Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 06-10-2003, 01:36 AM   #1
***G***

Gearbox problem

Hi guys need a bit of help, was driving my car yesterday somehow didnt see the rock that hit the underside of my gearbox. :? pulled over and had a quick look everything seemed ok drove for another 50 miles before a whistling noise started when in fifth gear :x .got the car home and checked it out,the plug on the underside of the gearbox was gone which meant all transmision fluid was lost from gearbox.have today replased the plug and transmision fluid.does anybody know how much fluid is needed for the gearbox. that whistling noise in fifth is still there :cry:. have also noticed a clicking noise from the the wheels when the car is cold when turning. all help greatly appreciated guys...
***G*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2003, 09:38 AM   #2
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
For a manual gearbox you'd typically fill it to the fill pug level. However the damage done may mean that you'll never get rid of the whine.

The clicking noise is probably the CV joinst - the grease possibly is drying out so they are noisey until the grease warms up and lubes them again.

A.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Agree with A.
For a Manual you fill till it spills, even a little more generaly doesn't hurt.
An auto you should check with the transmission dipstick with the motor running.
I'm guessing it's a manual as an auto without fluid doesn't go very far.

And the CV's are my guess as well to be the source of the clicking while turning. Talk to your mechanic as he/she may know of someone who can rebulid them.

Rod
Old 06-10-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
dfvadr

Car: ss , sp20 , 94ba
yep defenatly to it runs out the filler plug , but i dont agree with a little more in anything thats what causes seals to leak , as for ur noises good luck
- 18"ame's
- custom interior
- kenwood head unit , pioneer speakers driven by 800 watt amp , kicker subs driven by 1000 watt amps each sub [135.2db at supernats], two 1th caps 4 tv screens dvd player
- xbox
- airbag suspension with gas strut towers
- custom plates an airbrushing on bonnet
dfvadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
astinasp

The whine would be the 5th gear bearing, they are on a separate shaft to the other gears and have a smaller bearing making them more susceptible to damage.
astinasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #6
BigBoyLemonade
The Architect

Car: AUSDM S6 RX7
Send a message via ICQ to BigBoyLemonade
Clicking can be a broken tooth... Thats how mine started... the bearing casing in our boxes are very very weak also and subject to movement with twist. Thus stuffing the bearings.. the worst thing for our gearboxes is wheel spin.

Infinite Networks- Creative Web design and powerful online application solutions
BigBoyLemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:23 PM   #7
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Was the clicking present before the fluid loss incident?

Rod
Old 11-10-2003, 08:40 AM   #8
***G***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude
Was the clicking present before the fluid loss incident?

Rod
Hi guys thanks for all the replies,the clicking wasnt there before the fluid incident.just been to mazda main dealer mech and he reckons the fifth gear bearing is gone like astinasp suggested. he suggested a whole new gearbox but i need a second opinion dunno if hes just lookin to make some easy cash.he also said the front anti roll bar links are finished will do those myself tomorrow...
***G*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #9
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
Main reason they'd suggest a new 'box is becuase the labour to swap a box and the remove and replace your current box is the same. You then have to pay additional labour to have the box stripped, the offending bearing replaced and the whole thing put back together. And there's no hard and fast guarentee thatt eh bearing is the ONLY stuffed thing in the box.

The difference in cost between repairing your current box and a 'new' or used good box could be eaten up very quickly if it has to come out again....

A.