Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Queensland

Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #41
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
any1 wana loan me some racing slicks?
You've not looked at the price of these have you?
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #42
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
any1 wana loan me some racing slicks?
You dont need them
If you say you get traction on the street then you WILL get traction on hte track
You just need to learn how to release the clutch
BTW you should not only learn that but when you do you will be able to launch at a higher rpm
So practice away
Its just not as simple as 'dump n go'
the word is release but its also dependant on car feel and traction, so get your mind and feet working together and you will say something like HOLY CRAP I'm off like a Jews foreskin
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #43
chicaboo

Yeah I remember saying that exact same thing the one time I put together that elusive perfect launch. However in my excitement I forgot about the whole changing gear thing and bounced it... Easy come easy go...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #44
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
bouncing is fun ... ooo not that bouncing

ill be at minijam as the parts car slut, but im coming a little more prepared than last time going to set up fort mazda in a big way

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #45
Ian

Car: 1990 R32 GTR
Humm

I dont just drop the clutch... its hard to explain. Its not that I loose traction in 1st, no thats fine, im fine with lettin the clutch out on first, its second that gets me, when I go for second I spin the wheels and the car jumps to 6.5 and I have to change there and then to third.

Its stoping that second wheel spin thats the chalange.

Mah Ride!
details

Last edited by Ian; 12-03-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #46
chicaboo

So cosy the clutch in 2nd too...
Old 12-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #47
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Humm

I dont just drop the clutch... its hard to explain. Its not that I loose traction in 1st, no thats fine, im fine with lettin the clutch out on first, its second that gets me, when I go for second I spin the wheels and the car jumps to 6.5 and I have to change there and then to third.

Its stoping that second wheel spin thats the chalange.
as soon as your regain traction your revs will drop ... changin into 3rd ****s you up ...you would be much better off easing off the gas and replying if you get spin in second

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 13-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #48
SILVABULLIT

Car: Hilux, Civic, Kombi
Drag slicks will hook up way better than street tyres as they're designed to do it. with all the rubber and traction compounds on the start line street tyres just don't get the grip down. Perfect example of this is how Twilight can launch hard off the line with very minimal amounts of wheelspin.
SILVABULLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #49
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
going to set up fort mazda in a big way
i have a big mazda flag :P i will bring it
Old 13-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #50
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVABULLIT
Drag slicks will hook up way better than street tyres as they're designed to do it. with all the rubber and traction compounds on the start line street tyres just don't get the grip down. Perfect example of this is how Twilight can launch hard off the line with very minimal amounts of wheelspin.
You're just never gunna drop this are you?

despite what you think....tyres are not hte be all and end all... OMFG..drop some drag slicks on your pushbike and you'll run 9s!!!!!.

its not that easy...you need the power to lose traction at a good launch RPM to have any value. Generally for the power we're talking about, if you're getting unstuck, you're launching to high.

i spun my wheels, on street rubber, once at hte TNT...why? my launch rpm was miles to high and i didnt slide the clutch out..(that was sitting beside you SB, and i still beat you off the line! without drag radials!)

twilights already told you his best without the so-called drag radials (which are 100% street rubber mate, if you dont believe me head down to your local tyre place and buy a set...)....the extra sticky rubber is for consistancy... and to save the daily driven tyres from punishment. here we go read again, just incase you didnt get it the first time.... they are 100% street legal tyres..nothing special....they are not slick tyres, or drag tyres.....

even so do you think it would have made a difference? he still would have gone sub 15secs....you still would have been nowhere near him. Even with all the crap in the back of his car he would have done 15 flats...so for the last time drop it. get over it. cope. at the end of the day you STILL out did his power to weight by a HUGE amount....if anything the "race tyres" and "biggest loser weight loss program" only served to add parity to the race...not detract from it.

ian give this a go: while staging, release the clutch just enough that it bites but doesnt take up (so its like a hairs breadth away from engaging)... hold your revs around where you wanna launch then when you go (right when that last amber goes on), let the clutch out every so slightly and give it a bit...ride the clutch right out through first..and maybe try riding it all the way through 2nd as well... wont do your clutch any favours..but you'd be looking for a racing clutch setup in the not too distant future anyway wouldnt you?

Just dont be too keen to get second gear away....
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #51
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVABULLIT
Brendan, I think all of us are sick of reading about drag slicks and windshield wipers on AGT and TOCA. If you're gonna keep going on about this, people are just gonna think you're a bleeting whinging bitch. Have you heard your nickname around these parts?

Go buy a set of BFGs like Andy's and do some runs back to back with and without them. You might lose 0.2s off YOUR ET because your car has more power and will get more advantage out of them... If you want to tightarse it, get some Toyo Proxes RA1 just for dragging like I did, they are only $207ea RRP from your local Tyrepower upon request.

Finally, if you are an advocate of only running true street trim (and you can bet manufacturers don't when they test for publicity), don't compare your times to people who do otherwise. It's as simple as that!

Fat slow and proud,
Gav.
Old 13-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #52
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

if your a tight arse go get some race compound retreads ... ubber mega grip! ubber mega cheap! and tirepower are powerful at one thing, involves a shaft and a tugging motion! get your arses down to hornibrook motorsport, 4 basalt street geebung!!

tim - do it do it

SB - i saw you the other day on norris road

I THINK I AM N2!

Last edited by Nate; 13-03-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 14-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #53
Ian

Car: 1990 R32 GTR
Lordworm - I allready have a Exceedy 400 HD custom clutch. Im sure it will cope, and there not that expensive to replace anyway.

As to the launching, ill give it a go. Sounds like a good idea. Easy to redlight, but who cares about red light at TNT?

Mah Ride!
details
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #54
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Lordworm - I allready have a Exceedy 400 HD custom clutch. Im sure it will cope, and there not that expensive to replace anyway.

As to the launching, ill give it a go. Sounds like a good idea. Easy to redlight, but who cares about red light at TNT?
you wont red light mate
if you go right on the last amber, you will get like a 400 to 500ms launch

i made the mistake on my first couple of runs of launching when i saw green... got 800s, 900s, and embarissing 1.1secs..

when i worked out to go earlier, i got my launch down to 0.491, not bad for a first timer i dont think. (out launched andy in gavs car too..i was chuffed bout that!!!)

by the time your brain goes "oh its the last amber" and tells your right foot to hit the floor and left to come off the clutch, its gone green....
Old 14-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #55
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
i dont lose traction because i know how to use the clutch. i didnt lose traction when i drove gav's or greg's car that night......
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #56
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
i dont lose traction because i know how to use the clutch. i didnt lose traction when i drove gav's or greg's car that night......
that was the point i was trying to get accross :P
Old 15-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #57
GTXWGN

Car: tree two tree
Send a message via MSN to GTXWGN
im going to test n tune tonight to try my launchs

yeah dont let a red light imtimidate you , just wait for the green then go when youre ready......when youre practising launches the Reaction time doesnt do **** and it can itimidate you waiting for the lights...for get they are there and jsut take off as u want