Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 09-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #41
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
pull out a plug??? he is lucky the heads are still attached ...
Someone confiscate the bat spanners quick
Old 10-04-2005, 07:12 AM   #42
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
pull out a plug??? he is lucky the heads are still attached ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude
Someone confiscate the bat spanners quick
What are you all saying, I havent pulled it apart completely, the heads are still attached to the block. Only as I dont have an engine stand or they would be off too.
Come on guys I have been bored, I dont start the new job till Tuesday so whats a guy gonna do............
I tend toi look at things from a positive point of view and with that at least I can replace all the gaskets and know that they arent a weak point....Yeah thats wahat I am going to tell them
I promise to bolt it all together again, honestly

Seriously now for a minute folks, I was thinking of a rebuild section for my doco which shows all the different parts (with part numbers) both off and on the car. So that the engine from now on will be void of mystery and hopefully manages to answer some of the questions about the KL series engine so that we all are a bit more learned from this day forward
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #43
Mr MX6

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr MX6
don’t just pull the heads of for fun mate.. you have to replace the head bolts and obviously the head gaskets if you do and they aren’t cheep.. and that motor look quite young.... but yea swap the water pump and headcover gaskets, belt.. etc that is a given..

you know the Mazda millennia has the same intake shape (square ports) for the intake gaskets .. unless you just silicone them up..

Oh yea and both curved and normal manifolds will clear the hood on a hard top astina
but again look @ the numbers & make sure it has forgies or all this will be a waste of your time..

Last edited by Mr MX6; 10-04-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Mr MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #44
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr MX6
don’t just pull the heads of for fun mate.. you have to replace the head bolts and obviously the head gaskets if you do and they aren’t cheep.. and that motor look quite young.... but yea swap the water pump and headcover gaskets, belt.. etc that is a given..

you know the Mazda millennia has the same intake shape (square ports) for the intake gaskets .. unless you just silicone them up..

Oh yea and both curved and normal manifolds will clear the hood on a hard top astina
but again look @ the numbers & make sure it has forgies or all this will be a waste of your time..
I am only pulling the heads to gain access to the combustion chamber as when the engine was tipped during transportation 3 sparkplug recesses got oil in them and when I pulled the plugs out I discovered this problem and now I have oil on the piston tops and I need to get in to clean it all out, it also lets me find out what condition the cylinder bores are in to give me a good indication of the health of the rings. It pays to play it safe to eliminate any future worries/hassles.
My mechanic has no hassles in picking up the Square port gaskets for this engine which is good as I dont want to undergo any half cocked silicone she'll be right fix up procedure. If I cant get the right gaskets etc I will find them
I have picked up a Davies Craig EWP and EWP controller and I am cutting the front off an old WP with a busted bearing and removing the impeller and welding a piece of aluminium to the cut off section, so not to impede the flow potential.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #45
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
yeah don't take anything apart just do to this,
But a piccy of each KF part and the KL part would be great

Maybe have little cards drawn up so can put them in the back ground and save staring at two photos you took a week ago of used gaskets or something wondering which was KL which was KF.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #46
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

I will be starting a list of part codes/ numbers between the 2 different engines along with accompanying shot of the part and the fitment. This will be a fully detailed doco which should leave no stone unturned. The only problem will be the fact that I wont be pulling the KF apart. And all of the parts compared will unfortunately be ZE parts so I will list the DE equivalent where I have the info available. If anyone has any other ideas for this doco please forward the interest and I will see what I can do about it
Old 11-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #47
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The oil on the pistons will burn off realy quickly and judging by the rest of the motor I'd gamble that the bores are in good shape. Alloy engines are very easy to warp if you don't take extreme care when removing heads.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #48
skippy
Resident Dissident

I can do KF Aus Spec pics if you wish,

But remember I am as handy as a blind mans light switch.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #49
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
mrmx6: are the internals on the KFze the same size as the us spec KL03? eg same hla's and valve spring and all that?? cos i know that the KL03 and the KLze are different sizes. this is so i can use aftermarket valvetrain from the us for the us spec KL.

pete: are your goin to pull the Kf apart much??

and i know why the front and back heads have diff codes is because on the KLZe the intake side of things are just a touch bigger than the exhaust

Thx Tim
Old 12-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #50
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Tim
Here is some KL specs for the HLAs
KL03 HLA size (same for intake and exhaust)
Overall Diameter- 1.180" or 29.97mm (this is the 30mm HLA)
Diameter at Oil Relief- 1.119" or 28.42mm
Oil Relief Depth- 0.030" or 0.77mm
Overall Height- 0.948" or 24.08mm

KLZE HLA size (intake, exhaust is the same as KL03 sizes above)
Overall Diameter- 1.298" or 32.96mm (this is the 33mm HLA)
Diameter at Oil Relief- 1.235" or 31.37mm
Oil Relief Depth- 0.031" or 0.80mm
Overall Height- 1.021" or 25.93mm
Here is a thread at mx-3.com with information aimed more at the KF-ZE its a bit blah blah but you have quite a few pages to extract the info from so tie some string to your toe and dive right in

I will be doing a full inspection on the KF-ZE when its out of the car but am unsure how far I will take the repair route, only time will tell but with new head gaskets last year and new IM gasket, valve cover gaskets, timing belt and tensioner,cam seals and other parts replaced at the end of last year I dont feel that I will wish to start tugging at it. Although I may end up replacing bad HLAs but the rings will be staying and I am unsure of the condition of the valve seals.
Who Knows
Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #51
Mr MX6

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr MX6
I seriously wouldn’t worry about a bit of oil in the combustion chamber mate.. if it isn’t broke don’t fix it… Probably the oil came from the good old valve cover lek the k series is famous for…
I
As to the insides of a KFZE I have no clue all I have ever done on a kf is pull the underpowered boat anchor out.. .

And sure use the factory gaskets. .but don’t knock silicone .. you get some fantastic ones nowadays.. infact could be argued better than the rubber gaskets.
One other thing about silicone .. use it on the valve cover gaskets on the corners and the curved sections.. Mazda does from the factory..

Last edited by Mr MX6; 12-04-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Mr MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #52
skippy
Resident Dissident

Whats the ECU plans?
Old 14-04-2005, 09:45 AM   #53
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
microtech lt-12s - see the eoi thread in the performance section
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #54
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
pete when u pull the engine out you dont have to do anything to it, when i get it am goin to fully strip it, take the heads off get them ported and polished.

if the inside of the kfze is the same size of the kl03 i will get the valves and springs from the US and i want to knock the compression up to so new pistons my be in order so all that stuff will be replaced as well....
Old 16-04-2005, 05:10 AM   #55
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Alrighty Tim I shall leave that in your hands
Old 16-04-2005, 10:55 AM   #56
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
I can't wait to the old bat KFZE turned into a fire breathing beast in Tim's gay auto. He was telling me about his plans on the last cruise and it sounds like it's gonna be nicely done methinks.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote