Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 14-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
xdwhx

Car: 2002 323 Protegé Sport Edition
Mazda 323 Protege Sports Edition/Special Edition

Hey dude's, i was wondering if anyone owns or has previously owned one of these cars (Mazda 323 Protege Sports Edition/Special Edition) as i'm considering purchasing it.

After reading random reviews on the internet (hard to find as it is ) they all point to it being the SP20 with a few minor/major changes but i'm curious as to whether they have climate control/cruise control and if they have anything else missing. Redbook says it does not have climate control but i'm not too certain on its accuracy..

Would anyone happen to know any of this ?

Thank's!

Redbook link: http://redbook.com.au/used-cars/comp...d=126525426668
xdwhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 14-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Welcome to AGT

User 'woofy' had an SE20 a while back - PM him, or he might even find this thread himself

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Hey mate,

There were a couple differences between both the SP20 & SE20 with them being:

Different cloth trim
Black Headlights
ironing board spoiler

Climate Control was standard, but the cruise was a dealer option as far as im aware...
Old 14-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
xdwhx

Woah that was quick haha

@Rupewrecht:
Cheers, shall do!

@marcs_sp20:
Thanks man, clears alot up !

hopefully getting this weekend (if not the next)
Old 15-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
I found it.

SE20 had black interior which was a bit nicer than the grey SP20 one (was same as the Sport 20 in Japan in a lot of ways), also instead of a textured grey/silver bits on the seats, it had a soft silver almost leather like (probably vinyl) bit.

SE20 did not have climate control (go figure why though, but in all honesty, if you set it in the same place it worked the same, just was missing the numbers), had black headlights which looked nicer, had the tabletop spoiler (that apparently was functional), and had the previous BJII wheels. It didn't have the EBD ABS though, but rather had the BJII hatch SP20s ABS. One a plus note, it seems the SE20s have never had the VICS issue that the later and some of the earlier ones had. That was last time I checked internally with the Mazda database.

The Sports edition was a test run before they released the SP20 in sedan form, it was supposed to be a colour limited to it only (they are all starry blue) and there were 250 of them made which sold in about a month (May 2002), after which they started selling the BJIIJ48 in both hatch and sedan form, with the brake update I mentioned, and different wheels, that was pretty much all that changed in them. The special edition by the way, was a shades type model a few years earlier that wasn't the same apart from some interior bits. Lots of people advertise the Sports ed as special ed for some reason. Cruise control was a dealer option and sucked, we had 4 brand new units put on it before selling and sold it with a 6 mth old one that died. They were made in Brisbane and were complete crap, same ones were fitted to MX-5s and the last 626s. The same mob made the early Mazda 3 ones before they became factory fitted.
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
xdwhx

Hey dude,

Thank's a ton it's so difficult trying to find the differences between it and the SP20. But it's all good if it doesn't have either, would've just made it better but oh well. I also recall reading from an article that it had better suspension or something to do with the strut bar.. but i'll have to have another look later.

cheers!
Old 18-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
woofy

SP20, has EBD ABS and climate control (but like I said its pretty much the same dial just without the numbers).

The suspension strut brace etc is all the same. The two things mentioned above were all the Sp20 had that were an advantage, in other respects the SE20 was possibly a bit nicer, unless you hate the rear spoiler, (I liked it).
Old 19-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
xdwhx

Ahhh Fair enough, they're not really that different then.

After haggling alot i put a depost it down on it today and pick it up next week . Though this one didn't have cruise control.. it doesnt bother me xD but its so pretty.

The Spoiler looked very "riced" in the pictures (stock) but i was surprised how good it looks. Cheers for the help dudes!
Old 20-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
woofy

Probably a good thing, it means you can get a decent CC later on if you want. The Mazda one in the 5yrs we owned it from new, worked maybe 6mths of those.