Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 31-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #161
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323Racer View Post
but now im starting to understand what modifying is all about...as long as your happy with it n having fun then its fine....n i think i'll be happy with the extractors n suspension..haha

thanx guys...went through a rough patch..taking crap from others about my astina but screw em....im happy with it..

u guys rock..!!
I know how you feel man, but i liked the car when i bought it so i didnt care what everyone else thought...not many people know what the BP/BPT are capable of and simply discount it as a suitable platform for enjoyment, as for the pod setup, have a look at my readers rides, i have a pod 57i kit for the astina with a SS custom box setup that i made...with little to no experience with metal at all....and it works heaps better...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #162
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
No offence to anybody here who may own an impreza, but one of the biggest strengths of my BA is that i can look at it and love it's design (rather than being beaten quite thoroughly by an ugly stick). I can appreciate how fast any car goes, but if it doesn't look good, it would bug me more.

With good ability in corners you can enjoy your car and more importantly improve your driving skills, you earn much more respect by being the underdog and driving well enough to keep up with cars which should blow you away by less confident/worse drivers and look better doing so too

Save your money on insurance, get less unwanted attention i.e. police and have 4 doors for 5 people, look good and have fun in corners.
Old 31-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #163
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
323Racer - you'll find the exhaust is too small and the pod isn't required just yet. no good putting in extra air if the exhaust cannot get it out faster enough. one you have completed your exhaust, put the pod back on.

i used a normal $14 stocko air filter with my full exhaust system for the 1st 18months. then replaced with a pod filter, lost kW under 2,000, gained kW after 4,000 rpm.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #164
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatchback
Hey 323Racer,
I'm in the same boat as you, wondering whether or not to modify my 97 BA Astina Hatchback (same car as yours). Ive had my car for nearly a year and havent yet modified it except for the K&N panel filter.

Ive always been contemplating whether or not to dump money into the car or just go out and buy a S15 200sx. Recently i've come to the conclusion that I enjoy having my Astina which is why i've decided to get a set of rims for it next weekend.

My main concern was, is it really worth it? Think about it this way. I go out and buy a 200sx for about 25g which probably will have minimal mods and look like everyone elses 200sx. OR... I keep my Astina which cost me 8g and be 17g in the clear which I can use, if I want, to modify my Astina to the way I like it and be more of an individual cuz thats what I want out of my car. You could with 10g easily build your Astina up with a BPT conversion to be quicker than a stock 200sx or WRX. I'm thinking thats something I want down the track too.

If you want the fastest thing on the road then you're better off buying something thats factory built to be quick already so its got more potential to go faster cuz even if you get a turbo conversion for the Astina and have the craziest mods done to it, it'll be tough to beat other modded turbo cars (eg 200sx, WRX, Skyline) in a straight line

Anyways thats my opinion cuz i've been facing the same dilemma as you recently and like what everyone else has been saying, its really up to you what you want out of your ride. Hope this helps.

- Phil
phly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #165
323Racer

Car: 97 323 astina
its cool to know some of you have been through the same patch....atleast i know im not alone...

i've decided that i will do the exhaust system and suspension

further down the track i'll look at engine conversions but right now im pretty happy juss leaving it as it is for now...juss enjoying the ride rather than contemplate about whether or not to modify it...n i havnt evn had this car for a year yet....unlike phil whoes had it for a year n onli juss started modding

so i shouldnt be so impatient i guess...juss gotta learn to enjoy it...
323Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #166
zappy65

Personally i love the MY98-MY99 design of the WRX Impreza but design wise they have gone down hill, as for astina's not beating S15's...bahahahaha...you need to get out more mate, Ive seen astina's run laps around S15's and WRX's..once you put a BPT in the astina it is a very formidable opponent...jump onto FL.com and see some of the crazy stuff they are doing, then you will not doubt the potential of our cars...

Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #167
phly
AstinaGT Regular

I'm not doubting the ability of our cars but i'm just saying that it will reach it's limitations quicker than other turbo cars even with a BPT conversion cuz of the different design purposes of the car in the first place. As for track driving, i'd agree with you that our cars are much more agile with a couple of modifications
Old 01-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #168
zappy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by phly View Post
I'm not doubting the ability of our cars but i'm just saying that it will reach it's limitations quicker than other turbo cars even with a BPT conversion cuz of the different design purposes of the car in the first place. As for track driving, i'd agree with you that our cars are much more agile with a couple of modifications
With the exception of money, idea's and concepts that go into modifying cars are endless....there are never any limitations, and if there are they are limitations brought by your own imagination..not a personal attack, just my opinion...

Old 01-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #169
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappy65 View Post
With the exception of money, idea's and concepts that go into modifying cars are endless....there are never any limitations, and if there are they are limitations brought by your own imagination..not a personal attack, just my opinion...
I understand where you're coming from with no limitations, but realistically from a discussion perspective, everyone that does an engine swap on this car will either put the BPT or possibly a BPD engine in it and these engines itself will have its limitations reached more quickly which was what I was trying to say. Sorry about the confusion.

A twin turbo 13B rotor conversion would be tops. Dunno how much it'd cost though. I do remember seeing a thread about something like this not long ago either.

Last edited by phly; 01-01-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #170
zappy65

If you measure up what the BPT/BPD were built for, they are superior in their class + if you think about it you would need less $$$ to make a BPT go rather then a 13B, they are slow off boost and a paint to maintain, they cost more fuel, i understand what your saying about limitations but if you have a look at what some of the guys are doing with the old standard BPT you would be quite impressed...lets just say its funny to see a 140kw BPT absolutely smoke a 1998 V8 ute off the lights and leave him for dead, the BPT is almost 10 years older, less cc and what not......as far as the BPT/ BPD class goes they are an untapped resource and for the fraction of the price...

Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #171
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappy65 View Post

This is true but you forget you are limited by with what you start with.
you want a car for pure race use. you don't buy a off the shelf car.
You but a race shell or chassis.
You want a luxury car - leathering up & sealing up a sub $40,000 car is nothing going to make it a inch close to a lexus or AMG etc.

You are always limited with what you start with.
Regardless of money.
The issue does not become one of lack of imagination but one of rational thinking and one of compromise.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #172
zappy65

I get what you mean rodhog but when you modify a car when does rational thinking come into play, tell that to some of the best inhouse power tuners in Japan, tell that to Mines and Powerhouse both who for years have stretched the limits of what a car in any platform can do. Ive seen plenty of Workshops buy cars off the shelf and immediantly take them back to the shop and rip them apart to not only better them but to make them perform better then what the factory intended...what about all the guys out there that are constantly pushing the boundaries with their endless possibilities, unfortunately i dont share your view with limitations, I draw for a hobby and have found that there is no two ways to draw a picture, and they can always be bettered with a bit more imagination...Ive seen people turn FWD's into RWD when no one else said it could be done, ill tell you what...it can always be done! Its just a matter of how far your willing to push the boundaries before you say enough is enough...it is when we say enough that the building of limitations starts to catch on...even GTXWGN has performed what no one else would have even dared try, the Toyota gearbox conversion, this in itself proves that with enough patience, money and alot of stupidity and the willing to try hahaha,...anything can be done and there really are no limitations to what can be done with anything...even if we dont see eye to eye with this i think it is awesome that we can discuss our opinions without being d!ckhe@d$ about it...what you think?

Last edited by zappy65; 01-01-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #173
phly
AstinaGT Regular

I agree with rodhog in that "The issue does not become one of lack of imagination but one of rational thinking and one of compromise" which was what I was also thinking. I also agree with zappy65 in that you can push the boundaries with endless possibilities, so I guess its just up to the individual to decide how far you can really take something.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #174
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina GT Turbo
Send a message via MSN to dave0r
my 161 wkw fwd mazda astina

was able to keep up ,as in not let a 210wkw 4wd MY98 WRX get any further away from me on the straights

But it completely shat on me around corners and braking

id need to speed $$$$$$$$$ to get the other two systems upto speed before i could get anywhere near beating it
dave0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #175
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Zappy65, I think you missed the point.

I'm not talking about MINES-, in fact they think rational. They don't go out and build a Superfast car out of a base model 121 bubble.

That's what I'm talking about.

They strip down a FD or a R33 or R34 or V35 or something that has something good to start witrh.
You talked about imaginationing being unlimited well. I've had the orotunity to meet and work for some people with some wild ideas.
RWD EXCEL, convert a base lancer to AWD, Skyline power a commodore ( this i even find wrong)
all 3 don't quite make any sense to m, in terms of rational thinking.

the Excel had to have everything redone to to take the power and in the end was nto that quick. All because the platorm it started with was not upto scratch.
The lancer/mirage, I just found a total waste, go buy a evo, nah lets cut a floor pan out. I hear the quote it's unique it will go nuts etc. Sure it did go nuts but was it really that special. It was still a sub a $20,000 shopping trolly, and I guess that's why the owner realised and modded up a M3 next.
the last one was one I think could of worked but it didint' because -Pasion and actual thought have to be worked out.
This guy loved his Vr calais but he thought a RB26DETT was the answer.
He thought a IRS is all you need to go around corners. In then end when it was sold off the RB26 went to some one else and the shell got what it needed a Ls2 with twin turbos'. In the end that car finally got around wakefeild park in under 1:10seconds.

Problem it's still alot slower then say a mildly worked over 1.6L Mx-5.
It's a bit like italian cars of 60's and 70's , Had the normal euro problems with electrics and complicate desgin of some bits. But had heap of spirit.
But it was the base that killed it. The ingrediants in the base - the poor quality iron metals used to create fiats and alfas, that help rust them away.

I've seen all the money in the world poored into cars and alot of them never finshed or achive the builders outcomes.
It does not matter if you do it for show or for go, the limitations are there and it takes a special someone to keep going not give a dam about rational thinking.
but at the same time how many think they can sell a car that is a one of kind creation and get a rediculous price on it in a population of 20million
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #176
323Racer

hey guys recently spoke to a few exhaust places...i've asked for a mandrel bent exhaust system and extactors and both have said for a 1.8L its not gonna make a lot of diff with the mandrel bent coz its non turbo n its only a 1.8L plus it costs alot more...and that i wont be needing extractors either coz of the same reason...what do you guys rekon..should i listen to them or juss get it?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #177
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
spoken like true V8 commwhore bogan lovers...

mandrel bend may not be required, would help...
but extractors are requried to allow more flow from engine head...

a 58mm/2.25" press bent system with extractors would be ok i guess??? but it you can afford mandrel, then do that. but as above, it's only a very small gain in mandrel over press bends in 58mm piping.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #178
323Racer

ok kool...well shes gonna get me a quote on extractors with a straight through muffler and a quote on extractors and with the cannon i already have...but whats the diff between straight through muyffler and cannon?

coz i remember you siad before i would gain more torque if i took off the cannon and put on the straight through muffler but arnt they both the same?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #179
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
yeah they are the same.. if your after more lowend torque get a magnaflow or something
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #180
FLiP

Car: 2005 Polo GTi
Send a message via MSN to FLiP
hey man...

i'm just gonna back up what's already been said but in more words

don't rush into your car... i've had my BA hatch for 2 years and it's still stock everything except for $2k worth of stereo and a k&n panel filter

i'm only just starting to look at modding it... starting with springs, CAI and cat back exhaust... to be followed by shocks, 17" rims and then extractors

i've already been to the drags... i pulled a 16.789 in a 1.8 hatch with $50 tyres and i beat a 88 celica and a hi-ace and i think that's pretty cool... i wanna break 15.5secs and then i'll be happy... and that's all i'm expecting...

don't expect too much... just have fun with it... i have already and i haven't put a single suspension or exhaust mod on yet... and i'm so far satisfied... more satisfied than one of my mates who drives a '97 Twin Turbo Supra...

he only drives it on the weekends because buying and running and maintaining a motorbike was cheaper than the Supra's 18L/100km 98RON fuel bill.

one thing i've learned... always look on the positive side
FLiP is offline   Reply With Quote