Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
@Kris, the bp miata boys rev 8k all day. Some up to 9k. Purely better rods?
The numbers I mentioned in my previous post are a little more then what an FP will safely do day in day out. This is because a FP rod is 129.9mm long and a BP rod is 132mm long thus the rod ratio is better on a BP then a FP and can handle a few hundred rpm more then a FP

@Cookie, a forged rod won't stretch like a stock rod and will handle the loads better etc. You will still however run into issues with piston speed. But failure due to piston acceleration or side loads etc wont be an issue till much later.

Depending on you view and expectations from the motor depends how high you can go really. If you want the engine to last, you wont exceed the maximum you would on a stock rod. The extra strength being there for longevity. i.e. FS engine literally starts to fly apart around 7400 rpm (It will rev that high but not for long, the loads and forces are pretty stupid), with aftermarket forged rods max rpm for safety would be 7400-7500. Even though the extra strength means you might be able to handle 7600 or 7700.

If you use longer rods, i.e. push the wrist pin further up the piston you can extend your rev limit safely. e.g. on my engine ~7600-7700 is where about safe would end if a stock rod of same length was used. As I want the engine to last a while my rev limit is set for 7800. Kinda moot really given my peak power was over 1000rpm ago but *shrug*