Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > NSW

Old 29-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #101
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
ohh azza.. the one you posted looks quite good aye.. is that similar to the one we did the ozmazdaclub ?
yeh... very similar to the ozmazda cruise... I didn't actually get to attend that one... but i remember the one u are talking about

if you wanna be cheeky with the one i posted up we can also sneak in a few passes through Mitchel's pass... last time i took the boys down there we ended up doing it 3 times (its a short one way twisty road that's amazing )
Old 29-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #102
Hammo

Car: 03 Sp20
"Fingers crossed its open" but the backup sounds good azza, little dissapointed if it is closed though, but better safe then sorry

chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

If you could choose between your'e dream girl and dream car

What rims would you put on it?

^^^ Click Me For Build Thread ^^^
Hammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #103
smurfy

Car: sp20
News said the fire has been contained so just have to wait and see

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #104
Hammo

That was for the ones in blue mountains but not putty road

Old 30-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #105
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
So let me get this right- Plan is to go from Sydney to Singleton? Dam. Someone else want to drive and I'll just sit back and sleep and maybe video or something.

Hammo are you confirmed on what we are doing. Or you planning on.

Oh and I know some of those roads mentioned -ETC are a no go fro the lowered types.
A bit like going via the ferry routes.

I am still a maybe Friday night is usually a late one for me.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #106
Hammo

Yeah rod, everyone has been saying for a while lets do putty road, so we are doing it. Also going north for a change would be awesome, means i dont have far to go home either for once

According to nsw live traffic, putty road no longer has fire warning. Fingers crossed we can drive on it!!!!

Old 30-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #107
giba
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda 323 Protege Sports Edition
Yeah from all I've heard, it's all good now too to should be sweet.

Don, I'll cruise down with ya, not sure of any other newcastle guys going though I may bring one of my mates if he's not working. Twin servos a good meeting up spot?
Send me PM
Old 30-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #108
laserlynx

Car: laser lynx
I think the putty rd will be fine looking at the RFS maps and when you put your route in shows no incidents also here is a link http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=683 and when you scroll down the 2 Hawkesbury fires, 1 is being control and the other is controlled as of today though. I have sent a message to the Hunter RFS to ask the question for Sat and waiting for a reply if not ill ring them Friday.
laserlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #109
rodhog

Putty road notes.
As some know I did a little reconnaiccense today. Mainly because I had to go to Maitland knew this was coming thinking about doing it on the cruise but figured I didn’t want to drive the wagon. But need it for load carrying.
First thing Fires are still in the area. So depending on next two days weather and if they spark up again. I saw fire guys putting some out next to road and was like with in eye distance fires still going and two helicopters went over with buckets. But it has burnt most of it already but the lower area Colo heights and the Wilberforce side will be the area most likely effect and if it's hot Hat Saturday hopefully we will be too far up the other end by that time.

Warnings don’t take this lightly just think about it first. I have driven this road over last 12 years. At least every two years. Many different cars/truck as well.

This is a long road. But most of all it’s an ISOLATED Long road. Comparisons to others like natio are chalk and cheese. Either side you have civilization on natio. Putty road closest supercheap is like 15km from each end. There is no short cut to say jump across to a freeway back to Sydney or Newcastle etc.
so your either going to continue or go back and if it’s on a Tow truck, it’s going to Cost you.
Cost you BIG. Oh and you will Wait. I mean WAIT WAIT a Windsor located tow truck will take time at least 1hour. Like I said ISOLATED.
So you’re properly thinking yeah I drive my car to QLD or Vic etc. Highway driving is one thing but I have seen too many times on a cruise where people’s Ego’s or whatever get best of them and do silly things. You can’t do this with this Road. It’s worse than before. The Red mist – you need to think on this road and not play the Tailgate the guy in front. You can’t go tail happy otherwise your rear might be truck lunch.

Back when I started on this road let’s say I am an L plater. I learnt how to judge speed, and eventually balance. In them days a stock car it was easy limited traffic. Now I would never put a L-plater on this road. Two years ago coming back from up north I took it home. In the Lexus. I boated that thing because wanted to get home and I have a jockey pushing me. Some weekend drivers caused issues but a car built (take note of this) to overtake on autobahns at over 100km/h has no issue with short areas for over taking. I sat behind some fire cars today because I could not be stuffed pushing it. Driving a car today underpowered and overweight. Like most 2.0L sedan or Wagons in this case. Your biggest issues are oncoming traffic. Not all will have lights on, plus many of them WILL BE DOING OVER 100km/h in opposite direction. Then you have the trucks not just Truck “TRUCKS” – Semi’s and B Doubles. They come up very quickly and not always in there lane. Sorry never in there lane completely. If I find footage on safety I will put it up.
I generally apply the 10% rule on Natio meaning 10% room on this Road you allow 25% or more.
Add in potential for animals. Even when burnt out. Turned me in Eddie Murphy ( If I find the video it will explain all) but you have DEER a large 10km section on Roo’s and of course WOMBAT.

Another main factor to take in is that this is a B road at best. Its Old school built with some areas having an upgraded surface. But majority is very very rough. I’ll explain later on how to combat the issue. The Main issue is it’s not smooth where you need it. It’s full of undulations and ruts. Having stiff suspension is one thing but its lack of travel that will hurt you at speed on this road.
Combine this with road gradient that changes. Well it makes it challenging. It’s all fun but if you hit a grade at the wrong time with wrong gear and well if you are not well endowed with torque, Or an Auto you find yourself in the wrong gear. Now you will do it to try and stop speeding. But what about the other guy behind you. This one reason I do say to most people Give yourself 200 meters.

The last issue is time and length. Yeah we all want it to last this a 3hr drive. Yes you can do it in about 2hrs at the speed limit if you have no traffic. But it will take it out on YOU. It will take it out on your car. This road Is Isolated can I say it, NO PETROL STOPS so have a full tank or enough to travel 250km. NO food stops – there is one or two cafe stops but that’s about it. Again I have list below of things. Because of this time many of you will Question your ride and comfort. Like I say I drove it today in the Wagon. I still have 140-150mm ground clearance from stock 170mm. Yet my butt is still sore. I drove this road last time in a very stiff Evo 7. The owner was happy I drove not him. Yet he broke the handle on is passenger side of the car on the roof. The recaro bruised my ASS muscles.
This road is better suited to OLD school. I man GTHO floating around at hi speed YES. We did it and it was fine. Back then this is that road. Modern Coilovers over stiff etc well when you bounce of line. Hope no motorcycle or truck on coming. Many of the corners marked with 55 -60 and 45km/h speed recommendations should not be taken lightly. You go in at the speed limit of 100km/h you hold on and Pull it out of that corner other wise use your brakes. Especially if you find your steering bouncing up and going lite during some of the corners. This very much Targa type roads of Tasmania, Adelaide classic and Targa west. Don’t think either you can Cut the corner like you do most of the time. Because remember that Truck is doing 100km/h around that blind corner.

As in regard with the Police – they do more motorcycle checks and yes HP do run on it. I saw today on entry to putty road 3 of them all with Victims. Once you get past Colo heights it gets less traffic and more easier to spot but they have used it for them nice Vans and Territory’s with them Smile your on candid camera events.

Okay now you got all that. Let me explain what you need to be prepared to have.

A your Car.
Car needs
o Make sure it’s ready no major issue. I don’t recommend using this as a shake down. Best if you car has few hundred km’s under its belt from any major changes. Includes body work. This road rough enough – well my plugs for my Sub came out which are very tight banana plugs. (same ones that held the old one when flew out the back window shook off today) A totally stock car is better
o Carry some limited tools with you. Today I carried laptop for ECU – and my small tool box.
o Tyres – okay this will be choice. I made the mistake of saying Ah got freeway B road – no rush lets got Hi –pressure – I went slight over inflate setting on my tyres. I do this on most highways running for econ and quicker response at freeway speeds. Even all the BEST Autobahn cars will have a below 160 and above 160 Psi setting. But why was it a mistake. Well I run extra cushion – big side wall. Now back end responded better – less tail out. But front had a bit too much bounce. Normally no issue. But still why overall. Normal or soft settings will get you some really really roughed out tyre edge on the majority of road surface. Those who are outside factory limits will see the tyre edge chip or erode out. Especially if you have soft tyres. Upping the inflation level help reduce this but does have other effects including handling. This is one of the better ways to handle the rough surface – if you have hi-sidewalls profile 50Plus use a stock setting can increase front a little. Rubber band, you can lift it but not much.1 -4psi
o Spare tyre. Many forget to check so pressures and check you’re spare.
o Do your normal water oil check but don’t go overboard. KISS and don’t touch it if it ain’t broke. Apply here.
o I don’t recommend waxing or having tyre shine etc. Reason well you will clean it afterwards. The bugs and leaves and everything else will make enough mess.
The Wax can make it easy to get off but it can also cause other issues. Most important clean windows and mirrors. Make sure all lights work.

What you need to bring.

• Your self – ID licence etc normal crap – naked picture of your sister what ever
• Water Yes like I said isolated bring water and Food. It’s a long drive and a nibble or similar will help sustain you.
• Camera etc go pro apparently we need them.
• Sunscreen and insect repellent if you don’t like bugs it is the bush. Trust me easy to get drivers arm.

As noted it’s a long road so if you need to be HOME by mid afternoon don’t start it.
Even if you go back via the same road its long drive.

Theoretically Wilberforce to Singleton should take 2Hrs and a bit. But For Sydney people who haven’t gotten to Wilberforce. It took me 55Mins from Enfield Shell on Roberts road. Now if you decide after we get to Singleton to go home via M1 and F3 or whatever they call it now. Singleton to the beginning will take almost an hour they have road works on the new hunter expressway and then you add 2hrs or 1.5hrs. I did tonight to Bexley North in 1.50mins. 15mins quicker than the GPS unit.

Now if any of this has you worried or put you off sorry.

Because it’s a great road that you don’t have to speed on to enjoy. For me it’s ****ING BORING.
In the Mazda 2 it’s too bouncy on its Tein coilovers. The Mx-6 well it has cruise so lock it in and turn wheel most of it. Same goes for the Lexus. The Wagon was fun until I got to the Boring bits and wished I had retro fitted the cruise control. You might think Yeah Right like you will get on a section or two and can see 1km -3km all open and you think – like you didn’t put the Mx-6 off the clock or the Lexus well. I over took two trucks in the Lexus last time a 355 Ferrari went past me. He did his 130-140 I did speed limit I caught him in the windings doing 90.

I might bring my kitt with me and additional fuel for me.

Oh yeah Buy your fuel in SYDNEY – South West is cheapest. I payed 1.56 today on way up V power –43L Refuelled in Campsie $1.56 and Bp ultimate. 436kms pretty sure used less on the way up. As was carrying a load on the way back.
Fuel in Richmond was 5cents more on the E10 alone. Most of you should make it one tank.

The other thing Hammo we will need to stop for at least 20mins after getting out of it. Just so we get the SPEED out of us. It makes it hard to go back to 60km/h when you get use to that Noise of exhaust and tyre (lots of tyre) after long period. I was struggling on my way to Maitland. People looking at me. Let me just say Disillusioned is very true.
Old 31-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #110
laserlynx

Car: laser lynx
my wife checked yesterday and apparently we have the weekend hitting close to 40C, bring swimmers don't worry about a towel you will dry off before you get to your car lol
laserlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #111
Hammo

Thanks for the input rod, lot of useful info, especially for those who havent driven on the road. Like you said it is a long road, i think we should stop at one of those little cafe shops for like rest brake etc, go toilet eat something etc...

Its def going to be a long day so if you are driving by youre self, you will get fatigued, we will be having lunch and a brake in singleton for those to relax a bit, breathe in some of the fresh air in the upper hunter.

Old 31-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #112
BG1.8sp

Great summary Rod!
drive like you do through the natio through putty road and there WILL be tow trucks!
Take it easy, no stupid overtaking manuevers etc.

If we get caught behind super slow bunch (caravan etc) then best just to pull over where safe, have a chill, chat and a laugh, then head off again.

Putty road does usually have quite a few Highway Patrol along it over the weekend... and even more so due to these fires.

Anyway... See you all saturday lets enjoy the nice drive.
For those on stiff coils... book your chiropractor in now
Old 31-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #113
smurfy

if people have CB radios please bring them!! makes life a littler easier.

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
Old 31-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #114
BG1.8sp

Quote:
if people have cb radios please bring them!! Makes life a littler easier.
no!!!
Old 31-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #115
smurfy

Yessss!!!!

Old 31-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #116
Hammo

Azza mate like this hahaha

Old 31-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #117
BG1.8sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammo View Post
Azza mate like this hahaha

ahhaha exactly
Old 31-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #118
smurfy

EAD!!!!! ahahaha

Old 31-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #119
BG1.8sp

Quote:
EAD!!!!! ahahaha
Old 31-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #120
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1.8sp View Post
drive like you do through the natio through putty road and there WILL be tow trucks!
hey you ain't seen me drive. You can't imagine what I can or have done. Insanity has nothing to do with braver it's a way of life.

but as I say give yourself room. The road will catch you out. I was in 1 to zero hand mode an even I had to wake up and realise 4th was still too tall to pull. but you get that when you drive a turbo or auto most of the time.