Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 26-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #21
mazdaguy01

Car: 323 astina bj
Ah cool thanks mate. Might one day get it finished. The quads are sitting in my garage still from years ago poor things lol
mazdaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #22
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
i know how you feel...i got twins sittin in mine haha...but ive got an ecu there too...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina GT Turbo
Send a message via MSN to dave0r
idle @ 2k
hmm did you check that they are closed and you cannot see any light in each of the TB?? my 3rd TB still has light coming in

id start there
dave0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #24
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0r View Post
no the Link G3 will be using TPS,MAP and RPM based map tables tuning all together. its also got a "4D" mapping feature to run with low vacume multi butterfly configurations

Zappy".....NO comment. Pic please. dont post TRD or Atlantic engines..as these are not released to the public
but...
i dont understand this
""is there a reason for this intriquet design?...did you design and fabricate it yourself,"" meaning you've never seen these velocity stacks/Trumpets before!!

then this?
""Oh yeah FYI:The 20v 4age came out with more then 1 design of trumpets...there were exactly 3 different designs made and produced within the time frame of the 20v""

meaning you have infact seen these, or else you above post wouldnt get you into a blackhole
Bhahahaha, shows how much you know, Ive seen dozens of different designs that were custom and not, I however havent seen your's before, either because people get custom ones or take them off....i dont know...i asked firstly if that was custom "because i have never seen them before" and secondly telling you that ive seen plenty of others is in no way refering to seeing yours at all....as for the black hole....id better not go there...Ive been told by many that the ITB's were always changing, even ever so slightyl...oh yeah TRD ITB's were sold to the public, just like TRD racing products are sold directly form Toyota NOW!!! for Aurions, AE86's and the like....i know this because I have TRD stuff sitting at my work all the time for customers to pick up....Your really starting to p!ss me off....Im not going to take pics just to prove my point, i know im correct in this particular matter...i dont need to prove it to myself so i dont need to prove it to anybody else.....

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #25
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Take a chill pill, Mr Zappy.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #26
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
nice set up dude ... love the sounds of quads

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #27
outbakoz
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatch
Interesting project. I got given a link of a shop in melbourne that does itb work by a client of mine who builds racing mini's and plays with itb's fairly frequently. Hope it helps

http://www.efihardware.com/efi_main_page.html

My Car
outbakoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #28
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0r View Post
no the Link G3 will be using TPS,MAP and RPM based map tables tuning all together. its also got a "4D" mapping feature to run with low vacume multi butterfly configurations

Avoiding the other stuff.

NIce - be nice to see how it all turns out.

I found out how much easier it is tuning Carbys on Race 1600cc Open wheeler is then Using a ECU and TPS mapping.

One screw adjustment here and there. so easy.

Nah 4D mapping is a big help. Havn'et used the Link setup. Havne't had anyone I know use it yet.

My only wonder is - How you plan ot feed it Air ?

Easy in Rwd clubmans and open wheelers etc but in the FWD layout - What are planning - reverse vacum feed or just open? I just wonder.
It's something I just always wonder about.

Because I know the amount you can loose by creating some sort of plenum chamber to feed multis Sometimes not worth it in the first place. Not that I think you would even bother

unlike in this case. This motor

Yes LS1

It got some intake covers made up with ducts to feed it.
Still makes on 600HP but has been have trouble since gettign new covers made up to feed air into the Multi throttle bodys.

I'm not surei f it was tune or to do with the intake feeds
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #29
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

i looked at a twin carby setup, another person in NZ is doing his n/a build with carbs instead, look good i must say, but he still hasnt told me much about his setup, hes using a B6 carby dizzy for vacume advance etc thats all i no,

air feed will be direct from the engine bay with sock filters
if thats too loud,,and it prolly will be so;
i'll hack up the factory air box that toyota created with the factory velocity stacks from toyota (stab stab take the bait, you no you want too) and use that with a feed from a cold air box in the front

Dam lov'n that LS1 setup
nothing sounds better than a N/A ITB V8 setup
do a youtube search for the NZ targa car one...1U v8 DAM, sends chills when they rev it
Old 27-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #30
rodhog

yeah I want to get more photos of the ls1 it's in a WB ute with full Caprice add ons and alot of modern things like even Reverseing camera custom Tanoue cover (SP what ever they call them hard shells)

I think as long as you feed it plenty of air if you have to box it should be fine.

If you have the space twin feed it ?

IMO - any N/A motor should have individual TB and nothign in the way of it.
maybe old school Ford Cosworth F1 mesh but that's it.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #31
Lawsy

Car: 323 Astina 92 (BP 1.8sohc)
Ok, someone needs to give me a replica of your motor now dave... seriously, this sohc business is really starting to get depressing.... ITS JUST SO SLOW!

Lawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #32
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

Lawsy you dont want my engine.

i only did this as i brought the Toyota and no sense having two turbo cars..it gets expensive really fast.

ANYways

some more spy photos!

Yes i no they dont "Match" perfectly but thats what Ali-epoxy filler is for...still should have got some Blacktop ones thou..a bit bigger and less likely to choke the motor at 7500k
Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #33
mazdaguy01

Not trying to hijack your thread but heres some photos of my ITB setup.

First one been the adaptor plate before fitting the manifold

And then with the manifold fitted

And last with the plenum, I wouldnt mind getting rid of the afm and just running trumpets with filters but all in good time lol

Last edited by mazdaguy01; 03-03-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: updating img links
Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #34
dave0r
AstinaGT Regular

looks good
how thick is that adapterplate?
i tried to have mine on a 7 Degree angle, but the flange isnt thick enough to do so

doesnt look too bad on a FS-DE engine, how does it go anyways?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #35
mazdaguy01

Um 25mm from memory, I wouldnt have minded a slimmer one but this way it clears the bolts for the cam cover and such and let me have a smoother change from the toyota port to the mazda port shape.

To be honest it goes like the clappers and sounds awseome but still havent sorted the ecu so apart from a few spurts around the block I havent done any road tests yet. 2k idel just isnt fun.

How are you for firewall clearance? Mine is awfully tight with the plenuim fitted.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #36
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Mate that looks really nice, maybe someday i might get sick of Turbo's and build me one of those, but like you said, all in due time....what do you mean by "goes like the clappers"?...does it accelerate crazily into the redline or what?...tell us some good points about the NA build you guys are doing?...are these things anything like the VTEC Honda's i see fangin round the place?...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #37
Lawsy

Car: 323 Astina 92 (BP 1.8sohc)
Please tell me you're going to get some extractors mazdaguy01, or that you already have some and that the picture above is before installing them..

Otherwise there's not much point to all this, as with an NA build up one of the most crucial power makers are your extractors...

I'm fairly sure you already know that, but just incase I thought I'd post up anyway...

And dave, I have a SOHC. It is so damn frustratingly slow that It nearly brings me to tears (and I've got a good set of extractors, exhaust, I run 98 fuel because I've advanced the timing, good leads, plugs and whatnot, good intake setup and compression is good, very good considering how old it is); its just painful.

Lawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #38
mazdaguy01

Sorry zappy65 goes like the clappers=It accelerates so much faster, its about the same sort of acceleration that I get from a 50hp shot of nos... The power gain would be no where near that mind you. The vtec motors have a hit of power as they get up into the higher rev ranges, by changing the manifold we lose the vcis system which is a varible restriction in out intake manifold, which gave somewhat of a similar effect. But this means more air all the time. Of course not as fuel efficient. So unlike the hit of power from a vtec motor this is a more constant build of power accros the rev range.
Correct me if im wrong on this.....

Lawsy im still getting the system running smoothly then im looking at lightend flywheel, extractors and ce as well as maybe high comp pistons and possibly look at upping the nos for some added poke.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #39
rodhog

The VICS system is more for torque at the lower end and to provide effectivley two inlet runners.
Same sort of thing on 4L falcons etc.
In a boosted application - remove it.

The ultimate N/A for non varibale camshaft setup is have both. A short for helping larger cam shafts and long for air speed in the lower end.

It's a bit like - dual plane versus single plane manifolds on a V8.
Dual's are shorter but due to desgin give more mid range, with some loss in the top end. a Single is straighter and more direct air flow in so it's all mid to top end.

If oyu could seperate the VICS , by haveing quads on it feeding righ into it and with the right cma shaft application change over just on when the camshafts becomes efficent. you could have very strong bottom end with a real wack at the top.

The question is what camshafts are you running with this quad setup?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #40
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
VICS is a swear word for me now. Carless for 2 weeks. After borrowing a 121, a Getz, a VY Commodore and a Lanos, I really miss my car even more.

Those ITBs look very interesting. You may even be able to sell a few kits once the bugs are sorted out. Here or in North America on the Mazda Forums where there are some fairly serious NA builds happening.

Please keep us updated, maybe with your own build thread?
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote