Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 28-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
FLiP

Car: 2005 Polo GTi
Send a message via MSN to FLiP
What to expect kW/1/4 mile wise

I have a stock BA 1.8 hatch and am looking at doing a cold air intake and full 2 1/4 inch exhaust system including extractors.

Just wondering if anyone has had there's dyno'd or run a 1/4 mile with a similar setup and what were your results?

I would like to be running low 15s down the 1/4mile... do you reckon i can achieve this with these simple mods?

Thanks guys.
FLiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 28-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
AstinaBoiV6

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to AstinaBoiV6
umm probably not unless its the best freakin cai ever. actually if your launch is really good u mite make it but u mite need to think a few more basic mods aswell eg iridium sparkplugs, 10mm leads, get new piping for the filter so u get rid of the stock hose which is corrigated and extractors also helps.. Plus tyre pressure, low weight wheels and drag slicks and dont forget to tear out un-neccessary weight.. u mite even hit high 14s then lol depending on launch

Team AJ Member PM 4 details
AstinaBoiV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
b3motorsports.com BA cold air intake???
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
FLiP

yeh... i've seen your threads but it's a bit pricey... esp. once you send it to sydney... i wanted to be ur guinea pig/demo... but it ain't happening

i was gonna keep the intake stock from the MAF and north and run either aluminium piping or metallic finish flex pipe from there to the filter. It's either that or use a short ram with a heat shield and run a really fat flex pipe from where cold air enters the grill to the pod.

question... what would you guys charge just for the piping and all the necessary clamps... no filter... i know the price isn't finalised as yet... but just a guestimate.

gotta wait for the tax return though... man i love tax returns...

cheers

oh yeh... anyone reading this... im selling my k&n panel $50 o.n.o... only 6000kms, 5 months old.
Old 29-06-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstinaBoiV6
umm probably not unless its the best freakin cai ever. actually if your launch is really good u mite make it but u mite need to think a few more basic mods aswell eg iridium sparkplugs, 10mm leads, get new piping for the filter so u get rid of the stock hose which is corrigated and extractors also helps.. Plus tyre pressure, low weight wheels and drag slicks and dont forget to tear out un-neccessary weight.. u mite even hit high 14s then lol depending on launch
Sorry Andrew but plugs and leads wont make you go faster
10mm leads are for knobs
Even PAC mx6 (6.96 @ 196mph doesn't have 10mm leads, you are aware the core is still the same as a standard lead but you have more insulation)
Weight reduction will help but apart from full exhaust and CAI you will need reground camshafts and ECU
Twiggy has 140whp and when gutted to race has managed 14.745
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
I've got a BJ, 1.8L, and with all the seats pulled out, no exhaust, no wing, standard wheels, and a pod filter I managed a 15.87, so you would get around that with your mods, maybe a bit quicker with a proper CAI
Old 29-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hey ripper, your time is exceptional though, eg: even when twilight had cams, I/H/E he was doing 15.42 with weight some reduction (he didn't have as good bottom end back then).

To me it sounds like weight reduction does atleast equal to or greater improvements on your times as power mods. Twilight moved to 15.2s with good tyres and clutch/lightweight flywheel. So there's always something to be gained.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLiP
I have a stock BA 1.8 hatch and am looking at doing a cold air intake and full 2 1/4 inch exhaust system including extractors.

Just wondering if anyone has had there's dyno'd or run a 1/4 mile with a similar setup and what were your results?

I would like to be running low 15s down the 1/4mile... do you reckon i can achieve this with these simple mods?

Thanks guys.
If you want to do it without gutting your car, then no. i think you'd still be getting 16s/low 16's with just CAI and exhaust.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
LordWorm

Car: .
Yeh weight reduction is your friend.... Easiest way to improve your power to weight ratio etc.

FLiP: We can probably come to an ex-filter arrangement for you... and have you source your own filter.... email us and we'll try and arrange something. Bare in mind you will need to source your own filter, probably with an angled flange, otherwise you will have fun trying to get it to fit! (would fit with mods, etc, but wouldnt be ideal). Price for a complete cold air system like ours is pretty reasonable when compared to other things...

Give weight reduction a go though, you may be surprised like Ripper was =)

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
Yeh weight reduction is your friend.... Easiest way to improve your power to weight ratio etc.

Give weight reduction a go though, you may be surprised like Ripper was =)
Suprised I'm still going on about it now, can't shut me up!!
Yeah weight reduction is a good way of doing things. It's free pretty much and it took me about 1 1/2 hours to take all the stuff off that I did. Is only a few bolts to take all your seats out, and 4 bolts to take the centre section of your exhaust out, you get my drift anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Your time is exceptional
I wouldn't go that far, although one of my time slips does say that my trap speed was 99mph, although I'm pretty sure that was a stuff up!

Last edited by Ripper323; 29-06-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Ripper323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper323
Suprised I'm still going on about it now, can't shut me up!!
Yeah weight reduction is a good way of doing things. It's free pretty much and it took me about 1 1/2 hours to take all the stuff off that I did. Is only a few bolts to take all your seats out, and 4 bolts to take the centre section of your exhaust out, you get my drift anyway.
Once you get a system, it gets quicker..

I was helped with my first weight reduction effort, and it took about an hour..when i had a crack myself (1 person doing it, not 3) but actually knew what i was going to take out and in what order, i had it nailed in under half an hour.

Taking the exhaust off would have obviously taken more time...

but yeah, absolutely free (unless you break something)

Old 29-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #12
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
i guess that big rule of horse racing applies here too.... a light jockey will always help you!!

i know unifilter have an angled pod filter....
Old 29-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus
i guess that big rule of horse racing applies here too.... a light jockey will always help you!!

i know unifilter have an angled pod filter....
Yeah - anyone weigh like, 20kg wanna take my car down the quarter ? so far only circa 100kg ppl have had a crack at it

Yeh as long as the angle is between 20 and 30 degrees it shouldnt be a problem. Prices have been worked out for the CAI less pod..will post details tomorrow when i start up the GB thread (assuming our manufacturer gets back to us, slack bastards have needed chasing twice every day for a week!!!!)

Old 29-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I wish I was only 100kg! I could take off the hatch, the bonnet, and everything tied down and still may not compensate for my weight offset against a normal 70kg bloke... The 'rolla boys would still whinge at me rocking up with that much weight reduction though...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #15
platypus
living in the past man

i'm still only 63kg....
Old 30-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #16
FLiP

yeh ok... thanks for all the advice guys... looks like my first run might be stock... it's unlikely that i'll install any major mods before then though... i'll just go for some weight reduction...

im only 70kg... so that's no worries... i'll remove my amp and sub and parcel shelf with 6x9s... that's a fair bit of weight...

by the way (for anyone in sydney)... im going to eastern creek on the 12th july... i'll be in the noble green BA with the socceroos flag ... what can i say... im a patriotic guy and that flag isn't coming off!!!

there'll be some guys there from the 'rolla club... looking forward to it...

PM me if you wanna meet up there

www.wsid.com.au for details
Old 30-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
platypus
living in the past man

still it would reduce drag...

wonder how it will go in scrutineering?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #18
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
kind of funny reading this, I've always gone more power, and added more weight.

but I do know weight reduction works especially above 14second 1/4 mile cars. it's not as noticeable on quicker cars. this is in terms of MPH I find. the seconds are lower.

It is amazinlg how much quicker some cars are with less weight. espeically les torque motored cars.

Oh yeah at the WSID - NO flag will be allowed. otherwise NO RACE.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #19
Beau

Car: 300zx
Send a message via MSN to Beau
hey.. how much is that racing? id like to go down for a bitta fun.. do u have a mate goin to race? if i went i think id get a mate so i dont get snapped too badly.. wouldnt wanna come up against a supercharged commodore or some ****..

ill be happy if i do a pass in under 30 secs
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #20
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau
hey.. how much is that racing? id like to go down for a bitta fun.. do u have a mate goin to race? if i went i think id get a mate so i dont get snapped too badly.. wouldnt wanna come up against a supercharged commodore or some ****..

ill be happy if i do a pass in under 30 secs
A normal TNT night here in brissy is what, 36 bucks? gets one racer and one spectator in (spectator can bring car in as a parts bin if you so desire).

to do a 30 second quarter you'd have to try hard, i'd imagine that a normal city bus would do a pass quicker than that =)

i saw an automatic clapped out volvo run something like a 24second pass last time.... beat up heap of junk with an auto tranny...you gotta be able to do better than that surely

but yeh, its great fun... best ~$36 you could spend in my opinion....get out and see some hot cars, breathe in nitromethane fumes and see huge burnouts, then go and run the ring out of your car trying to get PBs...heaps of fun =)