Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 21-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
BrownDog

Car: 1997 BA "The Red Baron"
Water Pump Cactus??

So driving home from work today I noticed this sweet burning smell, kinda like srawberrys, and then later a whine, so I pulled over and found out the radiator was empty. After filling the radiator up and driving home it was time for inspection.

The radiator wasnt as empty but still low, the whine is coming from the around the water pump area and it matches the revs, the smell is more noticeable from the alternator area and I also noticed the temp gauge doesn't really move, the fans turn on more than usual and if i rev it out the temp gauge goes down to cold and as soon as I let off it goes straight back to the normal area

Pretty sure its the pump, but just need clarification before I buy a new one. Also thinking I'll do a timing belt while its all pulled apart

Oh and the oil isnt creamy so don't think its leaking there
Cheers

The Red Baron

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My Madza 323 Goes...
SSSSSSSSTUUTUUTUU
BrownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDog View Post
the fans turn on more than usual and if i rev it out the temp gauge goes down to cold and as soon as I let off it goes straight back to the normal area
this sounds like a thermostat stuck open.

the smell and whine i cant really help you with. maybe it is time to get a new girlfriend?
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
TheMAN

Car: .
noise could be alternator bearings or water pump bearings

if there is water loss, it could be a leak... when water pumps fail, they leak or bearings go bad
Old 22-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
yeah as above 90% I get the minor leak under cam belt warning. As they normally leak through the bearing it self. unless it has a relief hole which some do.

I'd say cool it down do a full bleed of the system. If the thermostat is stuck open it won't bleed normally. If you haven't done it before I don't know how to describe difference.

at worse the bearings could be seized and your screaming on the belt/bearings (not sure if KF or BP )
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
BrownDog

Never really bled the system before

The pully for the water pump spins so not seized, gonna take the belt off tomoz and see if there is play in the bearing, not sure where the water is going as it doseng leave puddles anywhere and I don't see drips, but then again the wine isn't there at idle so maybe it jus lakes while doing highway driving.

I think its at a "warning" stage, where its not completely rooted but time for replacement

Don't think salt bearing is dead because when hovering my ear around the engine bay the wine is loudest inline with the motor

Its BP motor too btw

The Red Baron

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My Madza 323 Goes...
SSSSSSSSTUUTUUTUU
Old 22-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Old Grey

Car: Astina BG 1991 - Rx7 S4
While the engine is idling put the tip of a large long screwdriver on the waterpump, then altenator, and the other end in your ear - crude stethoscope -. Check whether the Alt or WP is making the louder noise, and that usually tells you which one.
Old Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
TheMAN

Car: .
whining noise could be power steering pump too
Old 22-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
BrownDog

Nah had the second belt that runs around the ac and power steer off and it still whines

Also noticed that there is water coming out the exhaust, I know this normal at startup in the morning but shouldn't be after a drive down the road and back a few times

Also it dosent sound the same when starting and it runs like crap

The Red Baron

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My Madza 323 Goes...
SSSSSSSSTUUTUUTUU
Old 22-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
BrownDog

so the whine wa found coming from the alternator tanx to old grey's screwdriver method, but i still cant find a leak or the source of this coolent burning smell or the smoke

The Red Baron

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
My Madza 323 Goes...
SSSSSSSSTUUTUUTUU
Old 22-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
Old Grey

Car: Astina BG 1991 - Rx7 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDog View Post

Also noticed that there is water coming out the exhaust, I know this normal at startup in the morning but shouldn't be after a drive down the road and back a few times

Also it dosent sound the same when starting and it runs like crap
Using coolant and constant water coming from the exh sounds like the head gasket.

Warm up the car, fill the water to the brim, and with the cap off look for bubbles coming from the filler.
Also pull the plugs and look for clean plugs - the water steam cleans them -
The proper test is a litmus CO2 pressure test from a mechanic.

Last edited by Old Grey; 22-11-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old Grey is offline   Reply With Quote