Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 30-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
S373N

Car: 1991 Mazda 323 Astina GTX Conversion (Currently M.I.A)
Send a message via ICQ to S373N Send a message via AIM to S373N Send a message via MSN to S373N Send a message via Yahoo to S373N
Fuel additive

can anyone recommend a nice fuel additive i can use?
something that does a good job at preventing corrosion, getting rid of fuel-line gunk and giving me a higher octane treatment.
S373N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 30-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Astinadroxycuts

Car: 93 323 Astina - Toyota Celica GT4
e10?
Astinadroxycuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
S373N

Send a message via ICQ to S373N Send a message via AIM to S373N Send a message via MSN to S373N Send a message via Yahoo to S373N
thats a fuel not an additive
Old 30-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
ethanol has a very high octane rating.. E10 is 91 with 10% ethanol.. it has a higher octane rating and about the same antiknock rating as the 95

and y do u want to spend the money on a aditive?
ur car can run on 91 FINE (im assuming u know what octane rating does)
Old 30-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
You don't need to spend money on additives unless there's something specific that it might help with, or if it's actually needed to run the car, like lead substitutes for engines designed to run on leaded petrol. A higher octane rating won't do diddly squat unless your engine needs it because it is pinging, and even then E10 will be cheaper and probably more effective than running a dubious octane booster with every tank. Only additive I ever used was an injector cleaner as a one-off. Have a read of the fuel bible, it's got a pretty good discussion of all this stuff.
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
if you just want to clean your fuel lines, injectors and valve train then use Nulon injector cleaner , its quite affective if your fuel system is clogged up. One bottle can treat two tanks but for higher concentration u can use the whole bottle on one tank.
asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
S373N

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanga View Post
if you just want to clean your fuel lines, injectors and valve train then use Nulon injector cleaner , its quite affective if your fuel system is clogged up. One bottle can treat two tanks but for higher concentration u can use the whole bottle on one tank.
will i find this at supercheap or autobarn?
Old 30-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
Quote:
Originally Posted by S373N View Post
will i find this at supercheap or autobarn?
yes....its about $12
asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
S373N

nice price
Old 30-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 99 mx5
nitro glycerin,
apart from more power. it will also give better fuel economy, as it fully burns the fuel. thats why the railways add it to the diesel. but im not sure how u would get it, or how much to add

straights are good for fast cars
corners are for fast drivers
spenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

isnt nitro glycerin one of the main components of TNT??
Old 30-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
I do believe (all due respect) it's about time for the "research" advice button to be pressed? There is a miriad of information regarding the best/most practical/scientific way to gain power/keep economy. My two bobs worth: High octane (95-98) will keep engine clean, aid response & hinder the need for tuning & injector cleaners. The trick is to get the car clean & running well, then keeping it that way. The higher the octane (no matter the comp ratio) the cleaner, better performance & less maintenance you will experience!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Kevaclone

Car: Landcruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADMIXY View Post
I do believe (all due respect) it's about time for the "research" advice button to be pressed? There is a miriad of information regarding the best/most practical/scientific way to gain power/keep economy. My two bobs worth: High octane (95-98) will keep engine clean, aid response & hinder the need for tuning & injector cleaners. The trick is to get the car clean & running well, then keeping it that way. The higher the octane (no matter the comp ratio) the cleaner, better performance & less maintenance you will experience!

????????????
the only reason for that is most of the PULP fuels have an injector cleaner blended into them
E10 you could use, but be aware that it has a lower energy content than standard ULP so you will need to use more of it to get the same power, the Ethanol will get rid of any water in your fuel and clean some crap from the system,

Higher octane fuels will be of no real benefit on vehicles designed for normal 91RON fuel, to get any benefit from PULP you need higher compression(either NA or a boosted engine)
if your vehicle runs a knock sensor and you know that the ignition timing is being retarded by the ECU then you may get some benefit from PULP as the timing can be advanced

If you suspect you have a dirty fuel system make sure you have a spare fuel filter on hand before adding any cleaner or E10
If your car is running fine then I wouldn't bother doing anything
  • 2003 BA Falcon XLS Ute
  • 1995 323 BA Astina
  • 1991 323 Astina SP-Wrecking Now. PM for info
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
NaughtyGT

I'm sure many have been down the ethanol road before? Ethanol may assist the Sugar industry & give higher octane & yes, even cleaner fuel. Old school (non-ethanol) Higher Octane fuel is naturally cleaner yes due to additives but also due to less (bad) additives. A point few people even realise. This was my main point, sorry. I have found that even though 95 octane in a say, 9.4:1 engine is OK, with 98, it gets bit better economy whilst not needing fuel injector cleaner. I would NEVER suggest 91 octane. Have you not heard the Hyundai's & Daiwoo's beside you pinging there little hearts out? 91? Yes, I think so. Yes, even though they are twin cam?

Sensible rule -of-thumb: Multi-valve = higher Octane fuel = better

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 30-10-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 30-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

yepp thats awesome i can see that the marketing team over at bp/shell/caltex did their job convincing ppl, well some ppl, that 98 is the best thing for any car.. awesome keep wasting your money especialy if the car is designed for let say 91.. (talk about overkill much)
there is no point arguing this, some ppl have their hart set on something, and truly beleive the benifits, they will get benifits (tho it may be a placibo, whatever makes u sleep at night )

i said this before, i wont say it again..

oh and as for the ethanols weaker power, yeah its got a smaller energy rating, so you will spend more of it to get same as petrol, but combine that with the 4c/l cheaper and you are on the same leg (but u have slightly higher octane than 95 (the lowest mainstream available in qld, well where iv been anyway, we dont have pure 91 here anymore)
u cant have power and economy, thats imposible, petrol engines you will be LUCKY if u get 35% efficiency out of them (well more like geting a nobel price lol) if u want more power u have to spend more fuel..
im just suprised it took THIS long for the direct injection petrol to come out.
most efficient (as per PV diagrams) is a combination between spark ignition and direct injection to have a spark ignition to raise the pressure, then inject the remaining fuel to prolong the burn and pressure thru volume change..

Last edited by 70NYD; 30-10-2009 at 09:54 PM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
once again, big no to people not reccomending 91. use what the car is reccomended to run on. There are really no benefits to running 98 at all unless your engine is built specifically to run better on it. If you use high octane fuel in a car designed for 91 then all it will do is run with less power... yes less... and have a chance of making some lovely carbon deposits since it doesn't burn as effective in an engine designed... FOR 91...

on the otherhand ive been using E10 since it was available. I love it to bits.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #17
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

u can run 98 in a engine designed for 91 if you advance the timing to the point of it needing it
Old 30-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #18
chrisw
2-Wheeled Weirdo

Car: '09 GT650r
Send a message via MSN to chrisw
yes thats true, but in a standard engine, thats designed to run on 91 with no modifications its not beneficial... apart from the additives they tend to put in it.

91 is more explosive than 98, if your engine runs fine on 91... you will get more power than on 98. unless you do what tonyd said
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
RibZe

Car: BG Astina
Several mechanics i know say fuel injector cleaner does diddly squat. In fact two of them said they don't put it in the customer's car but charge them for it.

The only way is ultrasonically - this will cost a few hundred aswell. My mate is going to take my injectors out and take it to another guy to clean them and that's still going to cost me $100.
RibZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #20
NaughtyGT

OK OK already guys..........I did ay, have you not noticed the twin cam cars p-i-n-g-i-n-g????? Use 91 & they ping. Use 95, gee........no ping!

Believe what you want with technology. I believe what I know & do.

Jsut enjoy your ride when it is good. Most inj cleaners are either break fluid or Kero anyway. Smell em!