Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 11-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
micca

Car: Mazda Familia GT-R
Not Too Familia | Short Film

Hey all, I finished my short film on my Familia. Hope you enjoy it. Best to watch on a big screen with the volume up loud! Share it with your friends.

https://vimeo.com/79006401

Thanks for watching.

Cheers,
Micca
micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
That's too cool! Come up to Brisbane and do my car!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Very nice! Cheers for sharing

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
micca

Thanks guys! Hey Derb, it something that is really cool to remember our cars by for sure. We can definitely discuss doing something if you are keen to put something together for the archives mate? Cheers, Michael
Old 12-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Thats wicked!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
micca

Thanks Marc! Glad you liked
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
hey man love the video also didnt know the Goat track was open again.. might have to for a run there soon (before it gets closed again)

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by micca View Post
Thanks guys! Hey Derb, it something that is really cool to remember our cars by for sure. We can definitely discuss doing something if you are keen to put something together for the archives mate? Cheers, Michael
Just no shots of the passenger side so you can't see the massive dent in the rear door lol. I'd love to do it, but I don't think my car is really worthy.
Old 13-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
micca

Yeah Matt, we got lucky! The road was closing from 7 or 8 am I think for repairs, we arrived there about 5 for the shoot! It was 14 degrees so the car really performed! :-) When are you free to get up there?
Old 13-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Ben

Car: MPS
Brilliant stuff mate
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
micca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Brilliant stuff mate
Thanks Ben!!!

Well I am very pleased to announce that my film has received over 1000 views in the 4 days since it was posted on vimeo! That is just awesome! I am truly humbled that so many have watched and liked it! I was excited by the final edit but I never realised that it would have such a great response! I will definitely be continuing to put together films of this nature into the future. Thanks again and don't hesitate to watch again and ask questions back here or share the link with friends and family on facebook!

And in the words of another very well known hoon, Ken Block, "Hoon responsibly!"

Cheers, Micca
Old 14-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
z100

Car: 2003 Protege Sp20
Nice!
z100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Removing the subject matter aside. Very well done production. Including the subject matter nicely presented. Very enjoyable. wish I could story board one and get someone to do it for me LOL.
I think I have watched it 3 times because I must say some nice work. Not perfect but I've seen worse get awards on short film nights.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #14
lukeyprotege
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2003 MAZDA 323 BJ II-J48 PROTEGE
That was so awesome man really well done
lukeyprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
micca

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhog View Post
Removing the subject matter aside. Very well done production. Including the subject matter nicely presented. Very enjoyable. wish I could story board one and get someone to do it for me LOL.
I think I have watched it 3 times because I must say some nice work. Not perfect but I've seen worse get awards on short film nights.
Thanks man, sounds like you know quite a bit about this sort of thing! Not perfect, you're right, but I am definitely pleased with it and my wife who 'says' she hates the car, absolutely loved it and has a new found respect for the car. She came out on the early morning second shoot and was getting her stoke on when I was shooting the car doing drive-bys! 

So if you care to read a bit more about it I have jotted down a few thoughts for you below;

I had a lot more go pro footage (rear shots, front wheel turning, side shots ect ect) but the camera (HD hero) had a fault where it blew all the highlights and made them zebra stripes - my friend has a new one on the way under warranty which is good for him. I had to get a bit creative with the edit due to this but I'm happy with how it came out and I think the driving footage and final shots of the car, edited to the music, speak for themselves and flow really nicely to finish it off. Friends who were more “storytelling” oriented said they wanted more talking but I didn't want to bang on too much, it's about the car and not about me after all!

There was also some incredible drive-by footage - full throttle third-gear with nice bov and backfire audio and really smooth visuals but unfortunately the car crossed the double white lines right in the middle of the footage so wasn’t comfortable putting that online. You’ll notice in the middle of a drive-by shot I cut to the interior and a view from back seat toward the taco, this is the cover up of the line creep on the drive by shot. It just didn’t sound right keeping the drive by audio so had to cut to the in cabin audio. All part of it I guess and probably should have thought about that on the day of the shoot but know for next time!

I shot all the footage in 24p and in hindsight for this type of short I should have shot in 30 FPS on all the action shots. The footage wouldn’t have looked as filmic but it would have been a bit smoother with less motion blur on the drive-by shots. That’s getting pretty pedantic but I know what most of the pros shoot in now after researching it a bit after the fact and 30 FPS still looks filmic enough. The 7D doesn’t handly side motion as well as some of the better canons like 5D so that would be the next level, a new camera body and shooting in 30 FPS.

I graded it to suit my 40" LCD which has pretty high contrast, as do many LCD’s. I realise now that it looks a little soft (needs more contrast) when viewed on most web monitors. One more thing was I was experimenting in the early shots (garage open and front shots of car and blinker ect) with a new manual audio setting on my camera. I have a really good rode mic but the levels are slightly high on a couple of bits of audio, you can hear them fade in and fade out if you have it turned up loud. If I had my time again I would have re-done the off car footage audio as well. It’s a bit ken blockish with the raw go-pro sound but it gets really blown out by the wind. In reality it would have sounded awesome with my proper mic rigged with a dead cat (wind shield) or blimp setup to cut all that wind clutter. But I am happy with it as people are used to the ken block go pro wind noise so it’s kind of expected. Next time though, clean audio and better go pro footage will be a high priority. I may even get crazy and shoot with my 7D rigged on the front.

Cheers for watching and for your input, make sure you watch again plugged into a big screen with the volume UP!!! Car sounds so awesome!!!
Micca

Last edited by micca; 15-11-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
micca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeyprotege View Post
That was so awesome man really well done
Thanks Luke, glad you liked it buddy.

Cheers,
Micca
Old 16-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #17
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
yeah well I know a bit because of my Love for film making (AKA I want to have sex with models)
but yeah I have over a long time been to many film festivals here in Sydney hunter and in Melbourne. I know of a few - sorry was going to say know them I have worked and stared in some productions.

I don't have the talent /patients to put it together but I know how to get shots and see what it will be. I lost patients and also found out I could not live without a real full time job.
Plus my mind thinks more like a Video clip- fast action etc.

The hardest thing with a Go-pro or similar is lack of picture control. Or frame control you can't zoom in or pan across in many shots. So it's best only used to add in detail. Which IS what they are good at. I mean you look at top production like Top gear and the advantages they have given all. By comparison IMO if want inspiration two things to watch.

first is Steve Mcqueens - LaMans. Not a real movie more about him and driving Porsches but to think - they mounted full movie cameras to get the shots. Think they race a car with the camera on it and it finished.
Think about how much you could do with Gopro type.

The other thing IMO both I can see Go-pro is a dream and If I had the money I'd remake it or similar.

"A steam train Passes" think someone has put it on youtube. it's an Australian based thing now take these notes. I know two people from it are like well Made all the big MOIVEs. I mean I can't remember what big movie recently it was or 90's but one of the people who produced it went to Hollywood and made some big budget stuff.
It is just a film about life of a Locomotive - driver I guess. Basically a step back in time. People like me can tell they have take shots of the train in many different times different places so it's not like one trip. But I remember reading an article about it. How they mounted same type of massive film camera it was the late 70's / early 80's On front of it. Don't know how they mounted it on the side of the Locomotive.
But As a short film as it is. The whole dynamic of driver getting it started - the score - then the train moving and travelling, then you get the People - without words. From driver cooking breakfast on the footplate. Too Army guys ready for war the Signal man etc. It's guess they way it's filmed is nothing special. It's just the way it tells the story IMO the end is one of the best. People in the cold waiting for the train in warm station and then the station master saying good by etc. It one awards in the day. Looking at it now it has drama but it does so in a way which IMO. Many short films or any film lacks doing without something special. A Bit like the opening scene in Mad Max chasing the Night rider in the HQ. It's Fast paced little character integration but enough for you to get point and the drama is enough.

I think you have done well to capture a fair whack of your GTR in it. One thing in s Short film is especially in a action sequence is Continuity is not always important. EG - look at some movies and Ken blocks little films - you can see in some shots are taken after the rubber has been put down - next shot it's the start of it as he puts previous rubber down but in overall only a nit pick will notice. the drama of him spinning it around is all that is important and that it is put across.

As for other production stuff- Dont' fuss to much about the 24- 30FPS etc. It gets annoy at times. But 75% of views won't notice that. but it is good practice now if you start entering the festivals. Depending on whos judging. A friend of mine got an award yet I personally though who they beat out was better film- just lacked polish in camera work and editing. But then again My opinion and I didn't know what the desired out come was.
Yeah one thing I hate about go -pro is the mic. I like it so I can hang it outside on train rides but compared with say even a good HD can held or pro type the sound is ****. But then again I HATE trying to REMIX or resync sound with video at times from separate source. But it does make the best result if you can change and use a good mic with barrier.
IMO go pro should allow for a cut out of frequency.
Saw a quy who mounted the camera on rear of boat - jet ski guy - and then ran mic to face rearward behind the windshield of the boat. Worked well except for the screaming. it's like Go-rpo just wants Hi- frequency stuff.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #18
micca

Steve Mcqueens - LaMans.
A steam train Passes

Will download these now! Cheers , Micca
Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
GrandpaSR2

Car: Ford Laser SR2
Great short film mate! Keep up the good work