Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Australia Wide

Old 01-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
STU13Y

Send a message via MSN to STU13Y
OzMazdaClub Sydney/Wollongong TO...Nowra? CRUISE

Howdy everyone

seeing as i loved the cruise from AstinaGT forums that i went on i thought i might organise or at least put out some ideas for another cruise in a month or two.

Starting at SYDNEY (location to be determined) so the sydney siders can come and then heading down to WOLLONGONG for the official meet up spot.

From Wollongong head down the highway (cruise time!) heading into ALBION PARK and then heading to JAMBEROO (TWISTIES GALORE! - more than u can poke a stick at! goes for k's and k's) from hear there is alot of country side to look at mountains and hills as far as the eye can see...then by pass KIAMA (new highway - massive!!) and more cruise time as we go towards NOWRA (or somewhere else).

This cruise will have it all - long stretches of Highway - Twisties - country side view and Sea side views - great photo ops!!

More details to be organised - just getting some interest up at the moment

Check out this MAP for a quick reference

perhaps make this a stickey?

Hope this goes ahead! check out thisOMC Forum Thread for more details....
STU13Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Mazda_Brian

Car: Soarer Twin Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Mazda_Brian Send a message via Yahoo to Mazda_Brian
Stu, I pm'd you in OMC about some ideas based on drives I ahve already been on with other clubs...

Sounds fantastic, and I would love to go on this cruise, so put me down as number 1

B.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
arden

Car: Suby
twisties i like....
Old 01-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Mazda_Brian

We could go Nowra via Ablion park to Maquarie pass, then Fitzroy Falls to the back or Nowra

B.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Laser the Amazer

Send a message via ICQ to Laser the Amazer Send a message via MSN to Laser the Amazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda_Brian
We could go Nowra via Ablion park to Maquarie pass, then Fitzroy Falls to the back or Nowra

B.
yeah do Macquarie Pass, Sheepwash Road to Fitzroy Falls, then through Kangaroo Valley, Cambewarra Mountain lookout then down Cambewarra Mountain in to Nowra and cruise back up the hwy

Rob
Old 02-02-2006, 01:16 AM   #6
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
Glad to see I inspired you lol!

Of course put me down. Sounds like fun!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Mazda_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser the Amazer
yeah do Macquarie Pass, Sheepwash Road to Fitzroy Falls, then through Kangaroo Valley, Cambewarra Mountain lookout then down Cambewarra Mountain in to Nowra and cruise back up the hwy

Rob
Give this man a Toohey's New, I like the way he thinks!!!

My thoughts exactly, but it wouldn't be a cruise for the grannies, more-so a slightly challenging cruise for those who dont mind hard tight corners.

I was planning something similar, and I went on something very much similar (but involved some nasty speeds) last year.

Was great fun actually, but did end in tragidy, but I dont think this club (or OMC) will be quite as spirited as some of the other guys where....

B.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
Laser the Amazer

Send a message via ICQ to Laser the Amazer Send a message via MSN to Laser the Amazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda_Brian
Give this man a Toohey's New, I like the way he thinks!!!

My thoughts exactly, but it wouldn't be a cruise for the grannies, more-so a slightly challenging cruise for those who dont mind hard tight corners.

I was planning something similar, and I went on something very much similar (but involved some nasty speeds) last year.

Was great fun actually, but did end in tragidy, but I dont think this club (or OMC) will be quite as spirited as some of the other guys where....

B.
I don't really like Toohey's New lol

I have done this route a few times solo, boredom on a saturday arvo lol

Rob
Old 02-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Mazda_Brian

Quote:
I don't really like Toohey's New lol

I have done this route a few times solo, boredom on a saturday arvo lol

Rob
I have done Cabelltown to Nowra via Kangaroo valley and Fitzroy Falls, twice now, both times where great until Jamberoo, and both times I came unstuck on the exact same corner.

No damage on coming unstuck, but after having an expert in the car the 2nd time, he felt knew straight off, the HiCas 4 wheel steering was the culprit, and that I cant take that corner at over 60km/h because the highcas thinks I am overtaken as oposed to cornering.

I know for future, this particular corner is hicas unfriendly.

B.

EDIT: BTW, this corner is speed limited at 80km/h, with a recommended speed of 55km/h (60 isn't much more than 55 km/h, but enough to cause my particular car some issues).

B.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #10
Zooming Bravo

Car: 1992 121 Bubble & 2005 SDX Bravo d/cab t/diesel 4x4
Send a message via MSN to Zooming Bravo Send a message via Skype™ to Zooming Bravo
Sounds fun....so when are we doing this..
Old 07-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
STU13Y

Send a message via MSN to STU13Y
well enigma from OMC said he is already organising something very similar to this...so ive sorta put the brakes on a bit - waiting for him to tell us something about it...
STU13Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
Mazda_Brian

No reason we cant have 2.....

We could have a monthly, or quarterly thing....

How about 3 weeks time (I had planned a great deal in a very similar cruise for another club, I still have the plans, we can just use the same stuff, I will drive the course either this weekend or next, and then post up info.

B.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #13
Red Frog

come on stuey!! posts sum dates and we can all choose. BTW, how's that vid coming along from the Berrima cruise, hey???!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #14
Mazda_Brian

Yeah, speaking of Berima cruise vid, Braxta, can you mms that video to me

my number is 0410 548 221

Cheers,

B.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #15
-BraXta-
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Honda Accord Euro
Send a message via ICQ to -BraXta- Send a message via MSN to -BraXta-
i dont have MMS man =P if i did i woulda sent it to ya... =(

ill save it for the next cruise and Blue tooth it to ya =D

My New Ride =P

-I turn Dreams into reality with a F#$% you mentality...
-BraXta- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #16
Mazda_Brian

Well, last weekend was great, Saturday I went to Nowra with Papatonga for a mock-up of this cruise.

When we got to Nowra, we both agreed this isn't a cruise for the petty light-hearted cruiser, this is for the hard core cruiser not scared of clocking up some Km's on the windy hilly corners of the south Coast highlands.

We left Chatswood at about 11am-ish, and went straight through to Waterfall where we went off for a National park run.

National Park: Road conditions are well below average at the start of the decent, we both hit one of the bumps pretty heavily, me lifting the front of the car off the ground, and struggling to bring the car back into my lane as another car was comign up in the other direction (doing about 50km/h in a 60 zone mind you), and Papatonga hitting just as heavily, launching the 40kg subwoofer box up so hard it lifted his parcel tray, this was the worst dip-thingy we have ever encountered, but now we know where it is, it will be painted with orange danger lines Prior to any OMC cruising taking place!!

The rest of the national park was in pretty good condition, there was some slightly damp sections, and the road is also very popular for other car clubs, and cyclists, so it's not a section I would advise any speeding or anything else silly, just relax and enjoy the scenery through there.

From the National park, we ended up on Stanwell tops, this is a beautiful section for views, and for the couples, you can vanish on a walking trail, and find a nice quite make-out spot (Papatonga and myself just enjoyed the views, but we saw a few couples vanish).

From here we went down into Stanwell, and then out across the new bridge, this was probably the longest and hardest part of the mock-cruise, as we encounted so many sunday drivers (and we went Saturday), it was hard sitting on between 20 - 40km/h in a 60 zone, and very frustrating, but because this bridge is newly opened, and is proving very popular in the 3 consecutive weeks I have traveled to Wollongong, I am thinking we skip this, shoot back to the freeway, and leg it via the freeway back to Albion Park (Personal thought here, feel free to tell me to shut up on this one).

Traveling past the new bridge, and through all the little town sections was also a hinderance, on this cruise, we encounted a Bedford van who had it in his mind to slow us and do ANYTHING he could to piss us both off, we managed to get past him at 1 section, but then traffic lights saw him get past us again and cause his issues all over again. This section of the mock-cruise was also in heavily built up sections, with many many traffic lights, lots of traffic and slow drivers, only section we could do a re-group is after we make 2 turns at the end to get back onto highway 60, again another reason I think this section should be skipped in favour of the F6 straight into Albion Park.

Albion Park: We arrived in Albion park approx 2 hours 30 minutes after departure from Sydney, not a real long time, but still a decent amount whenh you think we only have 1/2 the cruise completed. From here it was check fuel status (you WILL NEED at least 1/2 a tank at this point, anything less and it's re-fill time), and after making sure your fueled, hydrated, and had a bit of a chat with the others, we head west towards the mountains for the first of a few windy road runs.

At the time, Papatonga and myself had clear roads as far as the eye could see, not a single car in either direction (to or from the pass), so we both got a little excited thinking we could give the pass a good run.

It wasn't until the 4th turn (of about 95 turns) we encounted Mr and Mrs Slowasfark in their 3.5 litre Magna plodding along up the hill. After about 30 minutes, we finally got to a section where there was an overtaking lane, but we had already lost 80% of the fun of the Pass (but alas, plenty more turns to come).

After leaving Mr and Mrs Slowasfark behind (and leading about 30 cars that also left the old couple behind), we shot through Robertson, and headed in the same direction as the cruise to Berrima did (at nothing more than the speed limit!!).

Maquarie Pass: The roads here are in great condition, I actually believe they may have re-surfaced the roads since the Berrima cruise about a month ago, and they are smoother than a baby's behind, nice and grippy, and the majority of corners are in-camber to the turn. You need to watch out for slower traffic both up and down, and give PLENTY of space for trucks, especially on the tighter corners, they may need to reverse and take 3 or more goes to get around, so patience is a must.

About 30 minutes after the Pass, we came to the turn-off for Fitzroy Falls, these roads are pretty average, soft edges, and bumpy, but not to bad in my car (so should be a breeze in most of the club-cars).

About 20 minutes after the fitzroy falls turn-off, you get to the parking section for Fitzroy falls, this is a decent area with plenty of space for cars to park and re-group, have a rest, stretch the now VERY tired legs, and have a chitty-chat (Papatonga and myself zoom zoomed past here, as it was 2 of us with about 2 meters between us, no point in re-grouping).

At this point, you will have completed about 250Kms of driving.

After Fitzroy Falls, you have about 45Kms to Nowra, quite a nice drive, and EXTREAMLY nice views along the way, but this is no good for drivers, because it's quite windy and needs consentration. We encountered 2 trucks, a commodore, and a Citroen that where all a hinderence, but the drive was still fantastic.

Fitzroy Falls to Nowra: Roads for most part are in very good condition, the mountain areas are in perfect condition, no pot-holes, very smooth, and quite clear or leaves and other debris. The drive is quite long, so taking refreshments and food with you is a good idea, also makign sure you have enough petrol is always a priority.

Coming into Nowra: After abotu 4 hours 30 minutes, we arrived in Nowra, yes, a HUGE amount of driving. At this point, I was seriously sunburnt on my driver's arm, and both legs, so I advise sunscreen is an absolute must for the cruise, even if your not leaving your car.

Both Papatonga and myself where tired, hungry, and needed toilet breaks, so we went off to Subway and had a late lunch, some drinks, and refreshed ourselves. At this point, it was almost 290Kms of travel, and that was only getting to the destination, we still needed to get back to Sydney at some stage.

So that's pretty much the cruise from Sydney to Nowra, we didn't speed, didn't do anything stupid, and it was quite relaxing the entire way. This is more a cruising style cruise, not a cruise for a bit, stop and chat, and cruise some more, but for those not affraid of doing a little bit of driving, I would highly recommend the drive, it was fantastic.

After the Cruise: After the cruise, myself and Papatonga went back to my cousin's place in Minumurra (on the way back) for refreshments, and work to my car, and at this point I would like to appologise to Papatonga for the boganism he had to encounter, the crazy and foolish behaviour of the other side of my family, and the antics he was pretty much pushed into, but hey, when we left, we both had smiles on our faces, had some food, had some drinks (thumbs up to Papatonga for not drinking alcohol while on his P-plates), and we both felt refreshed after a swim as well.

It was a top day, and we got home about half past midnight, so it was also a long day for both.

Anyway guys, who's still interested, and when should we firm this cruise date in for??

As for dates, hows March 11th sound with people???

B.
Old 28-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #17
Laser the Amazer

yeah it looks like a long one

I can't say much as I drive from albion park to nowra everyday for work

is the 11th of March too short of notice

Maybe in April before Easter ???

I don't reccomend doing this cruise easter weekend. everyone from sydney comes to invade

Rob
Old 02-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
Mazda_Brian

Quote:
I can't say much as I drive from albion park to nowra everyday for work

is the 11th of March too short of notice
Bah, 2 weeks if plenty of notice, and wasn't the vibe for this cruise always March-ish
Old 02-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #19
dfvadr

Car: ss , sp20 , 94ba
i might come on this cruise as i need to get sum k,s up on the beast
- 18"ame's
- custom interior
- kenwood head unit , pioneer speakers driven by 800 watt amp , kicker subs driven by 1000 watt amps each sub [135.2db at supernats], two 1th caps 4 tv screens dvd player
- xbox
- airbag suspension with gas strut towers
- custom plates an airbrushing on bonnet
dfvadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #20
Red Frog

great writeup brian! so u were too tired on sunday to come to tropfest? where were u guys?!
hey, sounds like a fab cruise! but u're not givin enuff time here for ppl to get off work etc.
i'm out for the 11th and the weekend after. but the wkend of the 25/26 is definately a goer.