Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 28-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
nalawa
DBF

Throttle Body

During the past few weeks the car has developed a gremlin (unexplained intermittent annoying bug). Three times (to date) the car suddenly lost power and then found it, repeatedly. Sort of like if you got off the gas / on the gas, and the car lurches at the same time. Thought it might have just been the bloody cold mornings on the sunny south coast, but it struck again the other day on the way to work when it was nice and warm (car and weather). It does this for five minutes(ish) then goes away at higher speed (over 80) or after stopping (3rd time at the tunnel toll booth). Had the car looked at the other day and they found a build up of carbon in the throttle body. Question is where would this build up come from and could this have been the cause of my gremlin? If not any suggestion what it might be? I am thinking of going to a Mazda dealer and get them to interrogate the computer to see if any fault codes have been logged.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 28-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
carbon in the TB - egr. exhaust gas recirculation. that wont be causing the problem.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
If you look at the motor there are 2 pipes that connect the rocker to the intake
system 1 is the PCV into the back of the manifold and the 2nd is on the passenger
side of the rocker which connects directly into the intake piping. This is where the
buildup comes from as oily air goes into the intake which has carbon in it from blowby.
It is a natural occurence if you want to eliminate it you will need a catch can fitted.
Old 29-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
If you have a buildup in the throttlebody then you probably have the same in the IAC. Blast it with WD40 or carby cleaner and leave it over night, any residue will burn-off the following morning. You may also be a candidate for Subaru upper engine cleaner, give it a go.
Old 29-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
mazdamanik

Car: Was an Astina now a Commohore :-(
Send a message via MSN to mazdamanik
It sounds like a similar problem i had....mine was the oxygen sensor that sits on the exhaust manifold going nuts....i replaced it now its all good, get ur mechanic to cehck your error codes....might e worth changing anyway noticed a fair performance difference compared to when i first got the car
Old 29-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
MeFo
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina GT
I'm still yet to get my sensors checked, but I've had my ECU read and no errors on it. Only really runs rough in the 1st 5 minutes but you can still feel a lack of performance once she's warmed up...
MeFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
mazdamanik

u could have teh same Mefo....could also be ur air flow meter, dad had a problem with that in his hilux...i think be worth changing the O2 sensor though...when mine was playing up it would only regester on the odd occasion that there was a problem with the O2 sensor, as nalawa said it sort comes and goes so it dosnt regester an error unless its playing up which it isnt all the time so its hard to find it
Old 29-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Follow the path from the cheapest. First check that you have no air leaks (make a stethoscope from some rubber tubing and poke around) then maintenance things like cleaning bits 'n' pieces and inspecting the spark plugs (even relativly new plugs can tell a tale). Then think about changing expensive parts like O2 sensors or air flow meters.
Old 29-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
nalawa
DBF

Thanks for the replies!

I think I will follow Cosmo's advice and check and clean a few things first. Concurrently I will take it to the local Mazda dealer for them to read the ECU and see if any fault codes have been logged. Then wait to see if my gremlin appears (again). If it does rear it's ugly head then I will think about a new O2 sensor.

As for the Subaru upper engine cleaner what exactly does this do and would I use this as well as the WD40 in the IAC or instead.

Thanks again for all your replies, guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend.
Old 29-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #10
mazdamanik

sounds like a good idea, but like i said just checking ur error codes may not show up the problem straight away either so just double check them
Old 29-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #11
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

The Subaru upper engine cleaner is an aerosol can, half of it is sprayed into and around the intake plenum/throttlebody and left to work for a few minutes before starting the engine and spraying in the rest. It is ment to clean all the crap and carbon from the throttlebody through to the exhaust manifold.

Catch is that it's only available from Subaru but is less than $20 per treatment.

ECUs have both current error codes and stored error codes. Using a test lamp will only read current codes while the Mazda interface should be able to read the history.
Old 29-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #12
mazdamanik

oh ok fair enough, my mechanic only had the test lamp that why
Old 28-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #13
nalawa
DBF

Well after some delays due to the dealer and warranty company I finally got permission for my local mazda dealer to check out the problem. An hour thirty later the diagnosis is that that the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is on the fritz and is causing my problems. Unfortunately this is not covered under the used car warrranty and is going to cost me a snappy $300.00 ($245 for a replacement TPS and $50 for a 1/2 hours labour). Good news is that the warranty will pick up the 1 hr 30 min labour/diagnosis costs. So tomorrow after the part has arrived from Melbourne the car should be running sweet again.

Thanks for all the previous suggestions and I'll be visiting the Subaru dealer to get a can of head cleaner.
Old 28-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #14
twilightprotege

how is that not covered under a warranty?
Old 28-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #15
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Frog ****. If your car is under warranty and they diagnose it for free then they can fix it for free. Grab your warranty and read it. (Sorry I deal, every day, with people who don't read that kinda stuff and get ripped. It's their own fault and they deserve what they get)
I can go on and on but in the end you have a choice;
1. Take responsibility for your actions.
2. Be a victim.
Sorry but your plight has struck a raw nerve
Old 28-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #16
nalawa
DBF

Cosmo,

Understand what you are saying and believe me I have read my limited used car warranty very carefully!!! Is is very specific about which parts are covered and which are not. In my contract the only electrical parts covered are the alternator, voltage regulator, starter motor, windscreen wiper motor and ECU. So as much as I wish it was covered it's not. So I am not a victim or negligent in reading my contract. When I had a water pump problem I was more than happy to argue the term of my contract and get them to replace it free of cost. In this instance I am happy they have agreed to pay the diagnostic fee! At the age of 42 I hope I have been around long enough to understand my rights and obligations. So soothe your raw nerves and remember to breath (in with the good, and out with the bad)
Old 28-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #17
twilightprotege

what a waste of paper warranty!
Old 28-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #18
DrSilver

Car: Astra Sri T
Send a message via MSN to DrSilver
dude, you got ripped off at the age of 42! thats bad!!
DrSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #19
nalawa
DBF

I would have to disagree about a waste of paper and being ripped off.

It is second hand car and I only paid $12000 for my darling 98 Hardtop through a recognised dealer. The paint work is excellent, the interior is pristine, all in all a very good car. Now at the time most equivalent BAs were selling privately for 13-14K and through a dealer 14-15K. So I paid considerably less and still got more than a standard used car 3 month warranty. While electrically is doesn't seem to cover much it covers pretty much all the mechanicals. Even the electricals cover the major bits the usual need replacing. Buying a car (as is life) is about compromise, we may not like it but it's the truth. So when I consider the price I paid and the quality of the car against the level of warranty I reckon I made a pretty good deal.

Last edited by nalawa; 29-06-2005 at 06:47 PM.
nalawa is offline   Reply With Quote