Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 23-11-2004, 03:43 AM   #1
n2o2go

2000 1.8 atina basic mod question

g day guys. wondering what sought of performance will be gained on my 94kw engine if i replaced the factory exhaust with a aftermarket set up.

i have plans of using a remis style muffler with a twin pipe on the rear.
2.1/4-2.1/2inch ehaust(mandriel bent)pipe
and 4.2.1 extractors.

with this will be a K&N air filter... not the pod type.
split fire plugs and running on 98 ron fuel.

trans is manual

has any one done this sough of work to their car and what has been the overall satisfaction. Im also after to change the not slightly but not deeply, like the effect you would get out of a canon tip.

thank stu
Old 23-11-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
first of all before we discuss what pipe size works best, do you plan on doing any further mods?

our engines, the 1.8 and 2.0, gain a lot from a full exhaust. also, you may want to consider a cold air intake like the injen one to get the most out of the engine and the exhaust mod
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
You might want to look at some of these threads....

http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3116
http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3533

and a couple more generic ones...

http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=942
http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Funny reading back through my very post ever just then. Ahhh, those were the goold old days... In a time before stones chips!
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
n2o2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
first of all before we discuss what pipe size works best, do you plan on doing any further mods?

our engines, the 1.8 and 2.0, gain a lot from a full exhaust. also, you may want to consider a cold air intake like the injen one to get the most out of the engine and the exhaust mod
as far as other mods go its a no.... want to keep the thing pretty much stock, bar the bolt ons.. want to still acheive good mileage out of it.
Old 27-11-2004, 02:48 PM   #6
n2o2go

guys ang girls, im in sydney and require a repertable exhaust shop to this kind of work for me... the threads posted, which I thank you for have been a big help and it feels to me that, thats the way i want to go.

I heard some good things come out of parramatta exhaust and a freind uses them for some of there gen 3 cars from there work shop.
any one recomend some one, please.

already got an idea on prices, so i know what im looking at spending
Old 27-11-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
twilightprotege

Quote:
as far as other mods go its a no.... want to keep the thing pretty much stock, bar the bolt ons.. want to still acheive good mileage out of it.
2" exhaust and no more.
Old 27-11-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Most of the initial engine mods will improve the ease your engine breaths, CAI and Exhaust. With this will come a bit more power and a sweeter note.
Your right foot will determine the mileage.
Old 27-11-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy
2" exhaust and no more.
Existing pipe is 2" so that means just stick a muffler on the end ($100-200) and cheap header on the front ($300-400) and it should qualify as just bolt-on. Pacemaker, WildCat and HiTech (not my favourite) all do mild steel headers, and I think HiTech also do a stainless steel version?
You can take the big plastic intake resonator off before the oem airbox and put a panel filter in there for a few hp too (same as SRI). Since I've discovered you don't really get any fresh air from that resonator I don't think this makes your engine suffer much worse in the heat department. Otherwise you can get a uni-filter SRI rampod which is $175, and it should work better than what I just mentioned...

Gav.

EDIT: For the short term I'm in the same position as you, but since I'm getting a Microtech ecu soon and adding a turbo later I've been advised to get a 2.25" exhaust with intake, headers and exhaust as described. This should be good for 130whp or 97kW atw...
Old 27-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
twilightprotege

is the stock really 2"?

but either way, w/o doing anything but bolt ons, a 1.8 will survive with a mandrel bent 2" system - esp if fuel economy is a concern
Old 27-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #11
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
is the stock really 2"?
Yep, the experts have been telling me that for ages, and I actually had my head under the car this afternoon and to my eyes it looks about 2" aswell. The stock exhaust only has 1 resonator too.

Gav.
Old 27-11-2004, 08:49 PM   #12
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

My 929 came with a 2" system. I now have 2 1/2" cat and 2 1/4" back. It's realy hard to tell the difference when looking at it but driving was the real test... It passed
Old 27-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #13
arden

Car: Suby
i remember reading somewhere ages ago, its like 1.75" piping or something..so pretty much 2"
arden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2004, 10:49 PM   #14
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrelli
i remember reading somewhere ages ago, its like 1.75" piping or something..so pretty much 2"
Pi Ar squared, 1.75" and 2" aint close in area :shock:
Old 27-11-2004, 11:14 PM   #15
arden

Car: Suby
Well the funky pipe to 1st cat is 1.75" then it 2" all the way back.
arden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 10:17 AM   #16
geetee

Car: A Mazda 323F BJ Sport.
Send a message via MSN to geetee
might not be 2".
i thought mine was 2" but its actually 1 7/8ths.
or in metric 48mm.
plus the mandrel bends will make a difference.
i know its only 3mm difference, but with straight pipes and less bends and kinks as standard you should see some small gains.
i`ve also got a remus muffler with twin tails and that also has a 51mm pipe going in, standard muffler - 48mm. :wink:
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 03:06 PM   #17
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
With the exhaust dispite it seems that the stock pipe is 2" i would personally go for a 2/1/4 and no bigger if dont plan on doing any more mods.

With the headers if u dont want to spend big dollars like for awr or obx (which are worth it as they have the highest dynon proven power gains) I would go for the pace maker headers they have the best rep for mild grade steel headers and pace maker have a good reputation and they arnt overly deer. I had a quote for $320 fitted.

Power gains id expect that you would see with the headers and the system a 10-15% power gain (dont quote me)but you will see alot more throttle responsiveness and a boost in fuel economy if your right foot isnt to well aquainted with the accelerator.

As for exhausts shops dont just look for the cheapest as there are alot of dodgy shops out there that will through anything on your car and when you get home you will find that the exhaust note is either crap or way to loud, trust me i know from experiance it took 5 mufflers with my blue Mazda to get an alright note and even then I was still wanting it a little quieter.

Goodluck with what ever you do and I have that you come out with a sweet exhaust note.
tidy protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #18
n2o2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy
2" exhaust and no more.
Existing pipe is 2" so that means just stick a muffler on the end ($100-200) and cheap header on the front ($300-400) and it should qualify as just bolt-on. Pacemaker, WildCat and HiTech (not my favourite) all do mild steel headers, and I think HiTech also do a stainless steel version?
You can take the big plastic intake resonator off before the oem airbox and put a panel filter in there for a few hp too (same as SRI). Since I've discovered you don't really get any fresh air from that resonator I don't think this makes your engine suffer much worse in the heat department. Otherwise you can get a uni-filter SRI rampod which is $175, and it should work better than what I just mentioned...

Gav.

EDIT: For the short term I'm in the same position as you, but since I'm getting a Microtech ecu soon and adding a turbo later I've been advised to get a 2.25" exhaust with intake, headers and exhaust as described. This should be good for 130whp or 97kW atw...
thanks for your reply gav.. have you got a link to the sri rampod set up so i can have a squizz..

what do they make at the wheels factory?
Old 28-11-2004, 05:33 PM   #19
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
i think the one he is refering to is http://www.unifilter.com.au/new_products.asp
tidy protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 09:50 PM   #20
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o2go
thanks for your reply gav.. have you got a link to the sri rampod set up so i can have a squizz..
what do they make at the wheels factory?
The unifilter link Tidy put up is the one you want. SRI WILL give you more power than CAI, I've been doing the comparisons at home. But the engine is sucking mildly? hotter air than stock unless you duct some fresher air up to the rampod via 1 or more methods. SRI is more noisy too, keep that in mind.
The 1.8L engine puts out 64-66kW atw and the 2.0L puts out around 72kW atw. I'm aiming to break 100kW atw NA next year with the mods I mentioned in my previous post...

Hope this helps,
Gav.