Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 19-10-2002, 12:02 PM   #21
cooldragon

Send a message via MSN to cooldragon
[color=#000000ost_uid0]yeah indeed a good set of front speakers can change your world! I firstly replaced my standard speakers with a bunch of 13 cm MB Quart 2 way reference-premium line speakers and already found it pretty way better than the paper-y things that were mounted in my astina standard... But since 4 months I've mounted my latest pair of 2 way 15 cm compo's in my front doors..... I didn't hear them in a car before but since i have them they will be hard to beat in my opinion and shame on me that i never heard them before.... I changed the MB Quarts to a DYNaudio Sytem 340 MK II ...now THAT really improved the sound and i think only a pair of Rainbow reference series or CDT HD can match or beat them.....

if u havte the chance to listen to them ...do!! they really convinced me, though....

Provo>>any argueing about this part ?? ::

i know they might not be THE best sounding for everybody but for me, for now they are...

playing on a RockFord Fosgate Punch 800a4, which soonly will be replaced by a nice Phoenix Gold ZX 675 Ti or Soundstream DaVinci amp combined with a fully damped car, Brax 1,0 fahrad and a very nice sounding Phase Linear Aliante 12 (also a recommendation!) woofer, it might take a while to improve again.....oh and i purchased the Naka MB 100 last week ..

anyone have any suggestions what else i can upgrade??

hmm nahh i think i'll stick to the engine and body kit performance for now.... [/colorost_uid0]

http://showcase.showyoursound.nl/
cooldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2002, 07:35 PM   #22
Provo

Send a message via ICQ to Provo
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Gimme a minute...i'll find something that I can dispute! Well...or you could go the "provo way" and make your own splits! You people just wait (I know your saying hehehehe they'll sound like a mouse with its tail being squeezed)... But i'll be beating all of you!!!
Or you could have a look at the Boston range...aparently they make really good stufff... Pioneer Bullets are also good so i've heard along with the Alpine SPA175A (I think) and the Hertz 2 way splits (Mr_b's recommendation to me a little while ago...)(i'm sorry...i just had to recommend something pioneer!) But the MB Quart are most certainly up there!!! I just dont know how anyone can spend the money on it... I just love my money...i cry everytime i buy something over Aus$50!!!
So cool...i'll find something next time...just you wait!!! :angry:[/colorost_uid0]
Provo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2002, 07:42 AM   #23
cooldragon

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Provo>> wow! it succeeded me to let u think about it one post *grin* ::

Boston>>checked!

before i purchased the DYNaudio i did some comparing research

i squeezed my choices to a last few and compared those all in my car:

it was between these 2 way component sets:

*Boston Accoustics PRO series
*MB Quart Q Series
*Focal Utopia Series
*CD Technologies HD Series
*Dynaudio System 340 MKII

The CDT and The DYN's really rocked my world while listening mostly to classical,vocals(miss saigon musical DDD recording), R&B,unplugged,Soul,Danced/Trance,HipHop/Rap,Jazz and Guitar music just to compare the different music styles and how their performances were in all catagories(i mostly listen R&B/Soul/HipHop/Jazz).

But because the DYN's were on a big discount for me and the CDT's were way too expensive(cost about 900 US$ over there in Holland) the choice was easy for me....maybe when i win the lottery i'll be tryinmg out the handmade/custom made rainbow reference series(total aluminum/titanium body) which are 4500 US$....how too much money can you have???

and what about the amps.....anything to match my plans: SOundstream DaVinci or PG ZXTi series?

well ....check ya later dude :O[/colorost_uid0]

Old 24-10-2002, 09:19 AM   #24
Critter

Car: SP20
[color=#000000ost_uid0]cooldragon
Some $$ in that system dude, DaVinci indeed

Hang the expense, an Audison HR100 is a REAL amp.....hehe
(spoken by a VRx owner, the Goddess of Automotive Amplifiers....) I think VRx will edge out a ZXti, but some of the Xtants are good too.

Choice in speakers is always to taste, there is nothing that is for everyone. Personally I like the Morels, quite like Dyns as they are/were Dyn design team.
the hard bit is always getting an idea of what they will sound like in the car, demo boards are pretty useless in that regard.[/colorost_uid0]
Adjustable lowered suspension with monster brakes
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2002, 09:45 AM   #25
cooldragon

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah man..heard a lot of Good things about audison too...but are they SQ as well as SPL? aybe u can tell me more about it...what's the price on the amps that you mentioned in comparison to The PG and SS?Heard a lot about US amps too since they aren't on stock in Holland....those amps are huge power, I heard...but lotsa $$$$ too..... and Soundstream tarantula..up there also!!

Provo>>MB Quart was my previous 2 way set, but they weren't that expensive though.....not as expensive as my Dynaudios were any way... ???

what about Phase Linear Aliante Si series....any of you have heard one in Aussie??

they will ROCK your world especially SQ systemzzz...didn't believe that a woofer could be that good that it won subwoofer of the year awarrds in Europe several years, over Focal utopia, Vega Stroker, JL Audio, RF HE2 etcetc ...but since i own one..... still have to hear one that can match the beauty of that bass!! it even plays 17 Herz Basses(can't even hear that..just FEEL it )

critter>>any suggstions?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 25-10-2002, 07:57 PM   #26
Critter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well, here a VRx Audison goes for about 20% more than a PG ti series of similar power. They are the Real Deal when it comes to SQ which is all I'm interested in (see my sig).

The Soundstreams are excellent without a doubt too, Xtant, Signat LABs, Butler Tube Drivers, there's a whole bunch of nice amps really and the US Amps are well-regarded but haven't heard one.

The Phase Linear sub I have never seen here and I've been around the biz for quite a while (over 20 years....) They used to sell hi-power domestic amps and then disappeared from Australia altogether with occasional re-emergences.

I am one person however from LOTS of experience who believes that the enclosure, its design, appropriateness and construction (especially) are far more important to a bass performance result than any particular drive unit.

My current bass system in the car uses a Kicker S12L72 ported to 30Hz and is an object lesson I think in this. Kicker holds the world record for SPL with L7s and also Mark Eldridge has the world record SQ score with S15L7s in his car.
Which is not to say the L7 is somehow the most fantastic woofer, rather that it if you use a good thing well....[/colorost_uid0]
Old 26-10-2002, 10:48 AM   #27
cooldragon

[color=#000000ost_uid0]mine is ported to 28 herz and i am a big fan of sealed enclosures because of the sq, however many might disagree with me

the reason i chose the aliante woofer is because of the small enclosure it needs.Not really because of the SPL because that's not their strongest point. If u can arrange to listen to one, please do and tell me what you think.i was staggered when i first heard one..they have the largest voice coili in the world(ina subwoofer) i have double trunk bottom 27 litres now, but it used to play in a 12 litres sealed encl and sounded like it was 2 12 inch JLW6's in a 70 litre enclosure, and then already playe from 19 herz basses at 100DB SPL

the PL arent popular in US either, but that's because of the ridiculous high prices(tax?)in europe they are very well known in SQ systems

check out

www.phase-linear.com

later dude...[/colorost_uid0]

Old 26-10-2002, 10:53 AM   #28
cooldragon

[color=#000000ost_uid0]ps i just bought a nakamichi MB 100 headunit...good buy or not?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 26-10-2002, 08:58 PM   #29
Critter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Naka HUs are definitely Good Things, but whether it is a Good Buy as well of course depends on the price...

As for Sealed = SQ, well sealed is easier to get right, but what is best depends on the driver. Either way, simple physics tell you that if you want ACOUSTIC POWER at very low frequencies you simply must access the output from the rear of the woofer. Output at low frequencies requires that you move a lot of air.

Real extension is rare in small enclosures and I'm glad the Phase Linear gives it to you (the Image Dynamics IDQv2's are quite good in this respect too) but if it's BALLS down low, a good port will never be beaten.

I can't think of a single decent home sub that is sealed at ANY price, all the best ones are ported.

In the finish, if you find something that gives you the result you are looking for, then you can't be happier than that regardless of whatever else is happening or what anybody else thinks.
There's people who would do their bass different than me and I'm kinda glad coz it's "my bass" and I love it!! [/colorost_uid0]
Old 27-10-2002, 01:31 AM   #30
Provo

Send a message via ICQ to Provo
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well cool...i think we all know what i'm going to say! So I wont ever bother saying it! Which i'm pretty sure that your all thank-ful for! Yeah Critter...is that the square kicker? Thats going to be my next sub...i LOVE THEM! Do you know if they come in dual 4ohm...i cant see any reason why not (would you know the price on it by any chance? Cause i'm aiming for the Alpine M500...and well...one needs a 2 ohm load for her![/colorost_uid0]
Provo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2002, 08:21 PM   #31
Critter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Yeah it's a square dual 2 ohm for a 4 ohm load.
There is certainly a dual 4, I can get them for a good price if you pm me ie 2002 Titanium L7s which are "private" imports now. Custom car Sound is only bringing in L5s.
Mine is a 2001.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 29-10-2002, 11:59 PM   #32
Mr_Bob

Send a message via ICQ to Mr_Bob Send a message via MSN to Mr_Bob
[color=#000080ost_uid0]i heard they were bringing the L7's in too.
when did you last check with CCS?
infact Daniel from SCR bought his in Oz.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 30-10-2002, 04:27 AM   #33
Critter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Doran Pro Audio also brings in 2002 L7s, but CCS does not.[/colorost_uid0]