Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 07-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
should i install a surge tank?

hey guys, i have a problem with my turbo BG. i've got some seriously sticky rubber on it and when i take a corner with increased speed and less than 1/3 of a tank of fuel the engine will splutter and almost stall from what i'm assuming is fuel starvation. former owner did the BPT conversion and i assume left the stock fuel pump in place.

i know the easy option is to keep it above 1/3 full, but how expensive would a lift pump/surge tank setup be and would it be necessary? could i run a bigger pump with what i have or will the shape of the tank/pickup always cause problems?
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
yeah it's an interesting one.

All I did was use a an import motor in my 626 and now the 330c injectors die on the same situation on my car it stops revving. Yet on the turbo mdoel it uses same injectors, and pump yet never a problem with the 275cc injectors of the older N/A motor.

But it's all tank desgin - for this reason some model cars have different tanks and baffles in the tanks.

So yes Surge tank is best.
It's better and more cost effective even if you have change able tank option.

Yes a really good fuel tank baffle desgin helps eliminate all problems but a decent size surge and using stock pump as the lift pump helps out best.

the fact it almost stalls means it's really bad. Minor fuel starve will hold revs untill fuel pressure is back up.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
zero_cool

Car: KH Turbo Laser
if you are still currently running the stock fuel pump that comes out with the BG's, no wonder it is starving, with those pumps
anything over stock boost with high revs will make it lean out like mad.

spend $160~ and get yourself a Walbro GSS-342 internal pump,
itis a direct fitment into the BG fuel bracket with some slight cutting (the bell oouth of the bracket will need to be cut off and you use a bit of EFI hose
wire it up
shoudn't take ore than 20mins

you will then have a fuel system rated upto 500hp which will be MORE than ample, if you are still having fuelling issues after replacing the pump with the above then something is wrong...

even linked you!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WALBRO-GSS342-FUEL-PUMP-HOLDEN-FORD-HSV-FPV-XR6-TURBO_W0QQitemZ370184289425QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_C ar_Parts_Accessories?hash=item370184289425&_trksid =p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3 A1318
zero_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
yeh zero that sounds like the easiest solution, however i run 10psi and have never had a problem at all when the tank is full. i reckon i will need the surge tank in line with the current fuel system to stop it dying. whats a good non-lift pump, bosch 088 or whatever the VL ones use? as the pump is in-tank, do the fuel lines run under the car or through a rail or something? are the fuel lines easy to get to to install the surge tank setup?
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Your thinking of the Bosch 044 external pump, used in conjunction with a lift pump (Stock or Bosch 040) Its probably 1 of the most reliable setups around.

Im doin this with a 1.5L surge tank under the car in the 180...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/

Last edited by zappy65; 09-04-2009 at 10:32 PM.
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
mcwilly

Car: 323 astina
I have the The walbro zero cool was talking about and
making 170kw atw on 16psi and have no issues. Surge tank isn't required I wouldn't think
Old 24-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
The previous owner of the Lynx (ok it's a KJ not a BG) said it had bad fuel surge below 1/3rd of a tank.

Once we fixed and correctly adjusted the Fuel Pressure regulator, changed the timing to something more sane, plumbed the BOV correctly the "Surge" dissappeared.

While it may be fuel surge you're experiencing there's more than likely to be a "simpler" problem giving you the same effect due to the fuel slopping about in the tank and the pump sucking a little air every now and then when cornering. Look at fuel pressure - too low due to poor regulator, or poor factory fuel pump controller setup or something like that.

A.