Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 06-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Joczy

Car: .
Replacing Brake Light on Right side

Hey guys,

The back brake light on my Hardtop (right hand side) has blown and im having a bit of trouble changing it. I searched the forums and found another thread with a similar question.

Quote:
I've just noticed that my left brake light is blown (taillight still fine) and I have to replace it. I just tried to have a look at what the globe is like and realised getting to the globe isnt as simple as I had hoped..... there is no "hatch" in the boot to access the globes, so before I take apart more of the car than needed, I was wondering whats the proper way to replace the globe?

I tried taking the taillight assembly out, undoing the two screws on the inner side of the light, but this didnt release it. Where else is it fastened?
I had already taken those screws off too and like this guy noticed i couldnt release it. then there was a reply from Rupe saying the plastic plugs on the inside are holding it on and another person replied u just have to pull the cover off.

Even after we did this, the cover still didnt budge and almost seemed like the forced needed to pull it off would brake the cover in 2. Im not sure if this is just beacuse the cover has not been off in a long time?
Just wanted to see if i was on the right path before I try to wedge it off any further haha

Thanks in advance.
Rach

Last edited by Joczy; 06-09-2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: missed a bit
Joczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
There's a couple of screws near the boot seal, and 2 metal nuts in the back/inside the boot from memory.

But they do need a good tug to get them out as they're held in with pressure plugs. Pull from the bottom and you should be right.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Joczy

Car: .
thank you so much! all done =)
Joczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Tom
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty 2.5i
gee im totally excited for when mine will finally blow.. haha.. sigh.. why are hardtops so fiddly!