Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 25-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
few problems with my BA

So i have a few problems and i have a fairly good idea what the cause is but i'd like to see what other opinions are out there before i go spending money for nothing.

First of all, my car idles REALLY high. 1500-2000 rpm on idle.... and then when it chooses it will drop back down to 900, sometimes this takes 10 seconds, sometimes this takes several minutes, and others it never drops. Whilst it's in gear i don't have issues.

Second, at around 2500 rpm the motor chugs a little, as if i lifted off the throttle. Best described as a miss. Im unsure of the cause, but i have replaced my fuel filter, my air filter,, oil filter, oil, plugs, leads, afm and intake and the only 2 things left that i think are probable causes are my dizzy or timing, but im unsure.

Lastly, i seem to be losing oil from somewhere, its not the cam seal and its not the main rear seal, on the BP are there any other common leaks? Is it possible the motor is burning half to three quarters of its oil in 5,000 km? It doesn't smoke on start, or at high rpm.

Any insight into these issues would be greatly apreciated. Thanks guys.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Exodus323
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Exodus323
For the miss, I would say dizzy, does it do it under load as you pass through 2500 or if your holding it there?

The idle is a tricky one, it could be as simple as your battery is on its way out, this can cause that to happen/ electrical load. Intermittent vacume leak, heat dependent. Or even just a sticky butterfly on your inlet manifold.

Your engine doesn't need to smoke on start up or high rpm or it to be burning oil, before I went to a bpt my motor burned oil but didn't smoke,
Get a flask light have a good look, it could be leaking anywhere lol sorry not much help there.

Good luck
Old 25-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus323 View Post
For the miss, I would say dizzy, does it do it under load as you pass through 2500 or if your holding it there?
If i sit on throttle and hold it there it does it and if i pass through slowly (1/4 throttle or so) it does it, but if i have my foot flat to the floor i dont have the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus323 View Post
The idle is a tricky one, it could be as simple as your battery is on its way out, this can cause that to happen/ electrical load. Intermittent vacume leak, heat dependent. Or even just a sticky butterfly on your inlet manifold.
Carby cleaner into the throttle body then?
Old 25-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
last time i drove behind you, it was smoking like a chimmey. granted it hadn't been driven in a while. but unless you have had recent confirmation it doesn't blow, pretty sure it would be burning oil.

miss issue i would've said leads. but if replaced them, then check the other non replaced item/s. dissy and rotor are an easy check. they both are wearable items and you can quite easily see the wear upon inspection. last cap i replaced, the rotor and trimmed off 4mm of plastic inside the cap.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
last time i drove behind you, it was smoking like a chimmey. granted it hadn't been driven in a while. but unless you have had recent confirmation it doesn't blow, pretty sure it would be burning oil.

miss issue i would've said leads. but if replaced them, then check the other non replaced item/s. dissy and rotor are an easy check. they both are wearable items and you can quite easily see the wear upon inspection. last cap i replaced, the rotor and trimmed off 4mm of plastic inside the cap.
don't you remember the cruise? only smoke that was coming off it was from my brakes

Either way, yeah it hasn't smoked since i put it on the road.
Old 25-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Exodus323
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Exodus323
Yeah check your dizzy, rotor button, good next thing to check,
Keeping your throttle body clean is always good practice and it can't hurt.
Start there and move through a process of elimination.