Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 01-10-2002, 11:14 PM   #1
kyra
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]hey all,

dunno how many of you are audio gurus, but I am seriously sick of the stock astina stereo... it has an ok looking deck with 6 stacker, but that's it... no power at all...speakers sound ****e...etc etc.
i just want to upgrade the deck first.... anybody know any good double din decks (cd/tuner) around... saw a nice pioneer deck with changable colours, but bit steep at 1690.[/colorost_uid0]
kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2002, 11:38 PM   #2
EZZY
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#FF7F00ost_uid0]go to www.panasonic.com.au
find the "audio", "in car" section.
find the ones you like with the model numbers.
PM me and i will try to get good prices for you.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-10-2002, 03:02 AM   #3
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
[color=#000000ost_uid0]you'll get the best performance gain from spending ur $$ on amp and speakers so dont waste too much on pretty head units in my opinion. Plus it makes the stereo more noticeable to thieves.

Plan ahead and get a head unit which has the features u will need in the future as u upgrade. If u want amps ( which it sounds like u will ) then try to find something with 5 pre-outs ( front, rear, and sub ). Preferably 4+ volt, but not crucial. Dont worry abt the wattage of the head unit. Thats not much use once u amp the system.

How much $$ will u want to spend overall ? What kind of stereo do u want ? loud ? good sound quality ? tv ? sub ?

also remember the costs of installing the stereo. Whether u do it urself or pay someone else. ( do it urself :: sooo much better, and easy as pie! ) . But if ur going to pay someone else, get the whole system done at once to reduce the cost.

Dave[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-10-2002, 09:59 PM   #4
Provo

Send a message via ICQ to Provo
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Dogo, do you mean a deck with 3 pre-outs? If he starts looking for 5 (which i think you mean 5 channels of pre-outs) then he wont stop looking.
Try for something second hand, or go with Ezzy, he can get some really good prices on stuff. You can also log onto the CAA website (www.caraudioaustralia.com) and look for some stuff in the for sale section. You can even ask for stuff (WTB). I'd start there. But like Dogo says, try and get all the stuff at one place, and try to get a combo deal. (always walk in shake hand, ask for quote of separate things, then ask for a group deal, then "can you do better", etc, then "what if i pay cash NOW"...they always get excited... Its easy enough to install yourself...save then money and buy better stuff!!! Try Stratties for thier combo deals...i think that they arent that bad.
Hope this helps.
Joe

PS if you thinking about buying an Alpine amp tell me cause i'm going to in a little while, and we can see if we get a good deal on a few of em.[/colorost_uid0]
Provo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 10:32 PM   #5
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
[color=#000000ost_uid0]yeh, 3 or 5. however u look at it. 5 including Left and Right, 3 if u consider it just Front and Rear. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 09-10-2002, 04:51 AM   #6
kyra
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]sorry to dissappoint you guys... but i honestly don't want subs...or amps for that matter... a nice deck and 4 half decent speakers in the factory locations! i'd rather spend up on rims next year....[/colorost_uid0]
Old 11-10-2002, 07:50 AM   #7
cooldragon

Send a message via MSN to cooldragon
[color=#000000ost_uid0]hey there

a mazda is very good for installing a SQ system in it

i own a 96 323F GT V6 and have built a hifi install in it, and must say that the accoustics are very very good, even compared to BMW and VW, which are considered the top brands to build some ICE in it

my system consists of

Clarion DRX-9575 headunit+655Tz cd changer, which will be replaced by a nakamichi MB-100 headunit

plays on a 2way composet DYNaudio system 640MKII and MB Quart RKC 116 powered by a Rockford Fosgate punch 800a4 which will be replaced soon by a soundstream rubicon 805,daVinci or Phoenix Gold ZX-Ti series

Have one subwoofer: Phase Linear Aliante 12 inch.

you dont always use a sub to boom your music. A sub is originally designed to make up for the bass that gets lost in car accoustics and especially when driving. A speaker set can never reach 20 below Herz. if you just want to upgrade your headunit and speakers, try the Dynaudio system, or focal utopia or maybe CDT HD series

as for a headunit that will rock your world and ears in clear and supersound try the nakamichi's[/colorost_uid0]

http://showcase.showyoursound.nl/
cooldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:24 AM   #8
Mr_Bob

Send a message via ICQ to Mr_Bob Send a message via MSN to Mr_Bob
[quoteost_uid0="cooldragon"][color=#000000ost_uid0]as for a headunit that will rock your world and ears in clear and supersound try the nakamichi's[/colorost_uid0][/quoteost_uid0]
[color=#000080ost_uid0]too true, something like the CD45Z,
don't look too hot, less likely a theif will think it's great, and brilliant for SQ.
Naka's are pretty dear this one of the lower end models (though still excellent, it'll sound better than any pioneer)
from memory around the $700 mark.
that could bear checking though.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 12-10-2002, 12:00 AM   #9
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Ok...now you've overstepped the mark, Mr D...and no i dont care that its actually Mr B. Listen...pioneer are the bomb... Pioneer are the best head units in the world, and they are by far the best hu's when it comes to SQ. I think that you guys have been buying something like '****eoneer' or something... but Pioneer are the best...Why would you go and buy something with a name like naikamarchi...i mean whats the suppost to be... "i am ****e" in jappanese or something?! Please...my stomach hurts just thinking about buying any other hu apart from Pioneer! Go for the pioneer hu son!

(Clause 121b: Provo will not be held liable for anything that he posts...at all! Including when he rants on about how he really hates Naikamarchi.)

'nuff said. [/colorost_uid0]
Old 12-10-2002, 03:24 AM   #10
Mr_Bob

[color=#000080ost_uid0]listen here Povo,
it's obvious your just jealous cause you're too poor for a Nakamichi, (hence your nickname[yes i know it says provo])

you should know from your CAA training that nakamichi make some of the best SQ decks. and do i need to say anything about pooneer?

but seriously, each to their own, listen to the HU's we've suggested, make sure it's on good speakers, preferably the ones you intend to buy.
most of the time, the SQ from the HU is far better than the speakers anyway.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 12-10-2002, 05:24 AM   #11
cooldragon

[color=#000000ost_uid0]hmm i mr provo's (car)audio knowledge is not that good...pioneer is just as japanese as nakamichi is and many other brands(sony,clarion,kenwood etcetc) but in home audio nakamichi is one of the best brands that deliver the best HiFi sound quality. They invented the first three head cassette deck in the 70's long before any other brand introduced it.

to any person who has some serious interest in (car) audio , nakamichi should be one of the brands that you MUST have heard of.....if you never had the chance to have listened to it...don't judge it , because anyone who is into serious ICE-ing in cars, will laugh at you comment[/colorost_uid0]

Old 12-10-2002, 10:05 AM   #12
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Haha...i was wondering if it was actually the ever ellusive Mr_B. Oh thats right you do have an Astina now hey...well at last you've come to your senses!
cooldragon...watch it...your gonna get your house burned! My audio knowledge is as extensive as my sense of sarcasm! Obviously you guys dont want to be cheered up...so i'll give you a decent opinion!
For qual hu's... go Naikamarchi , Alpine F1, or Eclipse. Problem with these hu's is that your looking at about $500+ for their entry level hu's!!
But if your after modest sound...as I would think you would then go for the middle range hu's like your Pioneers, Clarions, and Alpines.
People who say that they can hear the difference between a Nakamichi and the top->middle Pioneer or Alpine are kidding themselves. Alright 1 in 10000000000 people may be a composer, and they can hear every tone from 11hz-43khz (i'm waiting for someone to say..."ah provo, you can't hear that"...dont). But for the adverage Jo (haha...get it...my name is Joe), these will be fine.
As Dogo says, look for things that you will be needing in the future, like 2-3 pre-outs, aux in, etc. Anyway when looking at hu's output, you'll find that if they advertise between 4x45 and 4x52...it'll just be 4x22rms anyway! So dont pay that much attention.
I'd say try stay away from Sony...b/c they are (and i'm sure Mr B will back me up here) entry level decks. But if thats all that your after then go for it. Sony do make some decent high lvl decks though.
But Kyra, if your after pioneer, i can import them at pretty decent prices. Just PM me.
But if you want more in depth info, give us, din size (i though all astina's were 1 din), your budget, what you want out of it, and as much info as possible! And you'll have heaps of help not only from myself and Mr B (CAA'ians), but from others as well!
Cheers,
Joe
(if anyone says "oh...Provo you sure you spelt that Narcaminichiwa right, i'll personally kill you and your family!) :laugh:[/colorost_uid0]
Old 12-10-2002, 12:07 PM   #13
Mr_Bob

[color=#000080ost_uid0]how am i ellusive? (what does ellusive mean? )
not got astina yet. got loan approved, got price, got everything but my freaking car to trade in....(at smash repairers)
WAITING WAITING WAITING

i actually don't mind the Sony decks too much, i've got some mates who ouht them, against my wishes, and the deck wasn't too bad,(high end tho $1,5K+) the rest of thier range isn't terribly exciting, and i've had reliability issues with their stuff in general so i wouldn't touch it again.

if you have difficultly deciding, drop into www.CarAudioAustralia.com, leave your wallet at home tho [/colorost_uid0]
Old 12-10-2002, 08:09 PM   #14
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well if you say 1500+...then i'd assume it'd be the CDXMP70 (right product code? thats just off the top of my head), which is a really nice deck! And they look good too!
But dont you find that Pioneer are really the only decks in that 'lowish' price range which come with the OEL? But I'm finding that the Pioneer decks are kinda going downhill...i think they're aiming for the mass production side of supply. Cause i'm on my 4th Pioneer deck...and i'm thinking that they dont make em like they used to...which is why i'm going to import and try thier Premier range.

Yeah Kyra, give us some more info and we'll help you or...as Mr_B says take a look at CAA (along with Critter we're just the resident advertisments!), and you'll have so many people giving you advice...you wont know what hit you!!
Sorry got the wrong sp on ellusive
Allusive: 1. containing an illusion 2. containing many illusion.
(yeah!!! go the oxford dictionary!)(that wasn't what i meant...i was implying...sneaky...umm...yeah)
Oh...and Cooldragon...bite me! "mr provo's (car)audio knowledge is not that good"...so far...i've installed about 4 amps, 7 sets of speakers, tuned about 4 systems (i'm proud!), made my own splits (they sound...awesome!) and built a car from scratch (with some help)...so yeah!! Oh and also...take a joke! *
And also...i think that we've hi-jacked enough... next post will be in reply to Kyra giving us more info! *:angry:

Also...Mr B have you tried the CAA website recently? Cause I can't get into it![/colorost_uid0]
Old 12-10-2002, 08:35 PM   #15
kyra
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Guys guys guys.... relax with Pioneer vs Nakamichi debating...

I am definately not a car audio expert, so YES, I would like your advice!! As my standard head unit is already double din, I want to upgrade with a ...... double din unit...

Now, I saw this head unit in hot4s mag (don't ask why I paid
for subscription).... and yes, you will probably laugh at me (check the brand name) ... but I do really like this deck....

http://www.kenwood.com.au/car3.asp?gid=1&amp;cid=24&amp;pid=372

Can you honestly tell me I can justify spending 2k on this deck... or do you think there are others on the market which have better features than this deck.

I can sneak it into my price range, but I won't have anything left for decent 6" speakers for a while.

So basically... break down goes something like this.....
Double Din cd/tuner
2 sets of higher spec 6" speakers (front and rear)

The more I keep looking at car audio, the more I realise that I there slim hope I can stick to 1.5k budget... put it this way, I'd rather wait a few more months and spend my cash on something that not only has excellent sound quality, but also looks good to ME.

Thanks heaps already... sorry I started astinagt.com forum fights!

Cheers

Bill

[B][/colorost_uid0]
Old 12-10-2002, 08:59 PM   #16
Mr_Bob

[color=#000080ost_uid0]do what Critter did, goto Mazda, and buy the 1 din pocket, so you don't have the gap,
2 din HU's are a bit of a farce IMO.
(mine is bigger than yours syndrome)
the only feature they have to offer is 2 input media types, so if you need MD and CD, or tape and CD in the dash.

if you want to fill the 2 din space with stereo, look into the Alpine range, i believe they make a 6 cd indash changer,
An Alpine HU and an Alpine indash stacker = 2 din. Alipne are right up there for SQ, i'd spend your budget on the HU, then get the stacker later if you feel you need it.

Provo: CAA is down ATM, and i'm not sure of the code of my mates Sony HU,
it's got a black face, but when you turn it on, it becomes a screen (kinda like JVC chameleon) when you press a button it's flips over and down revealing the CD slot, and the back of the face has got a blue screen, right red blacklights behind buttons, that side is silver.
(he likes those kinda gimmicks)[/colorost_uid0]
Old 12-10-2002, 09:16 PM   #17
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Haha...kyra...dont worry dude...we love our debates!
I'm supporting Mr_B and critter there...go and buy one of those pockets. If your going to spend $1.5k, then i'd be going to the alpine phantom face or a high qual single din...but the only prob with the PF is that you'd need a external amp. I'm not a fan of 2 din hu...b/c of the price, and unless you need the 2 din features, i wouldn't go there...you can get a single din hu which will have the same features (maybe not both tape and cd), plus you'll get other things.
Kenwood are a pretty good brand, not the best, but a medium range deck IMO. But if youe gong to be spening that much...i'd be going for a nak, eclipse, alpine or (if you can lower yourself this low) a high end pioneer.
But what i've learnt...WAIT til you have the money to buy what you really want, and what your aiming for in the end...it'll not only be useless upgrading all the time, but you'll waste your money. Set out a set of guidlines that you want to achieve and go at them one by one. Starting with hu, then speakers, etc...and go down the list...thats what i'm doing...and i'm only half-way through...i think its one of the better ways to go about it.
But if you want us to recommend some decks, tell us, what you like (plain or flashy), what you will need (cd/md), what your planning to do in the future...and no...i wont only give you pioneer decks... [/colorost_uid0]
Old 14-10-2002, 07:29 AM   #18
cooldragon

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Provo>> didnt mean to upset you..but really if you listen to a pioneer HU then to a nakamichi, then switch back to a pioneer...trust me you WILL hear the difference.....

i've also did a lot of installing...14 different setups in different cars and different brands so i can tell you i've been around listening to very many brands. i dont say that pioneer is a bad brand..it just won't reach the naka quiality. Pioneer used to make very good mid price installs, but lately i liked blaupunkt and clarion and alpine better....easier control and better sound.......

but i wont argue with you anymore....i can take a joke dont worry

by the way , what kind of astina do you drive? It seems that the astina is a lot more popular with you guys in down uner than here in The netherlands...much more accesories also.....

i envy you guys![/colorost_uid0]

Old 14-10-2002, 06:16 PM   #19
Provo

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I actually find that Pioneer are really user friendly compared to the others, and also that Clarion are kinda moving downhill along with Pioneer, mainly moving towards the mass market. Blankpunkt i haven't heard so i dont know. I thought that the alpine are pretty easy to control...but i prefer having the OEL even on the lower hu's (aka Pioneer! . But yep Alpine do sound better, or should I say have a better SQ, but between Alpine and Nak...much difference? Does it justify sometimes paying twice as much? Further more...does the SQ difference justify the price when comparing Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion and the like? I personally...would save the money (but then again i'm one of the most stingiest people you'll meet). And coold...of course i'm upset!!! I've been crying inbetween posts! And the installs...i didn't mean to take me seriously! I dont know what i've installed (as if i'm actually paying attention!)!
Arguing i think personally is one of the main points of a forumn! It give a really good picture of both side to a story...so i'm expecting a rebuttle! ::
(Astina's...theres a difference around the world? I thought that they were made in Japan and shipped...) We all have the cool kind![/colorost_uid0]
Old 19-10-2002, 03:13 AM   #20
Critter

Car: SP20
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Best post something here as my name has been mentioned so many times

Yep, single DIN unit with a pocket to fill the hole ($11 at your Mazda dealer). Definitely, pass on double DINS.
Personally I can't go past the Alpine range for SQ value and reliability. Naks are excellent but exxy. The Eclipse things are good but no detachable face which bothers me. Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion all good things, I've just had good service from Alpine.

A good start would be good HU and decent front speakers, the Alpine HUs are resonably grunty for a HU......
Trust me a decent power amp stuffed under a front seat will change your world tho'.
And once you have tried a sub properly set up to simply give you bass extension you'll wonder why you never did before, listen to ALL of the music.

Bill, feel free to pm or email me, I have connections and do know sh1te from clay......[/colorost_uid0]
Adjustable lowered suspension with monster brakes
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote