Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 13-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
afx31

Car: Mazda 323 Sp20 (2001)
Will's SP20 2.0

Hey all, once upon a time I had a SP20 for daily and sold it to buy my way into the race car track life, but eventually I required a daily as the race car didn't wanna see the road for everyday use no more, so I knew the perfect daily was returning to my grass roots of the SP20's.

I purchased a black SP20 this time (silver for my first one) with the goal of making it a cool cruiser daily eventually, obviously stealthing everything out. I'll post a few pics of it now and will post more in the future with updates of the car, enjoy!

Last edited by afx31; 13-06-2017 at 08:55 PM.
afx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
afx31

First "mod" up was the good old coilovers, and you can never go wrong with Yellow Speeds.. dropped the car to a legal 100mm on the dot off the ground. Front and back eBay spec weather shields were installed as well. I also picked up a open faced grill which over the next few weeks, I'll hopefully sand it down and paint it black!

now onto more concerning matters.. clutch pedal started getting a lil squeeky past few days so under the dash I went tonight to grease her up, to then find my clutch pedal is completely rusted.. then recalled on my mate warning me about the chassis cracking under the crowl, off I went for the hose to test if it leaks and boy she leaks.. rather disappointing as there are one or two other issues with car (which I'll explain later), but oh well, I simply just get over it and work to fix it

Old 17-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
afx31

****UPDATE****

Today I swapped in some new coil packs in hope to get rid of a certain pinging noise I've had since purchasing the car, on acceleration around 3k+ rpm. Thought was they were stuffed, causing no/poor spark and not igniting the fuel, resulting in pinging. However upon doing so didn't change. I was put in a new EVAP Purge Solenoid as I had a code for the other, as it was not working, no resistance on it. Now the new one works (code still stays, eh) but this pinging noise remains.

We thought maybe the knock sensor isn't working as if this noise was 'knock/detonation' it should retard timing and what not to protect the motor, yet when I drive it it drives fine, and fuel mileage is perfect. Unplugged the knock and on came a light so we knew it was working. So with it plugged in, it did nothing to correct knock, so that's lead us to believe this noise really isn't knock/detonation.

Tomorrow we will be having a look under the rocker cover to see if maybe noisy lifters or who knows.. hopefully something, I'd be happy if a valve was missing cause I'd know the problem :')
Old 17-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Nice pick up

When you say eBay weather shields know the link ? Might be interested, after something cheap.

Also what did the coil overs set up back ?
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
afx31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble323 View Post
Nice pick up

When you say eBay weather shields know the link ? Might be interested, after something cheap.

Also what did the coil overs set up back ?
For the window visors I just typed into ebay Mazda 323 SP20 window visors, or maybe chuck a 'jdm' in there somewhere and they should come up.. From America.. About $60-$80?

The yellow speeds were $1200 from MX-5 Mainia
Old 10-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
HMT

Car: '94 Astina hatch, '93 Astina, '94 NA8C Roadster, '96 MX-3 V6, '00 Astina 1.8
Wow that's a clean example. I wish you could find one like this in europe but unfortunately they rust away quicker that you can beleive. Looking forward to your updates!