Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Naughty Project over - sorry! now parting out

Am gathering parts @ moment before I rip into the naughty again. Decided to keep it for now so, DR Frankenstein, eat your heart out

Will pop some pics up later tonight as re-cap of before & now stages

Constructive discussion welcome although I want to keep it tight for others to benefit from it

Though I will be putting up pics of progress (meaningfull ones only), will do a kind of before/after thing with images @ the end.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 27-09-2010 at 11:28 AM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
NaughtyGT

Will be picking up an engine stand so i can begin work on the JDM B6T. The engine is the first phase of the project. If I get 120wkw out of it with just bolt-ons, using the stock ECU I'll be more than happy.

Tossing up whether to use the Chrome Moly F/Wheel as the stock one needs re-surfacing if I use it. Clutch is shagged so I will be using the 5 Spoke Button Clutch I originally had on naughty. Still can't believe the way these clutch plates bite into the pressure plates. Amazing. You definately have to respect them if you want your box to last lol.

Water pump pulley is bent & pump pretty seazed so I will be replacing those with ones off the GTX. They were only 50k old anyway.

I've flushed the hybrid scooby turbo thoroughly with WD40 to remove any foreign material & get right into the seals. It is now wrapped in Glad Wrap ready to spin @ 100k

Cleaned the garage so I can work around the car

Sourced front end & suspension parts for up ahead

The IC fab will be a bit of a challenge but @ least I have SS & Alum piping off the GTX to work with. Just need to tidy up fittings etc.

Thanks Gav for the gear your sending me as it will help me decide which way to go & help piece together the hole turbo/manifold bit.

BFs' ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 14-12-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 13-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Well, if you don't use the chromoly flywheel, I think I could make it work with the purchase of a new clutch on my KE.

Hmmm, did you ever have left over Boxy plenum brackets? I so want these.
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Well, if you don't use the chromoly flywheel, I think I could make it work with the purchase of a new clutch on my KE.
didn't think you wanted it Gav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Hmmm, did you ever have left over Boxy plenum brackets? I so want these.
Gav.
I do but I though you said you had some? If not, I'll keep them for you! Let me know before I send your other gear off

Can't wait till I cast my eyes on the gear your sending Gav

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 13-12-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 13-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
didn't think you wanted it Gav?
Well, I don't think the clutch in the car will handle the power it's going to be making. So, a new clutch is in order, and given that, a flywheel upgrade might be worthwhile too. I just don't know which clutch goes with this flywheel. Was it 220/230mm surface area?

Quote:
I do but I though you said you had some? If not, I'll keep them for you! Let me know before I send your other gear off
Nah, I've been busting to get my hands on these brackets for long time!

Quote:
Can't wait till I cast my eyes on the gear your sending Gav
Oh, the flange adapter will need a coat of paint to look choice. My one is brushed, so I didn't bother painting or coating it. I really wish they didn't brush it up, cause if they left it plain I would've been happy to get it HPC coated black with all the other intake stuff...

Gav.
Old 13-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
NaughtyGT

Gav, the fly is identicle to the stock B6T one. I think 225mm if I remember? CorkSport stated that it is actually designed for the 1.8L BP's but all you have to do to fit it to the B6T is use a B6T clutch!

I know noone likes the spoke clutches but, they won't slip with the extra stresses placed on them by the higher-end torque your engine will produce! They are a piece a piss to get used to & will not wreck your box IF you respect them. You aren't going to drop the clutch @ 3500 are you? So, get the brass button Gav. You'll have a smile from ear to ear. They are a bitch to get used to as they tend to grab & shake the drive shafts but,....little practice, all's cool!

Let me know before I send your gear out. I will add the boxy brackets

I'm actually getting the brass button pressure plate re-surfaced here in VIC Jesse (Jesiotrot) has put me onto a shop & will be using the old clutch plate. $600 kit Gav so,........will be re-using it. Still has heaps of meat left on it.

edit: may not bother with the pressure plate being re-surfaced. Proly won't seperate anyway. Apparently, it doesn't matter about the wear. That's normal.

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 14-12-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
NaughtyGT

Fly is comin' your way Gav...........can't wait to find out how it works on the Laser Beasty! If you port the head, it'll be mickey mouse Gav! you should notice some quick accel!

I'll get the stock fly machined up nice for mine & perhaps lightened & balanced? It'll do job I want nicely

Old 14-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
chicaboo

Yeah, I will get the new head port matched to my intake runners before putting it on the car. After the exhaust is fitted, I can go get my new cams/gears fitted and dialed in. At this point, the clutch should be slipping like a dog on wet vinyl!

Gav.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
NaughtyGT

trust me Gav, it will. Unless you go for a really heavy pressure plate & tuff as clutch material! This is why I endorse the dreaded spokey like women......friggin' touchy critters before they get started but, when there driven hard, grip like hell ........oops! sorry I'll go to the sin-bin now.........

incidently, that barrel IC I have is mighty heavy

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 14-12-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Naughty i can't wait to see this this running. i've see gavs and helped him a couple of time with her. but ur machine will be one of a kind. good luck with her

Gav still need a hand. i'm always free 4 u man.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
NaughtyGT

^^ thanks Mat, I just needed time out to kinda re-focus. A few stages to go through till it's running. I want it potent but reliable as a daily driver as well. My head hurts already lol

Old 15-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
NaughtyGT

Will be heading over to a guys house this Sat after work to pilfer all the harness gear I need to replace. ECU, Map Sensor & assorted interior stuff I gave to GTX buyer. Because the GTX had EMS, there was really bugger all stock harness gear left in it. Also need to rattle off strut bolts to change the 4WD spring housings with my 2WD ones. There not interchangeable unfortunately.

Will be picking up an Engine Hoist as well as the stand Friday or Sat as well. Just toey to start with the engine freshen up. Can't stand the engine sitting on it's side on the pallet any longer nor the ugly rusty flywheel. Already thrown the silly clutch kit to foreverland lol

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 15-12-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
chicaboo

Nab me a spare fuel rail/reg while you're there please!
Old 15-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
NaughtyGT

Gav, if you refer to the Boxy rail, I have one. Aus one I don't s, let me know & I'll grab it for you

Old 15-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
chicaboo

Quote:
Gav, if you refer to the Boxy rail, I have one. Aus one I don't s, let me know & I'll grab it for you
Oh, I need a rail for the boxy. I was silly and sold my boxy rail and reg.
Old 15-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
NaughtyGT

ditched the A/Con. 5 kilos lighter? what's that......0.008 kw of power extra? yeehoo lol

seriously. It had to go to make way for the BP dump pipe I'm going to try. May go for a custom one in the end. I gave the split dump I had away, bugger! Along with the 2 1/2" Cat........I'm too much of a bloody softy when it comes to helping others out with their projects. Not unlike Gav. They say it comes back around though & it does. A mate near me is lending me his engine hoist & giving me some parts (ones I gave away too) cause' I gave him parts really cheap.

I reckon that's what it's all about. Helping each other

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 15-12-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 18-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
NaughtyGT

Wow.....what a day! Travelled all over Melbourne today picking up gear including engine stand. I have the engine on the stand now ready for Monday when I can start ripping stuff off it Then soon after getting home, courier arrives with my Scooby flange from Gav...wooohoooo! Nice!

Here are a few pics of Naughty just about bare with engine on the stand waiting to be freshened up. Stage 1 of Phase 1 lol:

P.S. thanks Gav for the flange & pipe...very nice

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 18-12-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 19-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #18
chicaboo

Quote:

P.S. thanks Gav for the flange & pipe...very nice
It looks like it will come in handy, as the old Garret intake pipe won't fit anymore. If you can get your hands on the top flexi part of the stock saxophone, you can then cut your old intake pipe shorter and run it into that! And if you are running a stock JDM ECU, you will need a VAF, and that will also just fit to the flexi part of the saxophone, and then you just pod adpat to that if you like. Lot's of options.

If you can send me a pic showing how your wastegate actuator is seated, I will let you know if you are likely to run into troubles with that. If I see a problem, I will send you something to help sort you out.

Gav.
Old 19-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #19
NaughtyGT

I am picking up the ECU & VAF today after work. When I get it all together I'll give you a hoey. I was hoping to simply use reducer cone on the welded Aluminium saxaphone. Will have to see up ahead.

I'll check the actuator too when I get home but I think it sits between block & compressor? Off to work now (great)

Old 19-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
chicaboo

I don't have all the bits here, but I can somewhat put my upgraded saxophone together to show you how it works.

Gav.