Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Ben

Car: MPS
4 channel amp

Hi guys,

So i got a cheap 4 channel amp from cash converters a few days ago...

It's a Kenwood KAC-M846 (Linky) http://au.kenwood.com/Car_Entertainm...fiers/KAC-M846

How my old system works is that the little asian who owned it ran his stock stereo through a amp for speakers and to gain a sub.. Smart really. However now that i want to swap this 50W amp (Thats not per channel, my head-unit pumps out more power HA) with the new kenwood.

Because of this he has wired it through what looks to be a ISO plug into the amp.. All amps have them, where it takes original wiring loom into the amp, then you use your normal speaker cords onto the speakers. SO i thought i could just find a plug to fit into this kenwood, but apparently they are hard to find. (Didn't come with one since it was a cash converter amp)

SO how can i wire this up without re-wiring the whole car. Can i just use RCA cables? or what.. Not sure how speaker amps work since i've never had one. Spoke to autobarn man and he said RCA cables work, but who trusts autobarn men when i have the training he has, which is none So help please!!!

I can take pictures if needed to understand what the fluff im on about.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Ben, gee where do we start Have a look at the posts in the audio forum here for starters or just google amp installations m8 as you need to have basic knowledge to hook sound up or you'll either hook things up wrong or damage components.

Just off the top of my head buddy (need a coffee).............

A few things. Autobarn do have qualified techies that install sound systems. Not sure what you mean by all amps have the ISO plugs Sure you don't mean HU? Head Units have 2 female plugs. One for the power/ground access. The other for speaker wires for use without an amp. You can get the male joiner plugs from Austobarn, Supercheap or JB HI FI.

The head unit has a built in amplifier that works as a "pre-amp" component. It is not the same as the amplifier power but acts as intermediate amplification to allow pre-amp support.

Amps use RCA cables (signal cables) to connect to head units so you merely run RCA cable/s from amp to HU! You leave the HU power plug connected.

Now. As far as hooking your amp up. Again, you merely use the RCA cables to speak to your head unit. The amp must have direct power from the battery & must be grounded securely. Also, amp needs a remote wire to connect to head unit so it can turn on/off via access wire on ignition.

Tip: Always run RCA cables away from power cables. Ground cables are fine

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Run new speaker wire from your doors to your amp. Then run a single wire to your amps for "power on". Can also wire from ign if notbrunning a hu at all like I'll be doing. Then 2x rcas for front left/right and sub.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Ben

Thanks Naughty... I'll have to take a picture of how its currently set up. The power wire, ground and IGN cables im all fine with. I may of meant HU, not sure what it is.

However, how its set up now is it has some plug? (maybe HU) Then all the speaker cables. Im not sure where they go or how its plugged in. There is NO RCA cables connected to the head-unit to the amp. From the speaker amp currently there is RCA cables to my subwoofer amp (Mono)

So this is where i am confused. I'll go take some pictures!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Clean_Cookie

so it takes the speaker level input, internal cross-over to gain the sub channel, and then outputs it again with the speaker wires?>? just cut everything, find which speaker is which, (use a 1.5v battery and flick it across to make it crackle (im sure theres a better way but thats far easier!), buy 2 sets of rca's for it, and extend the existing stock speaker cables (id recommend rerunning them in a slightly heavier wire...) and set it up like usual.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Ben

Thanks Ryan.. Will have to investigate into it when i get some spare time.. Might just test out RCA cables first before re-wiring.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Clean_Cookie

do that, if you want a hand lmk, ill be up to collect stuff from project-r (ryan too!)