Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
mussing

Car: 1990 323 Astina BG SP
Audio, the whole shebang

Ok, so I'd like to pimp the audio in my SP. First things first, head units. The most important thing for me is front-panel usb for thumb drives, so I'm thinking something like the Kenwood KDC-MP438U or Clarion DXZ385USB. Looking at less than $200. Your thoughts?

Second, speakers. I'm thinking Boston SL60s, which seem to be pretty popular among astina owners and others. I figure I'll spend a fair amount on a decent pair of front speakers, and leave the back ones stock for now. Is that wise? Would it be worth paying even more, and going Boston Pro60s (which everyone seems to think are amazing)? Should I replace the stock rear speakers with a couple of 4" 2-ways?

Sub. Right. I don't want a big sub. I mostly listen to rock, alternative, acoustic - basically the sort of thing they play on Triple J. I don't listen to dance, techno, r&b, or any of that type of music that would warrant a large sub. With this in mind, I want tight and accurate bass, not deeper or louder. I definitely don't want a sub that drowns out the mid and high ranges, which for me is where the action is. Also, I'm wary of losing too much boot space, since I do a lot of road tripping - in fact, I plan to have this all set up before a 10 hour drive to Byron Bay for the Splendour in the Grass music festival. With this in mind, would an 8" sub be suitable? What sort of enclosure would you guys recommend, if any? Has anyone tried something like this?

Amp. I am unsure of what criteria I should be considering in purchasing an amp. Should I use it to power just the front speakers and sub, and run the rears off the HU? What RMS rating should I be looking at? 2 Channel or 4? I understand what amps do, but not really the differences between them, or how to tell a quality amp from a crap one. Also I don't need it to be fully sik bro, just powerful enough to be loud inside, not necessarily out. I'm thinking I'll velcro it down underneath the LHF seat. I'll probably go with a brand that I recognise.

Nb. I also plan to put in some sound deadening. Not dynamat - I don't have that kind of budget - but maybe the Jaycar stuff, to help stop the veritable opera of vibrations which happens across the entire rev range.
mussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links