Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 22-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Pork Chop Express

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Hatch
To CAI or not CAI

I know I've been flooding the forums with help about the CAI.. I really appreciate it. The reason I keep asking Qs is because I'm a noob, and I have astinagt telling me one thing, while my rev head friends tell me another. They don't know anything about Mazda's which is why I rely on you guys..

Is a CAI a worthwhile mod? I don't have intention of upgrading my exhaust or anything else like that. I just want my car to operate in normal conditions, as it operates at 3am in the morning when the air is crisp and cold.

My rev head friends tell me my car will be more fuel efficient with a CAI... I've also read that I will be burning more fuel to compensate for the additional oxygen intake.....

Alternatively, is there anything I can do to make the car more responsive? I don't need to go faster, I just want more acceleration (I don't want to start chopping panels off the car either)....

Thanks
Old 22-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
change your exhaust 1st... you can only get as much air into the engine as you can get out. not worth it without a modified exhaust.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 01:45 AM   #3
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
CAI

i was similar 2 u i think,like i didnt want to do anything really realy drastic (even exhaust) so i did a pod+cai (k&n 57i) earlier this year and it was the best! acceleration response is much better, the sound is awesome! and it is more fuel efficient. (like i always reset the km meter thingy ever time i fill up and i noticed a difference from like 450km or so to 550 or something, once i almost got to 600 haha). i'd say its well worth doing, but u gotta be cautious when driving in wet weather-if any water goes up there (from a puddle etc) and manages to seep in past the filter then like ur engine is like totally screwed... but since it never seems to rain in sydney anymore i didnt think it would realy matter hahaha. just like dont take ur car to car washes and careful in the rain etc....

as far as exhaust is concerned, everyone will prob tell u to change it 1st (like deejay) but like if u cant be bothered mucking around with it or paying someone to do it CAI is much cheaper/easier.

what sort of filter setup do u have? (panel/pod). if its a panel i'd also recommend getting a k&n panel for it..i heard that makes a difference (compared to stock panel)
Old 23-11-2006, 03:54 AM   #4
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
If you are going for a totally ducted and sheilded CAI setup I wouldn't go out and buy a K&N, there are plenty of quality pods on the market that work just as well and will last
I would only buy K&N if modding my stock airbox and going with a panel filter
Remember at times (especially these days) you are only paying for a Name
A CAI is only worthwhile if you are receiving cold air from outside the engine bay, if its not ducted and or sheilded you will lose power as you will pulling some serious heat through the intake
Plan it correctly and you will be fine, just dont pop an open pod in your engine bay PLEEEEEEASEE
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
Pork Chop Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAztinA 323

what sort of filter setup do u have? (panel/pod). if its a panel i'd also recommend getting a k&n panel for it..i heard that makes a difference (compared to stock panel)

I was looking at the panel as a cheaper option, but the 57i is not that much more. I want a CAI setup - I have been looking around but there are no kits for my Mazda. Does anyone have any picks of the 57i in their BA? (AGAIN) my rev head friend told me not to get the 57i because it was too short, ie. sucking in hot air, not cold air.... so it's not a cai.....

As such, I am just thinking of taking my car to an exhaust shop and see if they can make some piping... I'll probably pick up a pod from Autoburn for them. Anyone have any idea what diametre pipe I should be getting?

Also, is there anything mechanical that can be done to minimise water damage? (other than avoid puddles - Melbourne weather is unpredictable and can rain in a moments notice).

Thanks
Old 23-11-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
i think you're confusing a CAI with an Intake

CAI only ducts air to a filter. An Intake is what goes from filter to throttle body.

It sounds liek you want a shiny intake wth a pod, and some cold air ducting to that pod. As i said - 2 separate things.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
Pork Chop Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht
i think you're confusing a CAI with an Intake

CAI only ducts air to a filter. An Intake is what goes from filter to throttle body.

It sounds liek you want a shiny intake wth a pod, and some cold air ducting to that pod. As i said - 2 separate things.
Ahh yes indeed.. I apologise for my wording... I am after an intake with pod. I can mentally visualise what I'm after. I (sorta) know the theories behind what I visualise, but just don't know the correct lingo...