Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 18-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Indio

Car: Holden Zafira
what is the best way to C.A.I a ba pod filter ?

Got a 94 BA and have put a k&n pod filter, now what to know the best way to do C.A.I for it and should I get the plastic piping from the throttle body to the pod changed to metal and if so where from ?
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 18-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
i know this isn't exactly the answer to your question, but what i would suggest is a panel filter with a CAI

So instead of replacing the stock piping, i woud get a K&N panel filter for the stock box, and from there custom make some piping to lead from the bottom of the air filter box to the bottom/front of the car.

If you do the piping right and there is no air leaks anywhere along the way, you should notice a nice increase to response.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
what redline said x2
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
he's already got the pod so i don't think he'll want to go spend more on a panel etc.

the easiest thing you can do is get an adaptor for the AFM (Supercheap has them, don't know about autobarn or others) and run piping from the afm to where the resonator box used to live behind the front bumper and locate your pod there. i'm not sure if you have to enclose it as its pretty much outside the engine bay. stainless steel is probably the best option, stainless wrapped with heat proof tape is better again (keeps it nice and chilly).

replacing the plastic corrugated piping from afm to the throttle body would also be a good idea
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Indio

Car: Holden Zafira
what is the best way to remove the resonator box from behind the bumper ?
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
mike_d87
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
the easiest thing you can do is get an adaptor for the AFM (Supercheap has them, don't know about autobarn or others) and run piping from the afm to where the resonator box used to live behind the front bumper and locate your pod there. i'm not sure if you have to enclose it as its pretty much outside the engine bay. stainless steel is probably the best option, stainless wrapped with heat proof tape is better again (keeps it nice and chilly).
This is worth trying. I tried fitting a pod where the resonator box was on the weekend and it wouldn't fit because of some freaking a/c component. It was a pretty big pod though, it got smaller as it came to the open end, which is the same size as the intake pipe.
mike_d87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
DavoAust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio View Post
what is the best way to remove the resonator box from behind the bumper ?
by removing the bumper. no ****. its a pain if you dont remove it, you have to pull off the passenger wheel and then the guard liner. not worth it when its faster to pull out the lights and unbolt/clip it. takes me 15-20min tops to pull mine now, you get used to it fast lol

from memory the resonator box has 3 screws and you can actually remove 2 with the bumper on. its getting the box out and the last screw thats annoying.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
Old 19-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
schwinn

Car: Astina BA11F1
Sorry to make an aside, but what are insurance implications when pulling this off? Whether it's a pod filter + CAI or the favorite panel + CAI?

I've got a BAv6, and haven't looked properly but I don't see any place to feed the air in from the front as the fogs are blocking?
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
Sorry to make an aside, but what are insurance implications when pulling this off? Whether it's a pod filter + CAI or the favorite panel + CAI?

I've got a BAv6, and haven't looked properly but I don't see any place to feed the air in from the front as the fogs are blocking?
yeah its difficult for us v6ers
when i have my air feed on i take air from under the car, but i make sure i dont suck up water by taking it off when its raining
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
DavoAust

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
the only way you can find out is to talk to your insurer.

if you have a hardtop you have a air intake hole to the right of the fog light hole, plus there should be room for air around the light. if you're desparate for more, remove the light and drawing straight in

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT