Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
st11x

Coolant boiling in overflow tank

Hi members,

About 3 weekends ago, I drove my BG SP from Canberra to Kiama. When I reached Kiama, I heard low bubbling noises from the hot engine after I have turned off the ignition key. At first, I thought it was the sound of the engine cooling off (some engines make noise when they start to cool off I think ... at least my old bike did).

Then when I got back, I realised that the coolant in the reserved tank is almost dry. I had topped it up to full just before the trip!

I flushed the radiator and added a pre-mixed bottle from Valvoline. It think the top temperature is 127 degrees. During a hot evening, coupled with a traffic snarl in Canberra the same thing happened.

What I notice is that if I drive in a low gear (both times I had to use a low gear very often), the coolant in the reserve bottle will boil. Yesterday I had to drive in a low gear for quite some time looking for a car park at the Royal Canberra Show, and the temperatur guage went slightly above the middle mark. That's the first time it had cross the mark, and I just know that the coolant will be boiling. It did.

Any idea what's causing it? I suspected the fan isn't working, but when I turn the ignition key off and on again, I could hear the fan going. Are there 2 fans one of which is not the radiator fan? This couldn't be normal isn't it?

I'm a little apprehensive about taking it to Sydney and getting caught in the jam. I'm afraid it will "explode"!

Thanks
Matt
st11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links