Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 17-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #201
323Racer

Car: 97 323 astina
got a quote on a full exhaust system...500 for genie extractors, 300 for magnaflow high flow catalytic converter and 470 for spiral 2' catback piping to ruduce noise level and increase air flow in high revs
323Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #202
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
is that a mandrel bend exhaust.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #203
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
dont worry about a highflow cat. just get one off a commodore. work almost as well and cheaper..
500 is a bit expensive isnt it??
whats the spiral cat back?
is it spiral piping?
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #204
ranoverbyamazada

Car: 84/ford courier/91 astina sp
hi you all
just one thing getting back to the wheel sizes i have been racing in speedway
and have measered the differance between sizes13,16 with the 16 on i would get more top speed by about 10kmh and lose a bit of lower speed all what we come up with is the rpm would rev out more by 600-1000rpm with the 16 on the oval track is about 450meters we were going around in 21second.
my little race car was a datsun 120y coupe with a14 twin 40mmwebbers import gsx rally head 30/70 cam flatout second gear would get 110-115km really floging it.
ranoverbyamazada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #205
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
323 racer, get your hands on the commodore cat, get them to fit it, it'll be a lot cheaper (i remember $50, but that was from a wreckers i think for the cat). the extractors are a little expense seeing as i got quoted around $350 for off the shelf ones (i think they were genie too).

does the $470 include the muffler and tip?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 01:37 AM   #206
323Racer

well i've already got the cannon...n they've said there no diff between a straight through muffler n tip and a cannon..so i thought well i mite aswel keep that on...

no its not mandrel bent...but he mentioned something about ceramic piping....does that ring a bell... and the spiral piping is just bending the cat back into a loop and then into the cannon so the airflow has some bends to bounce around before it goes out the cannon...this therefore quietens down the sound but increases airflow at high ranges

u mean a commodore catalytic converter??
Old 18-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #207
DavoAust

hmm i'm assuming he means ceramic coated piping, its still stainless steel or mild steel. they coat the extractors and sometimes the downpipe in ceramic to contain the heat and keep engine bay temperatures low. they still have to bend the piping somehow, if its not mandrel then its crush bent.

i've never gotten quotes on it though. wtf is with the spiral? from what i understand about exhausts is the entire point is NOT to have bends etc, as they disturb the airflow, slowing the air and reducing flow. i would be expecting less power due to the spiral than a normal exhaust.

for the price i'd want:
- ceramic coated extractors and down pipe
- mandrel bent stainless steel piping
- 12" resonator to give a deeper not (2 maybe even)

then you get a commodore cat converter (any recent model will do, they'll flow enough for your car) and give it to him, save your self a couple of hundred. oh and no spiral..
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 20-01-2008, 02:27 AM   #208
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
wtf is with the spiral? from what i understand about exhausts is the entire point is NOT to have bends etc, as they disturb the airflow, slowing the air and reducing flow. i would be expecting less power due to the spiral than a normal exhaust.
From what I know, yes there will be a power loss with spiralling the exhaust but only for top end power (high rev ranges). There will be gains in initial acceleration though (or low end power, low rev ranges). The power loss at top end is due to the exhaust being more restricted when there is more bad gases trying to get out because of the spiralling. So really depends what you're after.

My mate just had his catback exhaust done this way today on his EK Civic and reckons it has improved his low rev range power but hasnt really given it some to test out the higher rev ranges. The main reason he went for the spiralling sorta design was so that it would give him the sound he wanted. Nice deep/low sounds without the droning. Almost sounds like a turbo car's exhaust (in my opinion, others might disagree though). But then again he didnt get a cannon so I wouldnt know how it would sound with one. He got a Hurricane muffler with a 5" stainless tip
phly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #209
323Racer

hurricane muffler huh? well when i asked a few of the shops on how to lower noise level they said its mostly from the cannon...got a quote on a full exhaust system without high flow catalytic converter and muffler n tip..its ends up to be $650 using a brand called HI-tech...they said 2inch would be just nice for the car but what do you guys rekon...all the shops rekon 2 inch n dat 2 1/4's a bit loud n would be better for a 2.0 L engine...

and whats with the ceramic coating..how does that help?
Old 21-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #210
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
I've got a 2" exhaust and it's got a nice growl and can drive quite quietly without too much attention at low rpm's below 2,500 rpms, though when you go for it above that it unleashes a nice exhaust note. I imagine any bigger and i'd lose even more low end power.
Old 21-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #211
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
ceramic coating is to make the outside of the exhaust cool to touch but the inside stays nice and hot...its also for looks too... you dont want a cold internal in an exhaust and thats why you dont go too big of an exhaust cause of less friction meaning the gas doesnt really want to move properly...

on a side note...keep the cat in there...maybe just get a high flowing one...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 02:13 AM   #212
323Racer

went to another exhaust plce..seems like a pretty nice guy...anyway he says my car already has 2inch stainless steel catback so he rekons put in a metallic cat converter a flex pipe n the extractors first....and see how that goes the brand name lukey and estimated max cost..$900 ..i told him about the commodore one like you guys said but he rekos the metallic one has more flow and that the ceramic coated commodore cat can crack and has less flow....
Old 27-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #213
DavoAust

yes the metallic cat will probably flow more, will you need that extra flow? not unless you're working the engine over pretty heavily. don't forget the commodore cat is designed to flow a lot more, especially if you get one of the sports ones (SS comes to mind).

lukey make extractors for the BP?

you already have a cat-back and didn't know? did he say what muffler etc? he can't be talking about the stock one, thats only 1.75"...

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 27-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #214
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Not many exhuast shops will put on 2nd hand cats.

Holden - ac delco cats and the Ford equivlants - break down quickly most do. But likem ost holden ford parts onyl last the 30,000km's or so.
If oyu ever notice a telstra wagon or similar at 25,000km's it will have rotten egg smeel ofr next 5000km's - Very common complain by thoese drivers. It's due to the high load usage and km's that at that stage the cat is stuffed. Yep it's working overtime and it's breaking down smell goes Cat's either fried or fine. in most cases Fried. Put it under emissions test it's not working.
but the Ac delco's do flow like mo fo's. I've used them on most the flow - and msot especially th small capacity turbo's - esaily threw out flames out the back.

CAt's are cat's - Run one with run one with out on dyno you will see on N/A cars Nothing of a difference. Ask real dyno operators - who ain't selling you anything.

This muffler shop wants you buy the metal cat or similar it's not worth it to him. To put on a 2nd hand cat - it stuffs you system up etc. It's all warrentty etc. Plus you can get done and you say well so and so shop fitted it up and Bingo he gets done for fitting a 2nd hand cat etc.

This is the problem with modifying cars if you not in the trade. No shop can take the risks. unless your in on it or in the know, they don't want the risk.
IMO you need to fidn the right people. Or do the right talking and you will get what you need.

it's only 1.8L N/A - minor issues like cat's etc - really won't make bugge all difference. 1KW at the wheels is nothing - it's when oyu loose 40HP due to a bent intake on a reversed capa supercharger you ask can we drill the gaurd out.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote