Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 30-06-2003, 06:57 PM   #21
submersiblepotato

Hey ppl,

I have a pretty good audio and electrical background (i think..) and you guys are pretty well on the mark. PMPO or "peak music power output" is a useless figure and is generally only advertised on lower budget systems. Continuous Watts RMS "root mean squared" are the ones you want to look at. Yes 35 Watt RMS high current amps can sound better than 100 Watt RMS amps. Most of my experience is in home theatre and Yamaha are an excellent example of low(er) RMS amps with high current, yet they will out perform so called 150 Watt RMS amps because they CAN do true 35 Watts RMS continous without clipping and distortion. Speakers also are advertised with bogas power ratings. So called 600 Watt subs will have a different figure in small print called the "nominal power handling". Match this to your amplifiers true continuous RMS power and you are on a winner. My 10' infinity kappa is 90 Watts nominal power handling but is quite efficient (95 dB/W) and therfore makes alot of sound with the power that it gets. Low efficiency speakes (eg anything below 90 dB/W @ 1m) need more power to make the same ammount of noise but have greater accuracy in producing the sound. A 96 dB/W speaker will sound twice as loud as a 93 dB/W one given the same ammount of power.

Hope this answers a few questions..

cya

Sub
Old 30-06-2003, 06:59 PM   #22
submersiblepotato

I'm not sure of the exact PMPO conversion but to convert Peak to Peak power to RMS...

First divide by two (pretty big difference already)

Then times it my 0.707 to get an RMS figure...

"Numbers are fun !"

ciao

Sub
Old 30-06-2003, 07:24 PM   #23
Memphis

Car: BG Astina
dunno if this will help at all but my stats for my VDO's are:

Specification:
Max. Power Watts 300
Nominal Power Watts 150
Sensitivity dB/1W/m 91
Old 05-07-2003, 12:08 PM   #24
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShadow
Oh, yeah, audio shops will try and tell you that you aint got 6x9, as none of the books list the Hardtop!!! *SO they go by the hatch/Protege that both got 6 inch.
You aint whistling dixie :!:
Took me about five minutes to convince the sales dude that the rears are 6x9 and on the parcel shelf. As I was leaving with my 6x9s he asked that I keep the packaging in good nick as I may need to return them.

The speakers were installed and working and car back together 90 minutes later.

Rod
Old 05-07-2003, 01:27 PM   #25
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Heh, did you take the car back to him and slap him over the head saying "See ********!! The customer is always right!" :lol:

Adam

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:19 PM   #26
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPayner
Heh, did you take the car back to him and slap him over the head saying "See ********!! The customer is always right!" :lol:

Adam
No, I'll go back to get the fronts in a few weeks. He most likely believed the catalogues, the shop guy is not to blame. I'm right tho
Old 05-07-2003, 08:10 PM   #27
SehnKhan

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyman
keep my posting to a minimum to avoid confrontation with brad, mal and jynx. oh, and sehnkahn too.

I intend to become an audio junkie, and i need to learn the basics before i can get to any high level of understanding.
#1: It's not that we have big issues, it's just you post alot of crap.
#2: if you want to become somewhat of an audiophile, clock on over to www.caraudioaustralia.com for some ideas.
SehnKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 08:41 AM   #28
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
Its a good point submersiblepotato made, and I still find a lot of ppl i talk to are fooled into thinking watts are that big of a deal in amps. Sure they're important, but if you want good sound choose quality over output.

If you look at a lot of the very high-end speaker amps, they're possibly only putting out abt 50-150w RMS. But they'll be louder and sound a sh*t load better than a kenwood 600w RMS amp. They'll take a handle more volume before distorting too.

But it depends on the purpose of the amp and the speakers it'll run. For example a sub needs plenty of oomf behind it, but a pair of 6" splits wont.

Also, its really good to look at the other specs for the amp too such as noise level. Coz i HATE noise :wink: And Im still pulling my car apart fairly regularly coz i hear a faint hiss or engine whine in there somewhere.

Quote:
could you explain 'splits/co-ax'?
They both refer to a speaker setup design which usually incorporates a driver and a tweeter. Most often 2 speakers, sometimes more. Coaxial speakers are used to save space and contain the sound from a single source. Basically the tweet is mounted in the middle of the driver's cone - and splits have them as seperate speakers mounted seperately in the car. Common opinion is that its still 'best' to have them as close as possibly still. ( eg next to each other ). Personally I dont like that, i like a raised high freq so mine are higher in the car ( at window height ) and the driver is at the bottom of the door.

Splits are better. Theres no arguing that. The choice really is the extra price and its a little bit harder to install. Also, the tweets will run off a crossover which 'extracts' the higher frequencies.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:12 AM   #29
mrpayner

I guess we should also point out that PMPO [Peak Music Power Output] is achievable for only a poofteenth of a second as well, if that. As stated before RMS is continous power and therefore better..

I have a high end home hi-fi amplifier that pumps out 50w RMS per channel, I can play that as loud as you hear in clubs from my speakers and it sounds a lot better as there is no distortion and you don't get that ringing noise in your ears when you leave or turn the volume down. Ringing ears are bad by the way as if you listen to music like that too much or you're exposed to that high level of "noise" for extended periods the little "feelers" in your ears that sense sound will actually lay down and in effect die. Thus the ringing will be constant, or worse, you'll go deaf.

Adam

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
Old 06-07-2003, 09:49 PM   #30
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPayner
Ringing ears are bad by the way as if you listen to music like that too much or you're exposed to that high level of "noise" for extended periods the little "feelers" in your ears that sense sound will actually lay down and in effect die. Thus the ringing will be constant, or worse, you'll go deaf.
Welcome to the world of industrial deafness

So in other words, i'm not ignoring you, i just have trouble hearing voice tones when there's lots of background noise or more importantly, music :shock: :P

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:17 PM   #31
Toyboy

Car: Ba Astina
Send a message via MSN to Toyboy
Yeah well my ears are stuffed and constantly ring and im only 27 :cry: And i can tell ya now its not a good thing,its F**king anoying :evil:
So dont go overboard peeps :wink:
Old 11-07-2003, 05:26 PM   #32
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Car: 2005 SP23 Hatch
Send a message via MSN to MrShadow
Well, my ears ring, and I'm not big on loud music or clubbing. I do, however, fly frequently ins mall aircraft. And even head phones, it's bloody loud. Bummer.

Confuscias say "man who go to sleep with itchy bottom, wake up with smelly finger"
MrShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #33
mrpayner

For those who are researching car speakers at the moment.. I've just been in touch with Gary from "Gary's Car Radio" [Ph: 03 9459 8522 Head offie at Heidelberg] in the city.. Alpine have released a 5x7 Type-R speaker into their new lines that have just been released.. They're 2-way coax speakers.. And you can find them on the http://www.alpine-usa.com website as the Australian website hasn't been updated yet.. Gary wasn't sure of the price but he said they weren't going to break the bank. I'm going to have a look at them when I pick my new Alpine CDA-9813 headunit up from the Preston branch in a few weeks..

Adam

Old 20-07-2003, 12:17 AM   #34
Sandyman

Send a message via MSN to Sandyman
ok, to be frank, anything that clearly states "alpine" is probably automatically above the budget, but thanks anyway. maybe when i'm older and looking for some high quality sound.

reading some of your posts about sound is making my head hurt. that or hitting myself in the head with a shovel. I won't be able to listen to a sub for a few weeks.

Speaking of subs, I've recently heard that something quite large (eg kicker 750 WRMS 15' square sub) is generally useless in a car, as the sheer power makes the car vibrate too much causing poor quality sound. If somebody can confirm this, I will probably be convincedto get a couple of 12' JBL subs instead(in about 5-10 years of coarse)
Old 20-07-2003, 11:46 AM   #35
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
vibrations are vibrations regardless of the source.

if you got ur 2 x 12"s to play the same note at the same volume as a single 15" , which is quite possible. it would have the same power and vibrate the car just as much. the difference between the two is where the waves overlap on the 12s you would have an amplified 'vibration' and if this was at a part of the car, it would take a fair beating.

frankly I always think that good sound comes from a single source. adding more speakers just makes a mess. This is something that I've been playing around with. ( if any1 remembers my old custom back shelf ).

So if u want good bass, in my opinion get a single good quality sub and back it up with an amp of equal quality. hopefully, you'll never have the sub at a level where it vibrates the car that much ( ouch! ), and if it does, deaden the car !!

Dave
Old 21-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #36
submersiblepotato

i could not agree more.......