Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Red face Project probs due to Infini Gearbox shafts

Well, did a deal for some mean GTR gear to be sent down from Sydney early next week. Hopefully arriving before the weekend. Engine, VJ23, custom dump, down & turbo-back exhaust, G-series LSD box, ECU/AFM, custom loom, FMIC & custom pipework (prolly mod further), some other guages & RR reg etc. Engine has had it's timing belt, waterpump etc done. Will be built as a FWD.

Spent a few days deciding what to put it in? Looked @ 2 KE TX3's but they were crap. Drove for hours only to be BS'd to. Got back home to find a little number on the Bay! All original 93' KE2 Wagon. Basically a KE that they didn't sell here. This one was brought over from Tasmania, being originally imported from Japan. Original paint. Rust free. Has a dent on drivers side rear quarter & above wheel arch. 300k mileage & motor still runs well haha. Anyway, means nothing as I have a little number, a BPD complete with all gear to almost get up & running with some basic hard yacka. Few other bits to I'll mention as I go. 950kgs with BPD

I've bought the gear. I've paid a deposit on the wagon & will be getting a permit tomorrow & will be picking it up on Tuesday. So, hopefully I'll have both the car & the performance gear here by week's end.

I nthen need to spend a few weeks getting my Commodore repaired to sell. Sell it then, start on this lil' beasty!

Here's a few pics of the wagon:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a good week all

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 16-12-2013 at 06:57 AM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Evilist

Car: Mazda 323
niiice dude! will be mint when your finished

1985 Mazda 323 BF5P - FE3T powered
1988 Mazda Familia BFMP XG-I FE3 Powered
Evilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilist View Post
niiice dude! will be mint when your finished
Thanks man I did consider the FE3 but this GTR gear was there & I didn't wanna get stuck with too big a time with conversion. My spare time is pretty limited & I'll be trying to get it @ least mechanically on the road before re-rego is due on the Soobi (about 10 months). I know that's a while but, time flies & well, maybe it'll be running sooner? This will be my daily & the Sooby stored for a few years. By the time it goes off the road, it will need it's timing belt etc done. Don't wanna rush that & may do a few bits while I'm at it. This is where the wagon will come in handy as a daily. That's the plan @ this stage anyway.

Will prolly use the guages I bought for the Sooby. Esp the WB sensor to see how it all fares before a tune.

Again, thanks for the inspiration

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
That is a Find and a half.

Love the original interior. - brings back the old days. even though I know it has no support. But I'd love to see this all stock and a BPT running gear, full stock look, then just eat bastards all over the place. You put granny stickers on it and park it at the bowling club. LOL
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
NaughtyGT

Then imagine the BPD Rod. It's gonna piss alot of wouldbies off haha. Will be hard to leave the front bar unmodified though for the FMIC airflow etc. I am looking @ a set of GTR seats. Their only fair but cheap & are on KE rails so, very tempting......

I need to source an EFI tank & lines. Prolly TX3 instrument cluster & maybe cabin loom. I have the engine loom taken care of @ least

Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
rodhog

hmm so true. **** anything decent. I'd be on a FE DOHC or F2T just for fun but anything with decent poke will wake it up.
I'd use a water to air intercooler. keep that front bar clean as. hell stock BP and NOS - Yeah. ah anything really is possible but I'd just love to see the look of some dude in a Type R or a WRX or even Sv6 or something you know some smart arse thinking at the light I'll just smash this and he looks over and your either pacing him with his foot to floor and then you pull LOL.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
NaughtyGT

I'm getting sent up from Sydney along with engine/box/exhaust, a full set of 5 stud BA brakes/calipers. apparently, their same as GTR spec. I'll need kf strut bottoms for the conversion, with KE tops fitted. Their not cheap & fact that calipers are needing rebuild is a bit of a bugger! At least I will have better assort' of wheels to use with these. Hoping the B6T driveshafts will fit? Splines I believe are the same? Hope so.....

Also, looking @ a KE TX3 as a donor.

Things I need off TX3 for conversion:

EFI fuel tank & lines etc, interior
Cabin loom? Dash cluster etc? to wire up GTR engine harness?

Things I would like from TX3:

Front TX3 4 light headlight set up (headlight brackets/cradle are comp' different than KE), you can't just change out the headlights/surround unfortunately
Full interior

Need to negotiate on asdking price though.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
NaughtyGT

Well. Picked up the TX3 I mentioned earlier. Will take some snaps tomorrow. Shame really to rip it up. All the turbo gear I have coming was picked up & hopefully will be here by Friday Decided not to get the brakes just now. Need to save some more first.

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 05-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
rodhog

"I love it when a Plan comes together "
Old 06-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
NaughtyGT

Won't bother with TX3 interior other than maybe using front seats, just for bit more comfort & just put some decent seat covers. Don't wanna bitsa as with the back, I'd only be able to use the rear seat/s. Maybe spruce up the door panels later down the track just to break up the never ending blue? There a bit plain.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
ghetto3

Car: 97 ba 1.8 323
A little bit of inspiration and BAMM!!!
Love the build plan mate.
ghetto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
dam u tim.... i have been wanting to do a wagon project for years but just havent found the right car this is going to be a little rocket haha

how are you going to register amd mod plate that thing??? wouldnt a BPD be to powerfull for the chase to handle???

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
NaughtyGT

Have ya considered a GV? 92'-94' 626 wagon Mat? Guy on MX6.com years back had a nice 2.2L (I think) turbo conversion. Really noice!

As far as declaring engine & running gear. I'll prolly just have to declare it as any 1.8L turbo conversion. That way it'll satisfy VIC ADR legislation etc. We don't have mod plates as such down here like Qld. I know a panel beater just near work who works really cheap. Not cheap work. He's just semi retired & does work from home. Welded up a halfcut for me a few years back that I sold on so he knows his stuff. Will prolly approach the same Engineer I had spoken with when I was doing the ol' Merc. Ask him what he wants done. I won't be hammering it everywhere Mat but, I know, still have to satisfy em.

I know they require HD brake & suspension upgrades for sure. Wheels next I guess. Then yeah, chassis rails etc. Not sure @ this stage? Might see if I can contact him on Friday & get an idea. Good question though! I would imagine a bit of plate steel welded onto boxing etc? Can't say I've gone that far as yet. Just happy I snagged the KE TX3 yesterday. Didn't wanna be running to & fro from wreckers every time I needed something. Sure was fun driving the TX3 back. Broken engine mount (clunk/bang every gear change) Spring off left hand front side so, every bad depression in road made me swerve. Roundabouts were good Sh1t brakes. Clutch ready to jam next few months I reckon or one last blast hehe That's what you get when you deal with a girl teen selling her car the BF had worked on haha..........late meeting me there, no call when they didn't show up the first time I looked @ it. Pulling fuel pump out, to check wires when it was actually outta fuel Flat battery. Hour later, I hed home hehe. gard ya gotta luvem...........

Really going to enjoy this build. Now I'm over the Mercus fiasco!

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 06-11-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
what tx3 did u get?? NA or turbo??

should just swap the tx3 brake over to the wagon hey.. they will be better. just need some good dics and pads.. could do a v6 astina swap but u will need struts from a ba to do it.. i did have the list of parts required written down somewhere for the v6 brake conversion.. hmm wonder where i put it..

anyway i have a bpt loom here from a astina if u need it..

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
what tx3 did u get?? NA or turbo??

should just swap the tx3 brake over to the wagon hey.. they will be better. just need some good dics and pads.. could do a v6 astina swap but u will need struts from a ba to do it.. i did have the list of parts required written down somewhere for the v6 brake conversion.. hmm wonder where i put it..

anyway i have a bpt loom here from a astina if u need it..
It's an NA Mat. Not sure if the NA brakes are same as the GT/GTX type? Especially the BG? I'd expect the engineer to want @ least BG brakes, if the BF GTX/KE TX3 brakes are smaller? That's why I looked at the Astina brakes yesterday. I read if you use the BA brakes/calipers. You also need kf etc strut bottoms for the conversion with the KE tops fitted? These I think would be better for the engineer?

Is that the cabin loom Mat you have? I have the GTR engine loom coming with the engine & it's wired into a GTX loom already. Is the TX3 NA cabin loom the same as the BPT/GTX? I was hoping to use the one off this TX3 donor?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
It's an NA Mat. Not sure if the NA brakes are same as the GT/GTX type? Especially the BG? I'd expect the engineer to want @ least BG brakes, if the BF GTX/KE TX3 brakes are smaller? That's why I looked at the Astina brakes yesterday. I read if you use the BA brakes/calipers. You also need kf etc strut bottoms for the conversion with the KE tops fitted? These I think would be better for the engineer?

Is that the cabin loom Mat you have? I have the GTR engine loom coming with the engine & it's wired into a GTX loom already. Is the TX3 NA cabin loom the same as the BPT/GTX? I was hoping to use the one off this TX3 donor?
na its a engine loom mate..

GTR and GTX looms are basically the same.. the GTR loom just has more wires for the extra's that come with the GTR. U can run a GTR managment on a gtx loom.

the interior looms are the same as far as im aware.

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
na its a engine loom mate..

GTR and GTX looms are basically the same.. the GTR loom just has more wires for the extra's that come with the GTR. U can run a GTR managment on a gtx loom.

the interior looms are the same as far as im aware.
Thanks mat. Yeah, I will be using the GTR ECU/AFM etc. The engine llom coming has been retro-wired into a GTX engine loom. There's some small addition on the GTR looms that had to be wired in. Can't placewhat it is right now. Something to do with the injectors? I'll have a read tomorrow when I get a chance.

That's good about the cabin loom then I was hoping I could use the TX3 one for the swap. Was part of the reason I got it along with the EFi gear needed. Front light/bar set up. Wheels, if I don't use the 5 stud V6 ones?

Anything else I find I'll need along the way.

Thanks for the offer to grab the loom off you. I wouldv'e in a heart beat bought it off you if I didn;t have one sorted.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
NaughtyGT

Here's some pics of the 2 before the slaughter begins Had to resize them all as they were huge from camera........

In their stables for now

The Soobi haha (was getting jealous of all the attention)

Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
NaughtyGT

Fark! Can't believe the TX3 hasn't P/Steering? At least the wagon does Had to laugh, it's covered 303k & the timing belt was changed @ 300086k. Has the sticker on it dated 02/12 as the change date. So, it's travelled 3k since change haha.

Anyone want a carb 1.6. Never mind the darkish oil colour & baked on crap under oil filler cap. That just adds to it's character I'll start it @ .99c Still runs quiet (unbelieveably) but, bit slow. Have to stay in 1st for nearly 10secs till ya dare to change into 2nd. Clutch is I would say er,,,,99% stuffed

Funny, the wagon has P/S, TX3 doesn't yet, TX3 has A/C & the wagon doesn't hehe........this has been fun to lookat!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE RALLY ART sticker lol

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015