Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 26-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
lewwy

Car: '01 Astina SP20
SP20 speakers

Hi All,

I was looking at upgrading the speakers in my Astina SP20. I know that they are 5x7's in the front and 6 round in the back, but I was wondering if it was possible to put 6x9's in the front. Would this need fabrication? If so, how much?

And is the difference between 5x7's and 6x9's much? I was thinking about getting some HERTZ speakers.
lewwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 26-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
well dude its way easyer to just get a 6 inch specker in there. i got some brakets from northfielf (for free ) they came out of a pack of alpine speakers. they ha them just sitting there. about 6 sets lol, when i put my eclips gear in my car. and it work a treat. 6-9's are to hard to fit and will sound crap.

hertz speakers tho. i haven't herd of them before....

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
lewwy

yeah my brother knows about them, apparently they're italian and they're pretty good. My local autobarn sells them.
Old 26-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Lachlan
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2001 323 Astina SP20
if youre keen on putting 6 x 9s in maybe just put them in the rear parcel shelf like i have?

i put 6" in front and rear doors and 6"x9"s in the back parcel shelf.

CLICK IMAGE FOR MY PROJECT WORKLOG.
Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
I would recommend a either a set of 6.5" or 5"x7" splits in the front doors and 6" 2 or 3 ways in the back doors.
But I wouldn't recommend Hertz though as I bought a set of $900 Hertz Splits and went thru 3 sets of them in 1 month,
The australian rep told me he was going to "bypass the active crossover protection" as this was a known fault.
I asked how he intended to do this and he said by soldering a wire bypassing the active protection he then faxed a page showing what to do to where I bought them from.
I looked at the diagram and discovered it was shorting out the thermal overload circuit, I called a few speaker repairers then called the rep back and told him I would be returning 3 sets of destroyed speakers and will be getting a full refund as the goods were not fit for their intended purpose and not as described as well as not what you would expect in a pair of $900 competition speakers, after that he started yelling at me down the phone.

I replaced those speakers with a set of JL Audio Evolution ZR 650 CSi Splits making my entire car JL Audio and have never looked back.
I would highly recommend JL Audio to anyone. One of my amps is about 5 years and still as good as new.
Just sit down when you ask for the price of the ZR series.
Mine were $1399 RRP at the time!!
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
lewwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildough View Post
I would recommend a either a set of 6.5" or 5"x7" splits in the front doors and 6" 2 or 3 ways in the back doors.
But I wouldn't recommend Hertz though as I bought a set of $900 Hertz Splits and went thru 3 sets of them in 1 month,
The australian rep told me he was going to "bypass the active crossover protection" as this was a known fault.
I asked how he intended to do this and he said by soldering a wire bypassing the active protection he then faxed a page showing what to do to where I bought them from.
I looked at the diagram and discovered it was shorting out the thermal overload circuit, I called a few speaker repairers then called the rep back and told him I would be returning 3 sets of destroyed speakers and will be getting a full refund as the goods were not fit for their intended purpose and not as described as well as not what you would expect in a pair of $900 competition speakers, after that he started yelling at me down the phone.

I replaced those speakers with a set of JL Audio Evolution ZR 650 CSi Splits making my entire car JL Audio and have never looked back.
I would highly recommend JL Audio to anyone. One of my amps is about 5 years and still as good as new.
Just sit down when you ask for the price of the ZR series.
Mine were $1399 RRP at the time!!
Yeah... but the thing is it that I'm not so much buying competition speakers. I just want something to replace whats better than stock. Surely the thermal overload thingy wouldnt trip for normal use?

Also I'm not so keen on putting splits in my car, cuz then I'd have to put a hole in the triangle thingy next to the window to fit the tweeter. Can you get speakers that have the tweeter already in them?

I'll still have a look around for different brands etc. I know Clarion makes pretty good stuff, but is the quality retained at the lower end of their product range also? I'm looking at spending about $250-$300 for a pair.
Old 27-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
You can get speakers that have the tweeters built in, they are called 2 or 3 way speakers. The better ones have external crossovers.

But you dont have to drill holes as most come with adaptors for different installations and may look OK on your dash, mine are stuck on with double sided tape.

I was only suggesting not to buy Hertz as have had a few mates who have also had faulty sets of their cheaper speakers and I had crap service.

I wouldn't call my stereo massivly powerful or competition grade either.
My front splits are rated at 175W RMS and they are getting only 45W RMS so they could handle a lot more!!
It just sounds incredibly clear now and if I bothered to install them properly and sound deaden the doors with bigger amps I would have an amazing stereo.
As far as which brand to buy at your price range, the best thing I could suggest is to try listening to a few speakers in the shop if you can.
This is a really good guide to follow when buying speakers, I know its advertising but its correct>

You could buy a pair of these speakers as they are around $200 and are 5X7's and would slot straight in,
There is also a set of Boston Acoustics that are around the $300 mark that sound really nice.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
I have a set of the JL Audio 5x7's that phildough suggested above, and they really are a great sounding speaker, I have had them in my car for near 4 years now without a drama.
Old 28-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
RustyKaos

Car: 1998 BA 323 Astina Hardtop
Same set I have in my front doors. Awesome sound for there value. I also have the 6x9 version of these in the rear. I will eventually get the 500/1 amp to run 2x 12" subs but that will be down the track.

Come challenge me. I dare ya.
RustyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote