Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 25-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
sandman_kar
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2003 Mazda 6 Luxury Sport Hatch
Send a message via MSN to sandman_kar
Subwoofer in a Mazda 3

Hey folks bit of a dilemma. Just taken ownership of Mazda 3 Neo and wanting to get my subwoofer and amp installed. Ive been told i should take out the stock head unit and get an aftermarket one with a new facia installed. Has anyone done this and if so are there any pics of what it might look like? Im a lil worried it might look tacky in a newer car cos it might not blend in with the dash.
sandman_kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
all new cars are like that nowadays. i couldn't be bothered with my neo rebuilding the dash facia to fit a new HU.

they might have pics on OMC if you really wanna do it.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
I suppose it depends on what features you want. I certainly wouldn't replace the stock head unit just because its stock.

You can connect the stock head unit to an amplifier, sub etc with a Line Out Converter ( LOC ). This usually gives very good results, converting the speaker out from the stock unit to the line level inputs that your amp will need. Your amp may already have a low pass filter to separate the sub channel, or you can buy one separately, cheaply.

You can also get accessories for the stock Mazda 3 head unit to connect an iPod or usb stick etc and control it ( skip tracks etc ) directly from the standard controls.

You'll get better results for your $$ in my opinion by keeping the standard unit, getting a LOC and spending your money on something like better speakers.

Or if you really want a nice aftermarket unit that keeps the standard look of the interior, maybe try this :
http://www.ryda.com.au/Polaris-Mazda...-p/pid3035.htm

Old 25-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
sandman_kar
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2003 Mazda 6 Luxury Sport Hatch
Send a message via MSN to sandman_kar
well yer thats the thing all i really wanna do is to get my sub and amp installed. Im happy to keep the stock head unit cos i think its good the way it is. Id like to get an ipod adaptor but thats about it. I asked an auto electrician and he didnt seem very confident once i said it was a mazda 3. He told me i should put an aftermarket one in cos it would be better. Maybe ill just take it to sumone whos a lil more optimistic haha
sandman_kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
The LOC method is tried and true.

Maybe search the pages on a car audio dedicated forum if you're not sure.
http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/

I find if you'll get far better results from a car audio store/workshop than an auto electrician. Especially if you can tell them exactly what you want them to do.

You're profile says you're in Wantirna. Go check out Stylyn in Boronia - they've well known and trusted in the car audio scene.

http://www.stylyn.com/

If you want a good LOC get the Navone brand ( David Navone is a big name in car audio compeitions in the US )
http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7
They will get you much better sound quality than a cheapy no-name from your local auto store.

Stylyn should be able to get one for you.