Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 30-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
kemicalx
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Toyota MZ21, BG Astina
Send a message via MSN to kemicalx
Another BG clutch question.

Hi all,

After a little thinking I’ve decided to scrap the idea of getting a HD clutch kit installed. And will be just getting a replacement clutch and installing it myself. (= cheap)

Just wondering what exactly I will need to replace? The symptoms include:

- Excessive slipping when too much throttle is applied,
No acceleration because of this
- Shuddering due to clutch slipping when in a higher gear than the driving speed warrants
- Finally, when the clutch is left disengaged for a long time it starts to engage itself

So obviously the disk itself will need to be replaced how much would that be?

Will I need to replace the pilot bearing or the pressure plate? Could I upgrade the pressure plate cheaply to give the standard disk more clamp?
Front: Boston Rally Splits Sub: Diamond Audio M3151.8 15"
138.9dB @ 59Hz on Termlab
Trigun Motorsport
kemicalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 30-03-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
redrush

Hi there,
I had the same problem with mine i did replace the clutch 2 weeks ago now, and i could only purchase the standard kit which is alright the other one lasted 200,000 k's the clutch itself from repco cost me approx $250 and as i got it put in by a family friend the labour was also cheap but it doesnt seem to be a huge task, gl with the install

edit: i also saw your other post it was a SOHC in the end but my car has more power now than what it did when i baught it so its a good sign

Last edited by redrush; 30-03-2005 at 06:28 PM.
redrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
kemicalx
AstinaGT Regular

$250 eh? i would have thought it would be cheaper than that.
thanks for your help though
Trigun Motorsport
Old 30-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
A clutch kit should come with the clutch plate, pressure plate and throw-out bearing (goes between the pressure plate and activation fork as one is stationary and the other can spin beyond 7,000rpm)
Old 30-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
kemicalx
AstinaGT Regular

OK, and i'll need the whole kit, not just the clutch plate itself? I'm trying to do this on the cheap, but obviously I want it to last. Sooo if a kits needed a kits needed. It's just, at $250 for a standard kit i could spend another $70 and get an Exedy HD clutch kit (the "expensive" route i'm trying to avoid)
Trigun Motorsport
Old 31-03-2005, 06:31 AM   #6
geetee

Car: A Mazda 323F BJ Sport.
Send a message via MSN to geetee
thats a personal choice though.......
if you feel the need for a HD clutch then you should probably get one.
if you felt the clutch was ok before it started slipping then go with the standard!!!
this is a guess but wouldn`t a HD clutch put more strain on the gearbox?
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemicalx
- Finally, when the clutch is left disengaged for a long time it starts to engage itself
Hey mate, if this continues after you replace the clutch, you will find that one of your cylinders is starting to fail....either master or slave. These are quite easy to rebiuld or replace compared to replacing the clutch itself.

When you replacing the clutch, check for leaks around the slave cyl (attached to the gearbox) and also inside the car on the firewall where your clutch pedal is (master cyl). If there are any signs of leaking fluid, they should be replaced.

Also, yes you should replace the Spigget (sp?) bearing, its the one in the center of the fly. When you get it machined, they should be able to supply and replace that aswell. May as well do the throw out (thrust) bearing at the same time, as it can give quite an annoying squeel when it starts to fail. If they haven't been replaced before, I'd do the lot.
Old 31-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
kemicalx
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee
thats a personal choice though.......
if you feel the need for a HD clutch then you should probably get one.
if you felt the clutch was ok before it started slipping then go with the standard!!!
this is a guess but wouldn`t a HD clutch put more strain on the gearbox?
Thats what i thought,

But it won't during regular use I beleive. With high RPM clutch dumping a HD clutch is bad news for my gearbox, because it is less likely the clutch will slip before the box blows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-80E
Hey mate, if this continues after you replace the clutch, you will find that one of your cylinders is starting to fail....either master or slave. These are quite easy to rebiuld or replace compared to replacing the clutch itself.

When you replacing the clutch, check for leaks around the slave cyl (attached to the gearbox) and also inside the car on the firewall where your clutch pedal is (master cyl). If there are any signs of leaking fluid, they should be replaced.

Also, yes you should replace the Spigget (sp?) bearing, its the one in the center of the fly. When you get it machined, they should be able to supply and replace that aswell. May as well do the throw out (thrust) bearing at the same time, as it can give quite an annoying squeel when it starts to fail. If they haven't been replaced before, I'd do the lot.
Cheers,

ok then so it's looking like the whole lot will need to be done. And depending what conclusion I come to after doing a little shopping around i may or may not get the HD. At least i'll save on labour well... presuming i am able to do it

I will also check for cylinder leakage those rebuild kits only cost about $15 yer?
Trigun Motorsport

Last edited by kemicalx; 31-03-2005 at 08:54 AM.