Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Introduce yourself

Old 29-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
almicop

Car: Honda
Smile 94' BA Astina Hatch

Thought I'd introduce myself and my latest car, I'm currently on a break from studying so working on the Astina has pretty much become my main hobby. I've previously owned a BG S2 Sedan and a KJ Liata, also 2 AE92 Corollas and an early 90's Honda Accord which I recently sold ( ) to save some $$ on fuel. Always used AstinaGT and Fordlaser.com in the past for help but never bothered posting much so here goes:

Picked up a Manual 1994 BA Series 1 Astina from a young girl near the City. She'd just bought a new CRV and was selling this car for well under what it was worth. I ended up offering $1100 and she happily accepted. Had around 204,000kms on the clock, a broken drivers seat and main power window switch, loose/peeling steering wheel grip, one headlight blown, ticking like crazy, 1 blown speaker and the hotdog muffler at the rear had rusted through completely. It was due for a timing belt replacement and also had a minor frontal collison directly in the centre that had cracked the bumper and bent the radiator mount. That had all been repaired (with a hammer at home) enough that it wasn't noticable. Other than that the car was in great condition as far as the body/interior/electrics/mechanicals.

Here it is today:

All the issues with the car have been fixed with cheap replacements from U-Pull-It. With the costs of repairs included I probably paid around $1400 in total for this car so I'm incredibly happy. I've brought it up to 212,000kms in the last 4 months and I've modified and added a lot of new things. I'm yet to do the timing belt/water pump but I'm not overly concerned.

I've installed a Rapid Electronics alarm/central locking kit, replaced the radiator after it started to leak, replaced spark plugs/leads, air filter and I'm looking at replacing the incredibly floppy gear shift at the moment.

Cruise Control has been installed on the car, I can do a write-up on this if anyone is interested. Cost me around $280 and 6 hours to complete. It's completely functional, just took a long time to make the adjustments.

I've also installed a 6000k HID kit from Jaycar. I've modified the reflectors/cutoff also to create more of a flat cutoff by using a dremel. The Dash lights have been replaced with white LED's, it creates a much brighter and cleaner looking dash. Bluetooth headunit has also been installed, kept the stock speakers and added an underseat Fusion subwoofer on the passenger side:

I also managed to install cupholders into the dash by removing some from a KJ laser. It was relatively simple to do and looks clean and functions well enough:

Let me know if you want me to do a writeup on any of the mods/repairs I've done. I'll most likely complete many more modifications in my remaining time off, I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for reading!

Alex
almicop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 30-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Welcome to AGT

BG Astina steering wheel?

And I just picked up another BA Astina with the same cruise control - is there a triagularish box under the bonnet that the cable runs to?

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
those climate controls dont look 94 model.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
almicop

Yep, actually BG sedan wheel. I looked around for ages for a decent condition BA wheel with no luck so settled for this one.

Um the cruise servo is a rectangular box, it's a Rostra Universal Cruise Control kit that I bought from the US. I've seen the same one installed in a BA Protege at U Pull it, shame theres not an easily accessible factory kit.

Climate control unit was replaced, the lights in the original one were all not working to the point that I couldn't see what I was doing at night so grabbed a newer one off another Astina! Much happier now, though I don't like how this one has no 'memory' of the climate settings after the car is turned on and off.
Old 31-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
I have a good condition BA wheel I think, if interested let me know
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by almicop View Post
Climate control unit was replaced, the lights in the original one were all not working to the point that I couldn't see what I was doing at night so grabbed a newer one off another Astina! Much happier now, though I don't like how this one has no 'memory' of the climate settings after the car is turned on and off.
You need to set up a constant 12V+ feed and/or earth also (much like a stereo hu. Cos the earlier models didn't have them. Which you know the differences in the style of buttons as you've had both in front of you. New models ie P3s which the unit came out of do retain the settings.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 31-10-2013 at 07:05 AM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Welcome

Nice little addition cruise control. My C'dore I have shelved for repairs has it & I miss it. Neither my wife's C'dore or my car have it *sigh* If the gearboxes were the same from VT to VY, I'd just do a swap. I know the ECU is configured with higher kw output on the VY. Would this effect CC operation?

Excuse me for my ignorance, with an auto @ least, I thought the ECU had to recognise the CC module? Kinda have input data already? You couldn't just swap them?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 31-10-2013 at 07:50 AM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
almicop

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
You need to set up a constant 12V+ feed and/or earth also (much like a stereo hu. Cos the earlier models didn't have them. Which you know the differences in the style of buttons as you've had both in front of you. New models ie P3s which the unit came out of do retain the settings.
So if I put a constant 12V to the climate control unit, that'll fix my issue? I'll have to look into that. Would save some frustration for me.
Old 31-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
almicop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Welcome

Nice little addition cruise control. My C'dore I have shelved for repairs has it & I miss it. Neither my wife's C'dore or my car have it *sigh* If the gearboxes were the same from VT to VY, I'd just do a swap. I know the ECU is configured with higher kw output on the VY. Would this effect CC operation?

Excuse me for my ignorance, with an auto @ least, I thought the ECU had to recognise the CC module? Kinda have input data already? You couldn't just swap them?
I'm no expert on CC but I'm fairly sure the extra kW would have a slight effect on the sensitivity of the system. There were a bunch of settings that had to be changed on the module I have in relation to the throttle sensitivity and engine power and cable slack etc, and I assume any other cruise control system would have the same thing. It's possible if you swapped it that it would struggle to hold speed or make adjustments in accordance with engine load/road conditions. I don't know about a factory CC system being moved around from vehicle to vehicle but the kit I bought simply needed the Vehicle Speed signal, brake switch, clutch switch and a tacho wire, no need for the ECU to recognise.

Oh and I'm satisfied with the BG wheel for now, I prefer the grainy material used on the older wheels. Thanks though