle so it can run higher levels of boost. A very common fault on many aftermarket S/C and T/C isntalls for V8's these days. Where the kit costing $3000 off ebay - simple cam and mild head modifications and ECU interceptor can create a better engine and performance outcome.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
a little turbo can restrict flow as you go past its peak limit. on the upside it does spool up faster so less lag. problem is you're restricting your power band and putting a lot of stress on the turbo.

you could always get a big turbo and run an anti-lag setup

am i right in thinking that the starlets have a 1.3L turbo motor? so that turbo would be way to small for the BP
u can allways get a wastegate that bypasses the turbo after a certain manifold pressure is achived. then you dont overwork the turbo right?
Old 05-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Buzz_LightYear

Car: 00 wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
am i right in thinking that the starlets have a 1.3L turbo motor?
i think starlet gt's run a 1.5 lt turbo motor.

could you look into the i think its the tdo4 off an EJ20t (wrx) there a resonably small turbo so lag is down and there off a 2l engine

White MY00 WRX with some good stuff to make it drive nicely .
13.74 @ 156km/h Beneraby Raceway
1:14.75 Wet Track @ Lakeside Park

My Mazdaspeed 12a powered 1977 mazda 929
its progress http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t..._boy123/NYN29/
Buzz_LightYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
tacety

hay thanks everyone
i just want a little power gain just to keep other cars on there toes lol
and i thought since its a small turbo, i wouldnt receive much problems??
and since its a small power turbo would i need to do work on internals etc...??
Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Have you thought about how much this will cost for such a little gain?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mondeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_LightYear View Post
i think starlet gt's run a 1.5 lt turbo motor.
nope, 1.3

and they go pretty hard.

I've passengered in one around Winton, and it accelerates quite hard, it feels faster than a Mazda6 MPS.

71.3kw@5341rpm - 394.4nm@3968rpm - Protek Dyno.
2000 Mazda MX5
hks_kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #14
tacety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
Have you thought about how much this will cost for such a little gain?
yes mate. i stated it in my first post but i dont no if anyone read it?? lol
those anyone have a rough estimate??
Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #15
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacety View Post
yes mate. i stated it in my first post but i dont no if anyone read it?? lol
those anyone have a rough estimate??

Cost depends on many issues

Murphys law is the biggest issue

then it's about how you want to do it and what is the desired out come.

I budget $20K for every project even when the car starts out at $500.
As I don't have time to do all the work myself anymore I must budget it in.

about $7 last was paint job and $5K labour. Rest was parts. And I don't skimp and that was just a simple engine swpa with improvments along the way.

I recently worked out I would of only personally save $800 for labour because it would of meant time Iwas not working O/T or my other Jobs. Plus it would of taken longer. Again more time and money spend organzing other things like storage of parts.

Over all IMO any decent engine modification Correclty done will always cost more then you think.
It will depend on how much you do your self and how much you have to account for.

Theroy wise
It's not much different to what we did years ago in turbocharging a a Excel.

Most expensive item was D5 Fuel only ECU. nd hand it was $300. Manifold was simple cut and weld stock and then everything elsewas 2nd hand.
I estimate it was back in 01 about $2000 of stuff spent.
because soon as we fired it up etc - we broke stuff like Cv's and gearbox which was already half gone.
it might of been a $200 turbo - but it cost us in the end when it broke it's ceramic rear wheel and we had to get another one. this time cost more but we used a SAAB turbo. $300 it was worth it never failed and had the right flange and all.
That was true backyard style.
It worked but it didn't last. because someone turned up the bosot after I had the fuel tuned right. It ran fine on 8psi and ignition timing I had it retarded just slighlty enough not to ping. But some people don't listen

today with even a 2nd hand LT8 or similar microtech with ignition control makes it safer but still you need right loom PC laptop programe etc etc.
The main heart beat is ECU and you need it right and tuned right. This is where cost is msot involved. If had the budget I'd use higher end equipment but as I have found its more about the tuen and the build of either motor or what specs are put into it.

It's why I would not bother turbo SOHC. Personally

I'd buy a full packaged FE DOHC from and importer 2.0L power equivlant and bit over a SR20DE and drop that into it. Adopt engine mounts the factory G-series 626 box.
Bingo you have power to weight ratio and most expesnive item will be a decent ECU to run it.
Or even buy a latter FS-Ze - still a bit over $1000 but some float around from 626's and Crono's

There are many better options and better money spent.

you could drop a SOHC 12 valve F2, 2.2L might not make KW's but it's Torque would feel great in small car.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
tacety

woahhh thanks rodhog
i never knew that i would that much work and money for such a small project
so, obviously it would just be a waste of time lol
thanks guys for all your help

cheers
Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #17
rodhog

It's always going to be a waste of time if your not in the trade or don't have the money to throw away.

I'm so silly I throw about $200 a week sometimes usually min is $50 at the TAB. If I kept that money during the NRL season, I'd be able to buy a new - something my cars need.

In alot of cases if you can't do it your self modifications to any car will take more money.

I'm currently in a 2 weeks of None of my mazdas running because I don't want to spend the moeny Again and I've broken more parts etc.
One car is close to stock and it's still got problems.

Bottomless pits are what cars are making modifications make the pitts deeper and wider. But some of us never learn.