Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
tzenlip

Car: Mazda 323 BJ
How to check timing belt?

recently bought this car(1999 protege323) from a private seller off carsales.

the car had done 110000KM, and i'm concern about the life of the timing belt, unable to contact the seller as he went oversea.doest have a service manual that i can look at

been trying to find the timing belt , but i supposed it is covered up inside , is it easy to open the cover to inspect the timing belt? or any alternative that i could use?

what i can see are alternator belt( new) and power steering belt.

how much on average they might cost me to change a timing belt for this car?I'm still hesitating to change or not because I've been spending too much on this car(audio , service and etc) !

some of my friends said they never change their cars' timing belt even they are on the 300 000kms or more ..
tzenlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
FOX33N
AstinaGT Regular

Car: a Car
Im Curious as to know that answer to that question as well!
Can anyone help?
FOX33N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Well, there's no real way of telling if you haven't got any service history. You've got to pull the cam cover off to take off the belt, and you wont really be able to tell just by looking at it.

Some mechanics write on the cam cover when the timing belt was done.
If there's a service sticker or workshop sticker on the car somewhere, that might give you someone to call.

The seller didn't list it saying it was done at 100000? 100k is the major service and is usually listed as a selling point.

Timing belts are wear and tear items, so if you can't find for sure that it has been changed then i'd be changing it. If you don't and it breaks then you're up for a lot more cost than changing it would be.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
tzenlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Well, there's no real way of telling if you haven't got any service history. You've got to pull the cam cover off to take off the belt, and you wont really be able to tell just by looking at it.

Some mechanics write on the cam cover when the timing belt was done.
If there's a service sticker or workshop sticker on the car somewhere, that might give you someone to call.

The seller didn't list it saying it was done at 100000? 100k is the major service and is usually listed as a selling point.

Timing belts are wear and tear items, so if you can't find for sure that it has been changed then i'd be changing it. If you don't and it breaks then you're up for a lot more cost than changing it would be.
thanks for the tips on looking for sticker, will look for it later.i cant just pull the cam cover off by hands right?cause they might be screwed with bolt?unfortunately i don't have any tools to do that yet..

I'm abit tight with my spending money right now, how much exactly it may cost?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
mike_d87
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina
There is no way to check whether a timing belt needs replacement. Well there is, usually lots of banging and then the engine stops. I can't imagine it costing too much, nothing too complicated. Any garage can do it, just ring around for prices.
mike_d87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
If concerned about it, just get it replaced. Normally a cost of $220-$250.

Mine is 249,000km old.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
andrewck

Car: Ford Focus LV XR5
If its done 110,000 km then its due for a service so allow $350 for the service and belt change also you may find it wise to do a water pump change while they have the belt off or ask the mechanic to check the pump for leaks
andrewck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
rambo

Car: Bj Protege 323
If your going to do it have about $400 to $450 ready, and have everything there replaced at once. Timing belt, water pump, cam + crank seals, accessory belts, tensioner etc.

But I was under the impression that these engines were non-interference, meaning in the event of a timing belt failure no engine damage would be caused.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
tzenlip

thanks for all suggestions, hope the previous owner did not change if not it would be a waste to change.

$400-450 for that whole lot including belt, tentioner, water pump and etc isnt that expensive .. i thought it would cost me more than 400 to just change the timing belt
Old 09-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Red.Rocket

Car: 1990 Mazda 323 Astina SP
just a quick question...my mate suggested I change the timing belt when I first got my bg, but I've checked the service records and it said it has been changed when it was 167XXXKM...the car is now 185XXXKMs old...should I still worry about changing it?
Red.Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
andrewck

Car: Ford Focus LV XR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Rocket View Post
just a quick question...my mate suggested I change the timing belt when I first got my bg, but I've checked the service records and it said it has been changed when it was 167XXXKM...the car is now 185XXXKMs old...should I still worry about changing it?
Nope and it sounds like it was either done late or it broke
andrewck is offline   Reply With Quote