Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #21
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
I built up a small circuit to vary the voltage sent to fans based on a temperature reading. Only cost me about $30 to make and it handles 2 x 120mm 12V fans with no problem. I had planned to use it in my car but my current setup didn't end up needing extra cooling so I've got it running the case fans in my server. It varies the voltage from ~ 6.6V at power on, and start to raise the voltage from 25 degrees until it gets to 12V (which happens at 48 degrees). The temperate range can easily be changed ...

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #22
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipa
I built up a small circuit to vary the voltage sent to fans based on a temperature reading. Only cost me about $30 to make and it handles 2 x 120mm 12V fans with no problem. I had planned to use it in my car but my current setup didn't end up needing extra cooling so I've got it running the case fans in my server. It varies the voltage from ~ 6.6V at power on, and start to raise the voltage from 25 degrees until it gets to 12V (which happens at 48 degrees). The temperate range can easily be changed ...
where did you pick said circuit up from? Jaycar kit?

I reckon an "always on if music is on" thing is the way to go for a car setup... the music will drown the hum out...as long as the amps are powered, power the fans...
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #23
chipa
Crazy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
where did you pick said circuit up from? Jaycar kit?

I reckon an "always on if music is on" thing is the way to go for a car setup... the music will drown the hum out...as long as the amps are powered, power the fans...
Nahh just adapted a circuit diagram I found on the 'net.

If you are not concerned with slowing them down for lower noise, make sure you use a relay on your 'remote trigger' to start them. This is because most headunits dont have a very high current rating on the remote trigger output.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #24
LordWorm

Quote:
Nahh just adapted a circuit diagram I found on the 'net.

If you are not concerned with slowing them down for lower noise, make sure you use a relay on your 'remote trigger' to start them. This is because most headunits dont have a very high current rating on the remote trigger output.
Yeh, relay gets thrown by headunit/amp, opens circuit drawing from a higher current 12v source.

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
Old 12-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #25
chipa
Crazy Member

There is another reason to slow the fan down, and that is to extend the life of the fan. Although a good BB one should last at least a year in your car and only cost around $25-30, depending on how much you drive that is...

Old 12-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #26
LordWorm

Quote:
There is another reason to slow the fan down, and that is to extend the life of the fan. Although a good BB one should last at least a year in your car and only cost around $25-30, depending on how much you drive that is...
Just 7 volt it.

even at almost half its max operating speed, its still going to pump air sufficiant to cool the amps....those 120mm suckers crank air at a crazy rate for what they are... plus, 7 volt modding it will give you longer life on the fan. Hows it done? inline resistor. Tutorial on just about any PC modding site you'd like to mention.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #27
chipa
Crazy Member

Slight problem.... there aint no 5V rail in a car, so 7V will be a touch hard to produce reliably without some sort of regulating circuit.

A resistor inline will not produce 7V exactly, it will change with heat and age as the load the fan produces changes over these variables. The best and safest way to drop the voltage correctly is with a regulator like the LM317T.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #28
LordWorm

Quote:
Slight problem.... there aint no 5V rail in a car, so 7V will be a touch hard to produce reliably without some sort of regulating circuit.

A resistor inline will not produce 7V exactly, it will change with heat and age as the load the fan produces changes over these variables. The best and safest way to drop the voltage correctly is with a regulator like the LM317T.
Ahhh true.

Well given that 120mm fans are cheap, you are not in your car 24 hours a day (i run 5 case fans in my computer at full speed - yes its very very very loud...I replace roughly a fan a year, and hte pc is never switched off), running them at full power only when they are powered by the amp relay thingy we've discussed - they'll last a sufficiant time...and if you design the setup nicely, you should be able to replace the fans without any trouble at all.

In my opinion, the cost of replacing the fans once every 2 or so years, or even if you had to replace them once a year, isnt overly that bad....design the false floor nicely to allow them to be replaced with a minimum of fuss and dont look back

Old 17-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #29
LordWorm

updates?

Old 17-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #30
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
Quote:

Yeah, but it doesn't have to be exactly 7 volts, a resistor inline would work fine, as long as it can handle the current that the fan will draw on approx 7 volts. You wouldn't use a 1/4watt resistor for it, you would need like a 1w or 2w and it should work fine.
Old 17-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #31
Asty93

unfortunatly this project has had to be delayed as i ran out of time last weekend and dont have a spare day now for 3 weeks!!!, bloody uni and work

but in the mean time ill continue going over any possible problems that may occur - someone once told me - its always better to think twice and act once

Im thinkin the relay off a speaker wire will definately be the go ... and ill use just the two 120mm fans, and also use grills instead of perpex to let even more air circulate around the false floor ....

it will happen just trying to find the time!!!
Old 17-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #32
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asty93
unfortunatly this project has had to be delayed as i ran out of time last weekend and dont have a spare day now for 3 weeks!!!, bloody uni and work

but in the mean time ill continue going over any possible problems that may occur - someone once told me - its always better to think twice and act once

Im thinkin the relay off a speaker wire will definately be the go ... and ill use just the two 120mm fans, and also use grills instead of perpex to let even more air circulate around the false floor ....

it will happen just trying to find the time!!!
Hide the fans at the back with a shield angled up from teh floor to the back of the seats! you can grill them, but they will also be totally out of sight..and give you an interesting line in the boot!... put the amps right there too... would work an absolute treat.. hinges to fold the shield foward for easy access...hide ALL the messy wiring there and it'll be awesome =)

where bouts in brissy are you? i may be able to give you a hand if you like...

Old 17-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #33
Asty93

lordworm ill let you know when im starting it ... allways good to have an extra set of hands ... but as i said i cant see it happening in the next couple of weeks unfortuanatly ... oh btw im in auchenflower.
Old 17-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #34
LordWorm

Cool..i'm over at moorooka, and have a reasonable garage if you dont...also have friend (3dsmax-stereoinstalling-electrician-magician) friend who lives a little down the road..and has jigsaw...could be useful too

Old 17-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #35
Asty93

very cool, im over that way occasionally. could definately come in handy as ive had to part with most of my/ and dads tools since coming to bne ... but slowing getting back to a decent set ...

will let you know when i get time too ....
Old 18-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #36
chipa
Crazy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asty93
I hope you meant a relay off the remote wire!!

Old 19-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #37
Asty93

ahh yeah, my bad, not sure what i was thinking about when i posted that
Old 19-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #38
chipa
Crazy Member

tis all good. Would have been interesting to see you try tho....

Old 23-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #39
illusivedreams

Send a message via MSN to illusivedreams
1 MDF is the way to go , better sound properties.

Why not mount your amps in the boot on the back seat . Probably the best for the amp.
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote