Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 03-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
sherrif

Car: Mazda Astina SP20
Question BJII SP20 Engine Shudder On Start Up

Hiya Guys & Girls

I have an intermittent problem with my 2001 Mazda 323 SP20 (BJII) 2.0L Manual Hatch.

Once every Blue Moon the car 'shudders' violently for a split second on a cold start ie: first start for the day. I have taken it back to Mazda and of course they can't fault it. They have checked for intermittently running rough on start up and have tested the engine computer with NO fault evident. They have also checked over the Ignition System & EFI System but are still unable to fault the symptoms that I have reported.

Now has anyone out there had this type of problem or are they experiencing this type of problem currently? According to City Mazda in Melbourne I am the only one that has reported this type of fault to them.

I've been racking my brains on what it could be, sensor problem, fuel problem, electrical problem etc... I went and spoke to a mechanic that I once use to see with my last car and he reakons it could be a leaking fuel injector. He has also advised that I speak with Mazda Australia which I have just done via email explaining the problem that I'm having.

Can any of you please advise on what might be the problem here???
Ozeparts Clear Front Indicators.
Lovell Sport Lows Springs.
Whiteline Rear Adjustable Sway Bar.
Whiteline Rear Universal Link Kit.
Whiteline Front Strut Brace.
sherrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Mazda are fuggin useless, they are the only institution I know that does not know WTF they are selling...! Anyhow, I can think of two things which if not correctly fitted can cause a symptom like that:

1. The r/h side ignition lead to the coil pack. Car will run like shiz if it's not plugged in.
2. The TPS idle sensor thingy on the TB. Disconnect that and your car will plumet in revs.

Ofcourse, these are not unplugged. But if either or anything has an intermittent problem, this could happen...

Cheers,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
ezin
AstinaGT Regular

The coils are under a lot of load when the car is started, My number 2-3 coil melted and half exploded in my sp20, the vibration/shudder from the engine was bad, One of ur coils may be about to bite the bullet. I replaced both of mine and god dam does it run better and smother than it ever has.

Last edited by ezin; 05-04-2006 at 05:37 PM.
ezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
55SIC

Mine does that but very rarely
Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Mine also does that, but only rarely. It seems to depend on how I've actually shut down the engine. If I've been in a hurry and shut it down without letting the engine get down to idle, let it sit for a little and then tried to start up it happens sometimes. I'm guessing it may be because of excess fuel in one or more of the cylinders

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
55SIC

Thats is what i was thinking aswell.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
sherrif

Mazda rang me back after sending the email to them. The bloke I spoke with said that it would be best for me to take the car back to City Mazda and leave it with them for a day or so. When asked whether they have a 'courtesy car' for me to have whilst they look at my car the answer was they weren't sure! So much for Customer Service! What's the point of a Customer Service Department when they can't even tell you what their policy is on loan cars? Load of Bu$$sh#t if you ask me, Chicaboo was right, Mazda are fuggin useless!

Just by asking a simple question you guy's have given me more info than bl##dy Mazda, they couldn't even tell me what they thought could be the problem. Thanx for the feedback guy's much appreciated!

Question for ezin: Where are these coils that you speak of please. Could you tell me where under the bonnett they are?

Cheers guys

The Sherrif
Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Both coil packs sit directly on top of the engine. You need to remove the black cover to get to them...

I forget where this engine bay pic came from as its not mine, I think it must be the one area I haven't taken photo's of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine bay.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	76  

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
sherrif

Exclamation Fixed the Problem!

Finally fixed the problem with the 'shudder on start up'.

I dumped the Penrite Oil I was running and replaced it with a Full Synthetic 10W30 oil, problem solved!

So after all that ringing around and reading your pm's I decided to change the oil and see what would happen, BINGO problem solved! Thanx to everyone who helped out here. My advice would be to stick with the recommended oils mentioned in your owners manual and not that of the bloke down at your local automotive parts supplier.
Old 22-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
That's good news bro, strange, but good news.

BTW: Get the Madnaflow Street Series, as one of the SPOS20 guys has been having problems with rattles. And they reckon the Magnaflow is not much louder, with better tone.

Cheers,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
kthl
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 350Z
Magnaflow street series = nice tone indeed

| kthl | EXE Crew |
kthl is offline   Reply With Quote