Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 15-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
terninatortim

Question 1990 BG astina SP: changing rear brake pads

Hey, im new to Astina GT and i've been changing the brake pads on my 1990 bg astina SP (1.8 DOHC).

The front ones were easy to change but the rear was an entirerly different story.

Can anyone help me out or direct me to a site where i can get some instructions? Any pictures could be helpful, i've temporarily misplaced my manual. . .

Besides that, my sunroof is rusted through (almost), i think it was a problem for most astinas of the time. Does anyone know where i can replace it? preferable with tinted glass?
Old 15-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
ferdinand_911

Car: Mazda 3
I just rebuilt the rear calipers on my BG SP & you're right it's alot more involved than doing the fronts....

As it is a single piston setup the caliper "floats" on rails or sliders. One of the two sliders is long and the other short with (unless it's missing) a black cap on the back (inboard) end of it...

If you take this black cap off you'll see the (10mm hex) head of a Bolt which you'll need to remove in order to pivot the rest of the caliper around the other slider through almost 180degrees. this will allow you to take the pads out and push the piston back to put the new pads in.

A couple of things to be aware of though: Take note of where all the anti squeal shims are before you pull the pads out and they fall on the floor. You'll laso have to adjust the handbrake mechanism (which should be off) all the way out before you'll have enough room for the new (thicker) pads and the disc in between them...to do this you'll have to remove the hex head bolt that is almost inline with the piston centreline and turn the allen key headed grub screw that sits underneath it. you should be able to see the piston move in/out depending on which way you turn the grub screw. Once the new pads are in and everything back together, while the car is still in the air you should re-adjust the handbrake so it clamps nicely on the rear discs. That way you car will still be where you left it when you park it on a hill!!

Hows that for a long winded answer?

Sorry i don't have any pics but feel free to ask if you have any dramas - I'm in Coorparoo...

JM
ferdinand_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
hello new members from qld!
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
terninatortim

Thanks for the help, and hellow to you other queenslanders. I should get a chance to check that out sometime this week. Think i'll do another search on the sunroof thing, if i can't find anything might start a new thread cos im sure other ppl have had the same thing.
Old 26-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
wechosethegoodlife

Car: 93 SP Astina, Pajero
Sorry about digging up an old thread but I have just done the pads on my 92 BG Astina SP & they are different as described earlier.

The handbrake adjustment is automatic on mine so to wind the pistons back you need to screw them clockwise using a pair of pointy nose pliers or similar in the indents on the face of the piston.

For identification of the calliper the pads are DB1159.

Shane
wechosethegoodlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Faust01

Car: Nissan laurel c35
Rear brake troubles

Hey they I've just failed my warrant if fitness recheck on my rear brakes.

They aren't imbalanced they are just very weak
Pedal is very firm but you can feel that the back brAkes do not engaged until the pedal is pretty much on the floor (I've pretty much gotta put all my weight on it to get it to the floor)

Any ideas what it could be?
Car has not been used since I bled the brakes, and put on new pads last week (I did this cuz it failed on the rears being weak on the initial warrant check)

The guy at the wof station said it could be the "decision valve" or something like that which adjusts the pressure which goes to the back?

I've also noticed a weird part of the car under the battery where all of the brake lines seem to go.

Any ideas?

Car is a 1990 bg8p 1.8L manual sunroof
Faust01 is offline   Reply With Quote