Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 29-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
stevensonnz

Car: Mazda Familia SP20
SP20 Need help with pod filter please!

currently have the stock air filter on, and would like to put a custom pod filter on it, i have previously tried this but the car didnt seem to run right for exampe revs for all over the place, what do i need to buy to get this done?

Photos would greatly help if any one would show me how they have done theirs?

Thanks so much
stevensonnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hi mate,

You can remove the stock airbox ahead of the MAF and run a 2.5" (don't go bigger than 2.75"!!!) pipe from the leading side of the MAF down into the hole to the F/L wheel well, and have your pod up nice and high in there. You will need to make a hole in the pipe about 10cm ahead of the MAF for the AIT sensor. Just remove the rubber grommet from the stock airbox to locate the AIT sensor in the pipe. Match the hole size to what is on the stock airbox. You will also need to flip around your coolant overflow bottle, and chop off part of the bracket...

If you failed to locate the AIT sensor or used 3" pipe when you tried, you would likely end up with erratic revs.

Cheers, Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
mooniewant

Car: 2003 BJ II-J48 SP20
For the unmechanically advanced this sounds fairly complicated, i too want to put a filter on my sp20, is it a difficult process and one i can learn myself?
mooniewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
stevensonnz

Car: Mazda Familia SP20
yes it does seem very complicated. any chance of some photos? dont exactly understand what MAF is and AIT is? sorry for sounding dumb
stevensonnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
chicaboo

MAF: Mass Air Flow (sensor), AKA an AFM: Air Flow Meter (generic)
AIT: Air Intake Temp (sensor)
AKA: Also Known As ()

Madmat has this set up that I talk about in his car. He would have to take photos for you. But I haven't looked so closely at his to know if the AIT and pipe diameter is a problem. He might even have 3" pipe, which I expect will give him troubles in colder weather.

Gav.
Old 29-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
I have pics on my profile of my attempt at a CAI, if you care to have a look.
Installing a pod filter will also make a lot more noise, but it's quite a nice note too(more like intake roar) and you will find that you probably use more petrol for a while because of the noise it makes under full throttle.
You can buy chrome plated plastic tubing at autobahn which comes in all shapes and sizes.
There are parts available for temps sensors etc, I used this setup for a while it looked quite good, and have only recently changed to what I have now.
What i have now on my car was made out of used intercooler pipes.
Its a rather cheap way of making a good looking setup.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
phildough
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
He might even have 3" pipe, which I expect will give him troubles in colder weather.

Gav.
I don't think Brisbane gets gold enough to cause any problems some how.
I thought the more cold air getting in the better?
Old 29-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
u only have issus when u drive thru a massive buddle and the filter get coveded in water. car doesn't like that not one bit but i haven't had any issus with the pipe. its the same size in diametre as the afm sensor gav

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
chicaboo

From memory the OD on the MAF is 2.75", which is the most you're s'posed to go. If you go larger than that you get crazy idles and stuff in cold areas because you are supplying more air than the MAF was designed to read for (probably has you running lean too...). You all might be lucky that the choke in the MAF might reduce the affect of that, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention anyway.

Cheers, Gav.
Old 30-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
phildough
Banned

I find my car loves cold mornings. I had my car dynoed and found it to run a bit rich if anything. But i'm using pipe about the same size as standard.
I think you can have a large pipe running to the MAF but should run pipe about standard size from MAF to Throttle Body.
Also by using a large pipe the Temp sensor is no longer in the middle of the pipe so that may have some effect as well.
Old 30-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
chicaboo

The 1.8s are safe, but the SP20s tend to run a little lean after a few mods. But I agree with you Phil about keeping the stock (size) pipe after the MAF to the TB. Seriously, just replacing the airbox with nice pipe and a pod is good economics given the cost of CAIs.

Gav.