Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Motorsports

Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
LordWorm

Car: .
New PB at 2nd round of willowbank street series

Andrew and I just got back from the 2nd round of the willowbank street series. I really only went there to get some times for the car, and I'm really happy with the results.

in the end I shaved a considerable amount off my old PB.

Old PB: 16.174@84.11MPH
New PB: 15.581@87.55MPH

Things that have changed since last time out:
Installed AWR front mount
Installed Short Shifter
Installed Microtech....

so for such a little amount of work, and a really quick twiggy tune (still got more in it he reckons.....), i'm really happy with the results.

Ended up getting knocked out in the first round of the eliminators... was my first time racing in a competition, and i really stuffed the launch...bad RT, and perhaps a slightly too ambitious dial in....but meh... i'm happy....

Thanks to Andrew for coming out and crewing for me....as well as looking after the tune for me.

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Thats great news there greggles
I hope that Andy taught you how to read the christmas tree and when to release the clutch
I assume the car was gutted on the inside
Time to upgrade the suspension and get better rubber
This will assist your consistancy
As will a HD clutch
Power makers can come later
Good work
Pete
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
congrats greg - keep lowering ur PB

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
LordWorm

thanks Pete and Ryan.....its always good to see the numbers fall

Oh yeh...reading the tree is no hassle....i can usually get REASONABLE lights...its just this time, well......like everyone keeps telling me, racing is a totally different kettle of fish....so i stuffed my first ever "real" race...oh well.

Clutch is still going strong...i'm making enough power to shave what, 0.6secs off my time and the clutch doesnt care...hehe....you'll be disappointed cos its not dead yet :P

Yeh better rubber is on the cards...just gotta find some reasonably light 15's....then i'll be running RA1s.

The next upgrade is the exhaust system and cams - both are pretty much paid for and ready to go...i'm trying to sell off a few things i have laying around the house that never get used, to help finance the drive train and suspension upgrade....

I'm disappointed i didn't make it through the first round..woulda been nice to get a few more passes in...but i did what i went out there to achieve....smashed my old PB

oh yeh, totally gutted interior.....but the 16.1 was set on the same prep....

Old 10-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Yeah I am glad the clutch is still holding strong but you will be surprised how much better consistancy you will get with a better clutch
And thats what wins races, not your PB
So being told racing is a different kettle of fish and then having experienced it can only make you wiser and better for it
Good to see
Old 10-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbatman
Yeah I am glad the clutch is still holding strong but you will be surprised how much better consistancy you will get with a better clutch
And thats what wins races, not your PB
So being told racing is a different kettle of fish and then having experienced it can only make you wiser and better for it
Good to see
Oh yeh....totally agree

Theres work to be done, both to car and driver. I'm going to continue entering the street series because its really the only "race practice" i can get given the current speed of the car (wont qualify for sport compact just yet).... gotta get the nerves down on the line, gotta get my sh!t together, and gotta get the car behaving more consistantly...which like you said, means better clutch, better tyres, probably limited slip diff, and so forth...allt hose things are on the cards.

Only reason exhaust and cams are going in next is because they are already paid for plus PBs are always nice things to have

Immediate next things being done: Exhaust, and Cams (then tune the MT for 7000rpm redline)
As soon as I sell my saxophone: Lowering, swaybars, control arm bushings, wheels, tyres, clutch and maybe LSD if i can scrounge the money together.

You'll be pleased to know pete, my 60 foot times were all very low 2.3's, to very high 2.2's.... i guess those toyo's are a tiny bit nicer than the 3 year old stock crap i had

Old 10-12-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
Good work mate, although now I need to lift my game
Don't discount the crappy 3 yr old stocko tyres, I managed a 2.32 60ft time with my 3 year old stockos! I need to sell one of my kids on the black market to fund my car
So what are all your mods completed so far for that time?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper323
Good work mate, although now I need to lift my game
Don't discount the crappy 3 yr old stocko tyres, I managed a 2.32 60ft time with my 3 year old stockos! I need to sell one of my kids on the black market to fund my car
So what are all your mods completed so far for that time?
Yeh my best on old crappy rubber was 2.225 - but it was nowhere near as consistant as the toyos, and nowhere near as consistant as dedicated drag radials will be.

Mods to date: AWR front engine mount, TWM short shifter, Toyo Proxies 4 (not really a mod but meh), Microtech LT10S, Microtech X4, bosch ignition coils, 9 1/4 spiral core ignition leads.

Interior is stripped as per sports compact street fwd rules (rear seats and rear speakers removed...no spare tyre or tools...centre console removed).

Old 01-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
LordWorm

Went and competed at the 3rd round of the street series on saturday...made it one step further, winning the first round by the barest of margins (margin of victory was something like 0.014 seconds...chased down an unmodified VN and caught him at the last instant), before being beaten by a late model commodore by 0.044 seconds in the second round.

Petie will be glad to hear i was cutting good lights all night, with a 0.409 my best in the last race i had of the night...wasn't quite enough to get the commodore as he ran marginally closer to his dial in.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
when was this on? i thought it was on the 13th of Jan.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayryry
when was this on? i thought it was on the 13th of Jan.

ryan
nah 3rd round was saturday... 30th of Dec.

oh 13th of jan is summerslam i think.....3rd round of sports compact

this was the 3rd round of willowbank street series...basically entry level DYO racing...

Last edited by LordWorm; 01-01-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Nicely done there Greggles
Good to hear that its all starting to come together for you
Keep up the good work
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbatman
Nicely done there Greggles
Good to hear that its all starting to come together for you
Keep up the good work
Cheers mate..

Yeh I'm pretty happy with how consistant the car is running..it wasn't overly quick, as there was no track prep after a mostly wet week - tyres just would not hookup, and the amount of travel i've got in the clutch is getting less and less everytime I go out there (i reckon i've got about half a cm of slip now...before its fully engaged/disengaged.....also get a distinct burnt clutch smell at the end of every run......counting the days before it just dies now...).

I was on 2.3 60's all night, with huge tyre spin on the line. Also got my sh!t sorted out on the launch, concentrating on what I'm doing, not the clown beside me....in the end I didn't mind chasing (hated it the first time i tried...)...

Its a good little series - no money in it really, but good race practice - anyone whos been out to test and tunes and wants to have a go at "real" racing, its worth while coming out. Costs the same as a TNT, plus $5 for an andra day licence...they split you up into 3 brackets based on qualifying times, street eliminator, hot street and quick eliminator....theres an all girls bracket as well so bring your gf's out and see how they go....

Old 02-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
helps with an awesome twiggy tune
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
helps with an awesome twiggy tune
True...not that you had to do much to it... 3 minor adjustments and it was set for max power :P

Next thing on the shopping list is some decent track rubber....get those 60s down