Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 27-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #2221
RustyKaos

Car: 1998 BA 323 Astina Hardtop
Also be aware that nightshades uses a purple tint so your reverse lights will turn purple. I would also put a coat of clear on after it to protect it and to give it that shine as I found it to be quite dull or do as tony said.

Come challenge me. I dare ya.
RustyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #2222
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B tuned by STi
Okay thanks for the tips i'm only going to do the reverse/indicator area, enough to make it look dark but i'll stop when it affects the light output of the indicator. Reverse is pretty useless anyway so not too phased by the purple colouring. :P
Old 28-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #2223
Brisbane_boy

Car: 2002 323 astina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
Make sure that after you let it dry for a long time buff the fcuk out of it to give it a nice finish
lol, the old scuff and buff.

If your not allowed to go fast, you might as well look fast
Brisbane_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #2224
mkid

Car: BK 3 SP23
Send a message via MSN to mkid
guys i got two questions
i think the CVs in the BG are starting to go (slight knocking from front) so just wondering how much for new ones. but i will have a poke around as i took the wheels off yesterday
to check brake pads because im selling it

on that note i went to look at BA today its my cousians best mate and its in excellent condition however there is a crack in rear spoiler (only fault it had) how much do you think a new one would be if i buy it that is
cheerskane
mkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #2225
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
CVs will go clackety clack when turning when they are worn. If you're selling it's not worth touching them.
I think Rupewrecht and Sik Mick have rear spoilers for sale.
Old 30-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #2226
mkid

Car: BK 3 SP23
Send a message via MSN to mkid
cheers cosmo
front right wheel nuts were only finger tight so hopefully that was it
will test on the way to uni tomorrow
and i will check out what rupey has for sale
mkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #2227
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
question from me tonight... getting a massive service, the radiator is leaking/using fluid, came home after work saturday and noticed a big puddle of green leaking- so i went inside grumpy from a horrible day at work and went out later to find that no more had seemed to leak, hosed the bay down and added more liquid and revved and ran the car to try get it to leak.... nothing.. so i was like.. ok? what gives! so drove about 15kms and stopped for the night, checked it in the morning and it was low on the resivoir but no marks on the road etc from it dripping... drove to autobarn to get more coolant and didnt drop foro 24hrs after that. added more thismorning just incase and it was about the same level (it was dark when i was filling it so not 100% on original level) 12+ hrs later...

any ideas? hope its not goin into the engine, checked the oil while i was at it and no moisture/water was on the dipstick and engines running great.

another random question, one of my HID's is being intermittant, if it lights up itll work until i turn it off but has trouble starting and is fixed by turning off and on a few times quickly to get it to go (which I KNOW is BAD!) but i want 2 lights at night! when its warm it will start too... so, ballast or bulb. not a faulty connection because ive tried that and they are hardwired in. ordering another set anyway so ill get it fixed regardless

end of rant
Old 30-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #2228
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
If it's cycling it'd be bulb
That sucks cus my elcheapo ones from china are still good and strong for nearly 2 years now or more (have spare bulbs I bought a year ago but still haven't used them)
Old 30-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #2229
Clean_Cookie

oh well $43 shipped later ive got another kit coming in 4300 this time. curious in colour difference because 4300k is what we electricians call "cool white" and 3000k is "warm white" and cool white is pretty white in fluros etc so we shall see... otherwise ill put them in some foglights and buy another set of 6000's and a set of 3000's for them...
Old 30-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #2230
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
question from me tonight... getting a massive service, the radiator is leaking/using fluid, came home after work saturday and noticed a big puddle of green leaking- so i went inside grumpy from a horrible day at work and went out later to find that no more had seemed to leak, hosed the bay down and added more liquid and revved and ran the car to try get it to leak.... nothing.. so i was like.. ok? what gives! so drove about 15kms and stopped for the night, checked it in the morning and it was low on the resivoir but no marks on the road etc from it dripping... drove to autobarn to get more coolant and didnt drop foro 24hrs after that. added more thismorning just incase and it was about the same level (it was dark when i was filling it so not 100% on original level) 12+ hrs later...

any ideas? hope its not goin into the engine, checked the oil while i was at it and no moisture/water was on the dipstick and engines running great.
bro in law had the same problem in his ba recently. i couldn't located the leak anywhere, but it was loosing 500ml per week.

did a pressure test, attached pump to rad cap hole and pumped it. it blew a big hole out the front of one of the end tanks. couldn't see it by eye, but it had a hairline crack. and the pressure test exposed it.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #2231
Clean_Cookie

ahh thats good news! hope ive got the same problem - reason being id much rather a new radiator than it leaking into the engine!!! iinto the mechanics for the first time in 18+ months :P (just local dude who is really helpful and seemes to know his stuff...) too busy with work to fix all the stuff thats wrong with it now!
Old 31-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #2232
mynameisdaniel

Got a question for the SP20 owners on here,
I know a few of you run HID bulbs in your normal housings (without projectors) do our housings scatter light badly that'll blind oncoming traffic?
I know it's bad on some cars but there's no way i can justify fitting projectors to my headlights just to run HIDs.
Old 31-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #2233
RustyKaos

Car: 1998 BA 323 Astina Hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisdaniel View Post
Got a question for the SP20 owners on here,
I know a few of you run HID bulbs in your normal housings (without projectors) do our housings scatter light badly that'll blind oncoming traffic?
I know it's bad on some cars but there's no way i can justify fitting projectors to my headlights just to run HIDs.
Just be aware it is illegal to run HID's in a non projector housing (also found out that it needs to be cleaned with a water jet and self leveling but this area is pretty gray).

Come challenge me. I dare ya.
RustyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #2234
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Most cops leave it be, as long as its not too bright (higher K rating then 6000K) and the bulbs are projected at the ground, they will leave you alone..

Dan, you should be fine as I have found that the eyelids we have cut off most of the scatter up high, but you will still get a bit to the sides
Old 31-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #2235
Brisbane_boy

Car: 2002 323 astina
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
Most cops leave it be, as long as its not too brighthigher K rating then 6000K) ( and the bulbs are projected at the ground, they will leave you alone..

Dan, you should be fine as I have found that the eyelids we have cut off most of the scatter up high, but you will still get a bit to the sides
cops cant tell the difference between gold and silver, they got no hope in hell to determin this.

If your not allowed to go fast, you might as well look fast
Brisbane_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #2236
marcs_sp20

You can most certainly tell the difference - Go and stare at the lights of a Honda Accord Euro (8000k) and a 300C (10000K) and then go and have a look at a car with clear 6000K lights, you can tell the difference...

Ignorance is bliss it seems...
Old 31-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #2237
Flyblown

Car: 88 BF ss, Familia GTR ,KH laser sedan 1.6 4WD Auto
The K Stands for Degrees Kelvin it is a measure of the Colour temperature of the light. Standard Daylight on a sunny day at 12 noon is aproximately 5500K and your standard tungsten houselight bulb is about 3200K the higher the number the bluer the light is, The human eye is so good that it can actually adjust to the difference and balance out to a neutral white.
Flyblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #2238
mynameisdaniel

Ok thanks, i'll give it some thought, don't want to be that guy who dazzles everyone driving the other way. I've been running really blue halogens (the bluest i could find on eBay after three sets) the light output sucks but they look good
Haven't been told off for them yet so hopefully i'll get away with 6000K although 8000Ks are sexy :P
Old 31-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #2239
marcs_sp20

if you arent after HID's, buy yourself some decent bulbs

These prices are in pounds, and look Under Nth America > Protege5 > 02-03 for bulbs (for the SP20)

http://www.powerbulbs.com

Also, we have a discount coupon on here too!

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7713
Old 31-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #2240
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
Also just a little fact building on what fly said
The K rating is the light wavelength (colour) that would be given out by a black body heated to that temperature.
As well, the ammount of visible light reduces as the rating moves away from 5700K as that is what suns light is and what our eyes are made for. So with 8000k lights you will see less than with 4700K or 6000K
If you want brighter lights the. Use higher rated ballasts (55 rather than 35) but remember that a 35w HID will be giving out WAY more light than a 60w halogen (or even 100w but I can't remember exactly)
Hope this info helps