Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
adz_07

Car: Mazda 323 BJ Astina
driveline backlash?

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. Recently purchased a 2002 323 BJ Astina manual hatchback with 133k kms. Great little car so far.

I am experiencing some unusual driveline backlash which occurs when pressing and suddenly releasing the throttle and also sometimes during gear changes. It feels like cracked engine mounts or a worn diff in a rear wheel drive car. No noises at any point.

I have inspected all engine mounts and there are no signs of cracks. I have also replaced the drive shafts. I have inspected for abnormal gearbox backlash while the wheels were off the ground and could not notice anything beyond normal.

I consider myself fairly mechanically capable however at this point I am out of ideas. Is it common for engine mounts to become very soft when they are older and cause movement even if they are not cracked? I cant see any unusual movement of the engine with the bonnet up when revving in neutral or trying to crawl forward with the handbrake on.

Does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
adz_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
vkrules

Car: 2003 sp-20 (safety vest yellow)
I'd have another look at those engine mounts if I was you. Real common problem with the BJ.
vkrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
adz_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrules View Post
I'd have another look at those engine mounts if I was you. Real common problem with the BJ.
I got in there and underneath properly with a torch and had a good look at the mounts - definitely no visible cracks. I'll check again regardless thanks.

Just to add - problem is most prevalent during 5th gear alternating between accelerating and engine breaking

Last edited by adz_07; 05-09-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Rear engine mount is known for cracking
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
adz_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
Rear engine mount is known for cracking
Had another look at the mounts, in particular the rear. Could not see anything wrong with it. Got someone to help load up the engine while I watched the mounts and there is some movement (about 15mm) as the rubber compressed and stretched but not sure how much is too much - nothing obvious here. I have purchased a front and rear mount regardless and will change them when they arrive.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
vkrules

Car: 2003 sp-20 (safety vest yellow)
How did you get on!find the problem?
vkrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323 astina, backlash, drive shaft, engine mounts