Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 25-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
mazdasport

Car: 1996 Mazda Astina 180i se BA
Unhappy How to set the TPS?

Ok guys, so as I have learnt that the TPS could be one of the contributing factors to a rough idle etc. I also learnt that the TPS can be adjusted, before just replacing it with a new one, as it could just be an adjustment prob.
So I tried the GND&TEN method, with the ignition on, but not idle, and then advanced(moved up) the TPS. as i noticed the idle at cold start has risen to 2100rpm. Unfortunatly i did not get a chance to drive the car, so im not sure it fixed the idle problem just yet. and if I now just got to lower the idle speed.

Nb, the TPS was 3/4 way up, i now turned it up full. Is this correct? or was I supposed to drop it down more?
Current problem is that the car will idle rough at 900rpm. and keeps fluctaucting when coming to a stop street or just at stationery idle. Have cleaned the IAC valve, no vacuum leaks, reset the ECU and Used the GND & TEN method to set the idle speed, but still have this rough idle, so the last thing iv come down to is the TPS. (oh yes new plugs and wires yesterday) so please more info here guys

thank you
Old 26-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdasport View Post
Current problem is that the car will idle rough at 900rpm. and keeps fluctaucting when coming to a stop street or just at stationery idle.
I know you have cleaned it. But it still has all the warning signs of a faulty IAC.

p.s. You don't need 2 theads about the same thing.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
mazdasport

Car: 1996 Mazda Astina 180i se BA
lol sorry
so what do you suggest?
maybe try cleaning the IAC valve again, or maybe with a different cleaner or something?
i used the wynns carb cleaner
Old 26-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
project.r.racing

"faulty" is the key word. not dirty.

i'd be pulling it out and seeing if the motor is actually working. and also to see if the spring is still intact.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
djshotty

Car: 1994 BA V6 manual hatch
Any word on how to re-install and replace this little TPS device? After reading this thread and noticing the issues are similar to what my KF V6 is doing, I took the TPS off from the left hand side of the air intake where it's attached with those tiny little Philips head screws. Thing is, I've checked it out electrically with a multimeter, all is working Ok, so I've gone to put it back only to have the engine pretty much refuse to start. It's like in a carby fed motor, the engine is running way too rich and it's flooding.
Also, nowhere in any of this forum could I find info on cylinder layout for the KF V6, i.e. what number cylinder is in what position under the tappet cover? These details would make it a great deal easier for me (and heaps of other unsuspecting KF V6 owners) to make sure it's firing in the right order...
Cheers...
djshotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshotty View Post
Any word on how to re-install and replace this little TPS device? After reading this thread and noticing the issues are similar to what my KF V6 is doing, I took the TPS off from the left hand side of the air intake where it's attached with those tiny little Philips head screws. Thing is, I've checked it out electrically with a multimeter, all is working Ok, so I've gone to put it back only to have the engine pretty much refuse to start. It's like in a carby fed motor, the engine is running way too rich and it's flooding.
Also, nowhere in any of this forum could I find info on cylinder layout for the KF V6, i.e. what number cylinder is in what position under the tappet cover? These details would make it a great deal easier for me (and heaps of other unsuspecting KF V6 owners) to make sure it's firing in the right order...
Cheers...
more info here on adjusting the TPS http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17493

if you didnt remove the spark plug wires and mix them up, there shouldn't be any change in the firing order!

asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
project.r.racing

yes he has another thread he started at the same time, where all the information is in. find his other threads and you'll have all the info.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
djshotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanga View Post
more info here on adjusting the TPS http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17493

if you didnt remove the spark plug wires and mix them up, there shouldn't be any change in the firing order!
Why do you think I have asked for info about firing order, cylinder numbering and placement, etc.? This forum has got to be the most unhelpful place, it's like drawing blood from a stone to get a simple answer to a simple question.
All I want to know is what order the pistons are in the block, so I can make sure I have the leads on in the right order. Haven't got that info? Then please, don't make a stupid comment.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Here is some info on the KL-ZE firing order:
http://www.mazda626.net/topic/37319-...e-distributor/

Perhaps it will give you an indication of what the firing order on the KF is.

If nothing else, it is something to try

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
djshotty

Okay, here we go, exactly what I was looking for, and pain in the tailshaft to find...
Thanks to Orion for the link, pics copied from there...

Cylinder Layout - Mazda Astina BA KF V6...

Distributor connections - Mazda Astina BA KF V6...

And now, my thing is running to the point where I can drive it to the Newcastle Mazda Maitland service guys just 5km up the highway...
Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
project.r.racing

Quote:
And now, my thing is running to the point where I can drive it to the Newcastle Mazda Maitland service guys just 5km up the highway...
Also drive to the hospital and get whatever is stuck up your arse removed also. Might make you less angry than currently.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Settle, members.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
Also drive to the hospital and get whatever is stuck up your arse removed also. Might make you less angry than currently.
"Like"
Old 05-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
djshotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
What isn't there to get angry about, mate? The fact that so often throughout this forum, there are guys who ask nicely for help, but nothing's here? Or maybe just the fact that a 'club' for people with similar interests hasn't found it within themselves to share anything without a cost involved? GFY
Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #15
phunkdust
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SP20
now now, lets all just hug it out, ok? it's the internet.
phunkdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #16
project.r.racing

Quote:
The fact that so often throughout this forum, there are guys who ask nicely for help, but nothing's here?
I fail to understand how you can say that.

In your short 18 post say with AGT, you have asked:-
1) Looked for a cheap V6, you got the help required, you even posted thanks.
2) Found info on your friends K8, which you failed to provide alot of info for that, confusing others, not many K8s here, so why expect a big knowledge base for that engine here?
3) Asked about TPS failure, help was given, then you went off topic with a question, and it was missed.

If you do not like this forum, you can always head elsewhere? Go over to Fordlaser.com, I'm sure you'll get heaps of help regards KJ Lasers (BA Astina's poor cousin). Just don't expect anyone to know about KF engines as they weren't fitted to KJ Lasers.

If you do choose to hang around, here are a few things that will make life easier in forums:-
1) Make sure the use of the english language is somewhat correct.
2) Gain a little mechanical knowledge, if unsure about something, then please say so, no one will care, and posters can dumb it down for the mechanical noobs.
3) If you have a question that is completely offtopic, then it might be best to start a new topic, as off topic questions may be missed, (as per the TPS thread).

Happy posting...