Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 22-10-2007, 12:48 AM   #21
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BA '97 Astina
Can he cast magic missile into the darkness?
Old 24-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #22
323Racer

Car: 97 323 astina
im getting aset of rims and wheels fitted on thursday...the rims are 17 inch mangels driver...i think its from the uk coz i only saw sites forom uk on it and the tyres are silverstone evo 8....205/40/17....cant wait !!!!...will be posting pics as soon as i find out how
323Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
323Racer

hey guys thinking about getting a pod filter....just wondering if i have to modify anything else to adjust with the pod filter....like the "flow meter"....looking at the apexi pod filter atm and then will be doing cat back exhaust 2 1/4 inch....
Old 31-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #24
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Okay, firstly,to get a car to go you must make it breathe....therefore a pod filter is the go, get one that is reusable and can be cleaned, this way youll never buy another one agian...K&N is a usual preference...youll need an adapter to the AFM (air flow meter) which can be purchased for around $20, that usually does the intake side of things, next you want the bad gases out so a bigger exhaust is next, 2.25 inch is good for an N/A engine....once you make the car breathe better it will haul a bit more....you want the good gases in and the bad gases out, more air plus more fuel plus a bigger spark plus a big passage to escape is what you want....

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 AM   #25
323Racer

kool....but if i get a filter that allows more airflow then wont it affect the AFM ....or does the adaptor take care of that? its juss a piece of metal that connects the filter in isnt it?....coz some guy told me mazda's AFM is really sensative....and i heard about staibnless steel filters....wats so gd abt them??
Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 AM   #26
323Racer

Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #27
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
P plates. Good to see, I miss mine. I love the full licence but miss the plates. I felt like i was always in the spot light with those and every time i did something cool everyone saw it.

Back to the topic, the ECU should sort itself out in about a week. If you like you can just reset the ECU by disconnecting the -(ve) on your battery for a few minutes and let it tune itself from scratch with the new setup and you will be fine.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #28
323Racer

ok kool....i'll give dat a try ..thanx dude
Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #29
323Racer

ok went to repco and they have a K&N panel filter....n i think i shoud go for the panel instead of the pod but it seems like the panel is less of a hassle coz i have to get an adapter and hosing for the pod....what do you guys think...is panel better or pod??
Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #30
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

A lot of people get a better panel filter, and then do air con/ silicone hosing from the air box down to the front of the left foglight space (after resonator removal). Search up CAI (cold air induction).

The difference between a CAI panel and a engine bay pod (from what i gather) probably isn't huge, especially for a n/a car. Also an open pod i.e. not in a box (which seems a little counter productive + being in the engine bay) is also a defectable item by the police, the shiny chrome piping will give that away, in the case of the silicone piping from autobarn or the like, black will make it look stock, or you can get blue or red if you feel fashionable.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #31
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
i use a panel filter.. as p platers if we get seen with a pod we can face fines and such.. panel filter with some black silicon piping for the CAF looks stealth.. ive also got myself a catback exhaust too..nice car mate
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #32
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
i use a panel coz im lazy and its easier. mind you i haven't had time to do a proper CAI to get the full benefit

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #33
323Racer

well i thought i should go with the K&N panel coz its in an enclosed box so it seals off any hot air from the engine bay and plus i dont have to do any hosing and unscrewing ....but then i looked up in the K&N site and it had a 57i kit which is a pod and hosing...and it said the advantage of the pod is that it can get more air than the panel because of the limited amount of air the box can recieve where as the pod can get air from all around but whcih also means it gets the hot air from the engine bay aswell ....but dam does the pod look cool haha....and we dont get fined here in Perth...air filters are legal........but then again as you said pod n filter doesnt make much of a difference in an n/a car.....but if either can add juss that lil bit more hp to my car than the other...then i would go for..its just a matter of finding out i guess
Old 03-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #34
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
whoever told you that a pod filter wouldnt be worth it in an N/A car is a Dumbass....breathing in an N/A vehicle is parmount and an enclosed pod filter is the way to go, especially with a direct air feed....have a look at my readers ride....i have an enclosed 57i kit with stainless steel and my cold air feed is coming directly from the bumper... trust me...youll notice the difference....

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/

Last edited by zappy65; 03-11-2007 at 05:45 PM.
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #35
323Racer

[IMG]http://photos-600.friendster.com/e1/...223847614m.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://photos-600.friendster.com/e1/...674717534m.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://photos-600.friendster.com/e1/...133658724l.jpg[/IMG]

i want to put in a CAI hose through the front bumper where i think the spotlights go...but there seems to be a metal piece of some sort blocking it....any help?? i got the idea from one of the other guys ....
Old 08-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #36
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

In an ideal situation, you'd have a pod with a massive direct air feed to the front of the car, ala Team B3Motorsports front left bumper cone thingy .
A bit too intrusive on the bumper for my daily driver.

My comparison was between a direct cold air feed up to a panel, compared to an engine bay pod (which sucks in hot engine bay air).

Personally, I didn't want to spend the money on a pod filter i.e. cheap piping, and I didn't want to have something defectable (open air pod - couldn't be bothered cutting pieces out of my bumper), and I wanted to look as stock as possible with gains for minimal effort.

Infact my piping is fitted behind that metal thing in your pictures which is sort of blocking it. I did consider just cutting a little piece out of the plastic bumper though. Didn't want too much rain or dust to have a line of sight to the opening (might have cancelled out part of the ram effect though).
Old 08-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #37
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
that cone is only on my car for drag racing - i regularly see 2psi manifold pressure from it at over 120kph. free power!
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #38
Smikey
AstinaGT Regular

mmmm ram effect *drool*
Old 08-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #39
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege View Post
that cone is only on my car for drag racing - i regularly see 2psi manifold pressure from it at over 120kph. free power!
2psi! I like that!

How did you measure that? Magnehelic gauge, boost gauge or...?

Is it a sealed pipe ie enclosed pod with ram air pipe connection? I've got an Injen intake and am looking at a more discreet version that can be disconnected for wet weather. Might be difficult with my smaller (1.8) bumper.

Last edited by Sleepy Gonzalez; 08-11-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #40
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Gonzalez View Post
...I've got an Injen intake and am looking at a more discreet version that can be disconnected for wet weather. Might be difficult with my smaller (1.8) bumper.
As I've posted before: the stock intake setup with a panel filter, and removing the entire grill gives you more power than you will ever get from a CAI. The entire mouth of the grill channels air into the stock air intake very well indeed. You can't measure this on a dyno, but the real world effects over a CAI are as noticeable as going from completely stock to CAI again. It looks sorta tough in a ghetto way too, but for the sake of drags, it's probably the single easiest way to get good ram air without chopping up your car...

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote