Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > ACT

Old 28-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
skitz
I'm not as dumb as my posts would indicate

Car: astina ba 97
Send a message via MSN to skitz
random legalitys info

hey all in act,

as i have been slowly doing things to my car i have been keeping in touch with the rta and the current laws with those items ...so i am making this thread with info so in turn it may help answer some questions in the future.

i will add more over time!!

coil-overs/suspention:
"Currently all Road Transport agencies in the States and Territories use a National Code of Practice (NCOP) for light vehicle construction and modification which can be found as Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) No 14 which can be viewed and accessed at http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safet...tin/index.aspx

The use of coil over shocks is contained under Section LS, we are using the use of Coil Overs as a suspension strut or upright substitution, and therefore a modification to a vehicle.

In December 2006 the ACT conducted some market research with the regard to the use of Coil Over shocks with some suppliers and the engineering signatories and have come up with the following.

Until we can get clearer answer from all the states of the use of Coil Over, We are treating the use of Coil over suspension as a modification as such are requesting that an engineering report be submitted with the inspection of the modified vehicle.

The suspension requirements fall into a few special requirements;

Suspension travel.
Minimum bump stop clearance.
Ground Clearance.
Structure sound, fitment.

Can I fit lowered springs ?, yes however they cannot be cut or heat affected, must be retained in the system when load is removed (can't fall out if jacked up) include structurally sound, Must retain 2/3 of manufactures bump stop clearance and can't be below the manufactures min ride height, can't be found below the 100mm ground clearance. Hopefully this is not too technical but all these things affects you vehicles handling.

Basically, if you fit one of the more common suspension replacement options available for your vehicle that is recommended by a retailer you should not have a problem, and no additional engineering reports should be required (except Coil Over as discussed). You can discuss with the retailer or ring our Vehicle Inspection Technical Standards (VITU) on 62077236 when you decide on the product or range. Please remember that the springs are only one component and may need to consider the whole suspension."

Peter Hunter
Manager - Vehicle Safety
ACT Office of Transport
Level 6, Macarthur House
12 Wattle St Lyneham ACT 2602
PO Box 151, Civic Square ACT 2606
Ph (02) 6205-3597
Fax (02) 6207-7160

rims/wheel sizes:
"The allowable increase in rolling diameter for your vehicle is 15mm from the largest option offered by the manufacturer for that particular vehicle. This information is recorded on the vehicles tyre placard.

However you still have to ensue that track measurements are not decreased at all or increased by more than 25mm. This is determined by the rim offset. In short you would have to ensure that the rim offset in no more than 12.5mm per side more than standard. Other factors that must be considered are that the wheel and tyre combination doesn't foul any part of the steering, suspension or body on any of its operation and an equivalent load rating for the tyre is achieved."

Regards
Gerry Ward
Technical Officer
Road User Services - Technical Standards
e-mail: gerry.ward@act.gov.au

NOTES:

"the BA 1.8L stock wheels According to my records, a 195/55 - R15 has an over all rolling diameter of 595mm." quoted form Gerry Ward as above

hope this helps someone other than me ...

cheers kyle:P

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Wakefield Park: 1:14.8100

Last edited by skitz; 28-05-2007 at 04:24 PM.
skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links